• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose the two opening bowlers for Post Packer World XI

Who are the TWO opening bowlers for the Post Packer Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingkallis

International Coach
lol andyc......I was like ahhhhhh someone else also thinks that Donald was worth a try but....grrrrr @ you voting for all!

JBH001

International Regular
When does the poll close? I am thinking of voting Akram and Donald, but may hold back a vote if it goes to the wire between Pidge and Paddles.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
everyone had "well-left" my comment on hadlee's batting ability being an extra reason to choose him, considering mcgrath and he are inseparable purely on bowling skills. it is a value addition that will come in handy from a team perspective, especially when your attacking wk-batsman at no.7 needs some lower order support.
Ahaha ehm, well, it's not something I wish to consider when picking my opening bowler. Hadlee can get a place as an all-rounder, maybe he can come on first or second change and bat at 8 behind Imran Khan. But if we're looking at who's going to open the bowling to take on a hypothetical Martians XI, I want the best possible bowler, nothing else. And i think McGrath's a comfortably better bowler by as much as one really can be when comparing two such incredible players, I wouldn't say they're "inseparable".

subshakerz

International Coach
everyone had "well-left" my comment on hadlee's batting ability being an extra reason to choose him, considering mcgrath and he are inseparable purely on bowling skills. it is a value addition that will come in handy from a team perspective, especially when your attacking wk-batsman at no.7 needs some lower order support.
I agree here. The bowling difference between Hadlee and McGrath is too close to call. Their career stats match up pretty well. McGrath bowled in a batsman-friendly era but had more assistance in terms of fielders, pressure created by support bowlers, and higher batting totals to play around with. Hadlee adds a extra dimension with his batting, which is not good enough to qualify him for the all-rounder slot but good enough to tip this position in his favor.

What an underrated player Hadlee is if you think about it. Imagine a Glen McGrath who could provide a bit with the bat as well.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree here. The bowling difference between Hadlee and McGrath is too close to call. Their career stats match up pretty well. McGrath bowled in a batsman-friendly era but had more assistance in terms of fielders, pressure created by support bowlers, and higher batting totals to play around with. Hadlee adds a extra dimension with his batting, which is not good enough to qualify him for the all-rounder slot but good enough to tip this position in his favor.

What an underrated player Hadlee is if you think about it. Imagine a Glen McGrath who could provide a bit with the bat as well.
But that's the point, he was an extremely good all-rounder, behind only (arguably) Sobers, Imran and Kallis.

However he was not quite as good as McGrath, given how much more bowler friendly his era was. McGrath stands head and shoulders over the next best bowlers of his era. Hadlee stands tall in the middle of the best bowlers of his era. The new pill in any of my teams goes to McGrath.

JBH001

International Regular
But is that because McGrath was that much better, or because he did not have enough top quality fast bowlers to compare against? Hence why he stands out so easily.

subshakerz

International Coach
But is that because McGrath was that much better, or because he did not have enough top quality fast bowlers to compare against? Hence why he stands out so easily.
Exactly. The only reason for being better than Hadlee given is that McGrath bowled in a batting-friendly era, which though correct, Hadlee can counter by saying that he achieved what he did without the support of a champion side. Statistically, there is not really that much to say one is decidedly superior.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath and Marshall. Nowhere to go if you're an opening batsman.

But geez it's a tough poll. Hadlee, Garner, Ambrose, Waqar, Wasim, etc. all top picks.

bagapath

International Captain
When does the poll close? I am thinking of voting Akram and Donald, but may hold back a vote if it goes to the wire between Pidge and Paddles.
i think you should vote right away - to hadlee and anyone other than mcgrath :)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i think you should vote right away - to hadlee and anyone other than mcgrath :)
Anti-Australian bias :p

I can understand why the kiwis want him there so much though, they're unlikely to get anyone else in the team.

I still think that you should play the best bowlers available with the new ball and those two bowlers are McGrath and Marshall.

bagapath

International Captain
Anti-Australian bias :p
you guys are slowly becoming like indian politicians; ascribing any personal opinion to that person's perceived racial, linguistic, nationalistic and religious preferences. why would i be biased against the aussies? after all they produced keith miller, adam gilchrist and victor trumper!

archie mac

International Coach
But that's the point, he was an extremely good all-rounder, behind only (arguably) Sobers, Imran and Kallis.

However he was not quite as good as McGrath, given how much more bowler friendly his era was. McGrath stands head and shoulders over the next best bowlers of his era. Hadlee stands tall in the middle of the best bowlers of his era. The new pill in any of my teams goes to McGrath.
I thought him a long way behind them, and would include Dev and Botham as well (not to mention Miller, Gregory, Faulkner, Foster, Mankad, Noble, Giffen, Rhodes, Reid, I could go on but you get the idea). His batting was nothing better then average imo

Personally I would have Paddles in front of McGrath:)

bagapath

International Captain
I thought him a long way behind them, and would include Dev and Botham as well (not to mention Miller, Gregory, Faulkner, Foster, Mankad, Noble, Giffen, Rhodes, Reid, I could go on but you get the idea). His batting was nothing better then average imo

Personally I would have Paddles in front of McGrath:)
arichiemac! which reid is this?

bagapath

International Captain
this is going to go down to the wire. anyways, the one losing out will be included in the fourth bowler's poll (where he will lose to murali, in all likelihood )

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

You forgot Miller. :)