• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Luke Vivian

Howsie

International Captain
After seeing him play for Auckland on Sunday, and from what I've heard about him is he any chance of playing for NZ in the two 20/20 games against India. He could be our David Warner, very little domestic cricket but play for his country.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The guy is built like a tank but he's only got one good T20 knock to his name heck we may as well put RUTHERFORD in for his knock against Wellington.

Really can't see how we could possibly replace McCullum/Ryder at the top, or Taylor in the middle, Nathan McCullum and James Franklin are both much better than Vivian too.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is a beast of a man. He played pretty well for the Aucks against Canterbury in the televised match and scored 55* off 18 against Northerns, apparently.

Didn't look as if he was just a biffa either. He took a couple of singles from his first 6-8 balls and then once his eye was in he attempted to belt the leather off the ball. His first six came off the edge (and would have been out at a larger ground, no doubt) but when he middled one, it was a case of "lost ball"!

thierry henry

International Coach
They said on air he was "6'5" and 116kg", where they got those numbers from anyone knows.

tbh I have to question the credentials of a 27 year old only just breaking into NZ domestic cricket. Having said that I personally know a 25/26 year old who is freakishly talented and hasn't played for Auckland yet so I guess there could be any number of reasons for it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
They said on air he was "6'5" and 116kg", where they got those numbers from anyone knows.

tbh I have to question the credentials of a 27 year old only just breaking into NZ domestic cricket. Having said that I personally know a 25/26 year old who is freakishly talented and hasn't played for Auckland yet so I guess there could be any number of reasons for it.
:-O He's a titan.

Natman20

International Debutant
I'd give him a go. It's Twenty/20 and no-one really cares about results anyway. Play players on their merits and form in the domestic games and I think he and McCullum would be pretty cloe to a call up. McCullum very close to an ODI call-up imo maybe replacing Patel.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd give him a go. It's Twenty/20 and no-one really cares about results anyway. Play players on their merits and form in the domestic games and I think he and McCullum would be pretty cloe to a call up. McCullum very close to an ODI call-up imo maybe replacing Patel.
Would be a good selection, losing only a smidge in the bowling, nothing in the fielding, gaining a lot in the batting.

thierry henry

International Coach
Athlai, why so sickeningly sensible re: suggestions of dropping Jeets?

imo Bruce Martin seems to be the #2 OD spinner in the country but horribly unfashionable for some reason?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Something that is happening more and more in Australia though, ITBT. Australia and, from what I gather, New Zealand's systems are more welcoming of late blossomers. Whereas English system means that if you don't look like being any good by the age of 20, you're cooked.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Something that is happening more and more in Australia though, ITBT. Australia and, from what I gather, New Zealand's systems are more welcoming of late blossomers. Whereas English system means that if you don't look like being any good by the age of 20, you're cooked.
I don't think you can compare Australia and NZ

With Australia I'm sure the reason there are so many late blossomers in FC cricket is the same as why there are so many in international cricket- the general high standard of the incumbents

e.g. David Hussey didn't make his FC debut until 25, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't because he suddenly became awesome, but simply because he was plying his trade while good incumbents were preferred

Domestic cricket in NZ isn't nearly as strong, if you can't crack it by 27 you probably aren't much good, or you have some interesting back-story- e.g. been in jail for the last 10 years or had never heard of cricket until yesterday.

Flem274*

123/5
Brad Patton is 29 iirc and his FC stats are ****ing amazing (its early in his career, but still). Average of 60-70 iirc.

Natman20

International Debutant
We are talking about someone for the T20 team. All he has to do is hit the ball hard. Doesn't have to have an amazing record in other forms of the game. Obviously probably never made it into domestic teams because a player like him wasn't required until development of T20 and strategies with selections.

Last edited: