• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***World Cup 2011 Qualifiers

Which 4 countries do you think will make the cut?

• Total voters

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
I think give them matches against test sides and england steal irelands players. If cricket is to survive we must make it a truly international game, like soccer. Maybe not that international.

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
Who actually qualified?
And why are they playing, bring them up to scratch first I think as I sed before, then let them play world cup. Australia plays a match against Scotland before the ashes as a warm up ODI, but who will watch it? Not me.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Who actually qualified?
And why are they playing, bring them up to scratch first I think as I sed before, then let them play world cup. Australia plays a match against Scotland before the ashes as a warm up ODI, but who will watch it? Not me.
any ideas bringing them up to scratch? I think this qualification tournament is not only a qualification tournament, but also the WC for association teams, it's to make sure they compete each other enough and work up their own standard, so maybe one day an associate cricket team can beat a test team..

oh wait?! that already happend...

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
any ideas bringing them up to scratch? I think this qualification tournament is not only a qualification tournament, but also the WC for association teams, it's to make sure they compete each other enough and work up their own standard, so maybe one day an associate cricket team can beat a test team..

oh wait?! that already happend...
Two things would like to see based on THe World Cup itself and the World Cup Qualifiers

1. This issue of the ICC World Cup qualifiers have any kind of bearing on qualification to the Intercontinental Cup ought to be examined and at depth. Itv may make some sense to argue that because the Intercontinental Cup was created on the notion of giving World Cup playing associates a place to learn to play more consistent and disciplined cricket to be more competitive at World Cups, it does not mean that that is the only thing it is for. The way its worked out is teams are being pushed to fielding nominal XIs, what with their better players having bigger incentives to do other things (jobs, county contracts, etc)Tthrow in the idea that beacuse teams do not get anything other than a big shiny cup for winning that marathon of a competition and, can afford to park at the bottom of the table ad infinitum, so long as they turn up in the top 6 of the next ICC World Cup qualifiers and the whole noble ideal of the Intercontinental cup dies. The ICC need to create some kind of relegation-promotion system for the Intercontinental Cup that is separate from the World Cup Qualifiers as well as create some kind of incentive for the best players to make it worty their while to put aside their other commitments to play in the Intercontinetal cup on a regular basis.

2. As for the World Cup itself I would not mind if they intodued a plate, or a bowl competition as they do in Rugby sevens and return to more direct knockout matches in the later stages of the competition. It would give the lesser light a shiny trophy to play for, more matches and hopefully some consolation for those 'greater' powers that get knocked out of the main competition for 'having an off day' against some minnow.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That Australia tour is ludicrously long already, they're here for about four months. Although maybe with Scotland losing ODI status that match would be replaced in future. Unless the counties release players, though, they'll get a much better warm-up against a county side... and I can't see a county side wanting to release a player for that kind of match. Or lose their own lucrative warm-up matches.

Though... would be interesting to see what Symonds would get up to in Holland!
No we haven't.

Not qualifying for the World Cup is a huge blow financially for Cricket Scotland though.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Two things would like to see based on THe World Cup itself and the World Cup Qualifiers

2. As for the World Cup itself I would not mind if they intodued a plate, or a bowl competition as they do in Rugby sevens and return to more direct knockout matches in the later stages of the competition. It would give the lesser light a shiny trophy to play for, more matches and hopefully some consolation for those 'greater' powers that get knocked out of the main competition for 'having an off day' against some minnow.
Good idea. Surprised the I$$ haven't already come up with this but in league format to make it really boring.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who actually qualified?
The last world cup demonstrated quite conclusively that they are indeed up to scratch, but their success was then somehow used as a reason why they shouldn't be there.

No pleasing some people.