• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which would your cricket club tolerate more?

Who's actions would your club tolerate more?

• Total voters

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A member of your team who misses a training session, and hasn't always turned up sober to games...or a player choking your team's vice captain?

I know which one our club would crack down on harder. Our team isn't exaclty professional, and players regularly turn up to games hungover. However, our club would not tolerate any physical abuse towards other players, in particular the vice captain. They certainly wouldn't put the matter 'to bed', the offending player would get a serious suspension and possible expulsion from the club.

A player missing a training session would most likely not even miss a game.

It's pretty much comparing apples and oranges (sub districts to international cricke)t, but an interesting comparison none-the-less.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How serious was the "choking" though? Was it a mild scuffle or a Homer-on-Bart style assault? Or maybe it was Boston-strangler-style attempted murder?

I'm pretty sure we need to know the answer to this before we can say which is more serious.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Chocking :laugh:

definition:

The act of preventing forward movement (of a wheel/vehicle) with a chock.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Guys get into scuffles all the time. It’s the combustible combination of testosterone, ego, constant companionship and adrenaline.

It’s one of those things that you forget very quickly. A quick flash and then gone. You move on. These things work themselves out.

Unprofessionalism is a far greater sin and far more disrespectful to your teammates.

Evermind

International Debutant
Choking another player is a lot worse than turning up drunk, unless said player is Michael Clarke, in which case I'd be willing to overlook it.

pup11

International Coach
No doubt choking incident is more serious, but i think it really depends on how both players involved in the incident deal with it, i think if the blokes involved are ready to move on leaving the incident behind and not take it too seriously, then really there shouldn't be a problem,

Though if any of the one blokes, or both, further blow the whole incident out of proportion, then at most levels, the incident would be reviewed and the needful would be done.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Guys get into scuffles all the time. It’s the combustible combination of testosterone, ego, constant companionship and adrenaline.

It’s one of those things that you forget very quickly. A quick flash and then gone. You move on. These things work themselves out.

Unprofessionalism is a far greater sin and far more disrespectful to your teammates.
Yeah, agree. Making more of an issue of it probably sets the wheels in motion for it to hang over the club longer than it should. Just get on with it, forget it ever happened. Those two can sort out their issues.

Whereas Symonds has let down the whole club.

R_D

International Debutant

agree with this as well.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think I've been in a sports team where there hasn't been a bit of physical agro once in a while. 90% of the time it gets sorted over beers later that night or during the week.

No-one would tolerate a bloke like Symonds though who if reports are anything close to being true is just a disrespectful selfish ****.

pup11

International Coach
Someone was going to say it. Just glad for our respectability that it wasn't an Australian this time.
Aussie fans not in the best of the situations to that atm mate, otherwise someone might have given it a try.

pup11

International Coach
Depends on who is choked tbh.

But if was to impartial, I'd go for it if the choke indeed was grave.
Seriously disagree with this, i don't think their is any real excuse for a physically assaulting anybody, nobody how big a tool that bloke might be.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Being a South African club, we'd probably enourage choking.. We'd probably also encourage racism, and losing to anything Australian...

Oh..

Precambrian

Banned
Seriously disagree with this, i don't think their is any real excuse for a physically assaulting anybody, nobody how big a tool that bloke might be.
It was a tongue in cheek comment mate. But if Katman was doing it on Clarke, then I'd play alongwith it. Noone messes with Katmatmadman,

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it depends on the level one plays at. Mine, for instance, is pratically subterranean so there's no doubt that attempting to throttle the VC would be more frowned upon. A lot of the time we struggle to raise a quorum in the holiday season, so any body we can get onto the paddock is welcome, whatever the blood alcohol level of said body is.

In the higher ranks tho I'd image turning up bladdered is the greater sin.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Hungover or drunk?

I'd tolerate hungover in subdistricts cricket, but being actually drunk is a pretty low act to inflict on your teammates. As for the choking, you'd need to know the circumstances - bearing in my mind that blow ups do happen in team sport.