• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose the two opening bowlers for Post Packer World XI

Who are the TWO opening bowlers for the Post Packer Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Precambrian

Banned
For a while there, he was perceived as only really bending his back or bowling at all when it was tail-enders, Bangladeshi or Zimbabwean batsmen at the other end. Quite a good bowler when he puts in, though.
Wrong perception. I don;t think anyone can take 200+ test wickets by just bowling at tailenders or with cheap Bang and Zim wickets.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Wrong perception. I don;t think anyone can take 200+ test wickets by just bowling at tailenders or with cheap Bang and Zim wickets.
At the time the perception was fair enough - this was a couple of years ago and it could be shown pretty clearly that Kallis' numbers - in both batting and bowling - were boosted significantly by cashing in heavily against the minnows.

To his credit, he's now more than proven his ability to score runs and take wickets against pretty much anybody, and the criticism is much less valid in my opinion.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Kallis is a better all-rounder than Sobers ever was.

But I guess the fact that you have a boner for pre-modern era cricketers cannot be helped.
The first statement is the silliest one you have made on this site, and it had some stiff competition:dry:

The 2nd statement is a mystery to me, I think Akram the best leftarmer in the history of the game

Sachin and Lara two of the best batsman I have ever watched

Warne is the 2nd best leg spinner in the history of the game

Ponting is 2nd or maybe third to Bradman as far as Aust. batsman go

Gilly is the best batsman/WK in the history of the game

And I could watch VVS Laxman all day, and I think Dumini (spelling) looks a great player and very stylish which I always like to watch

Just because I also rate players that played before you were born is nothing I feel the need to apologise for8-)

Beleg

International Regular
The first statement is the silliest one you have made on this site, and it had some stiff competition:dry:
Try harder next time.

The 2nd statement is a mystery to me, I think Akram the best leftarmer in the history of the game

Sachin and Lara two of the best batsman I have ever watched

Warne is the 2nd best leg spinner in the history of the game

Ponting is 2nd or maybe third to Bradman as far as Aust. batsman go

Gilly is the best batsman/WK in the history of the game

And I could watch VVS Laxman all day, and I think Dumini (spelling) looks a great player and very stylish which I always like to watch

Just because I also rate players that played before you were born is nothing I feel the need to apologise for8-)
Nonsensical red-herrings.

None of the individual statements above detract from the fact that you have, over the years, exhibited an undeniable bias towards players who happen to be glorified in cricketing lore. Kallis' record is broadly comparable to Sobers' achievements - and in many aspects - (better adversaries, a far more challenging cricketing climate, a packed cricket calendar, performance over a greater variety of pitches and conditions) eclipses him. For you to then call someone's claim 'ridiculous' is as clear an evidence of wishful, rose-tinted specs as I have ever seen.

Sean,

as I alluded to earlier, the following are the major reasons I consider Kallis to be a better all-rounder than Sobers.

(better adversaries, a far more challenging cricketing climate, a packed cricket calendar, performance over a greater variety of pitches and conditions)

archie mac

International Coach
Try harder next time.

Nonsensical red-herrings.

None of the individual statements above detract from the fact that you have, over the years, exhibited an undeniable bias towards players who happen to be glorified in cricketing lore. Kallis' record is broadly comparable to Sobers' achievements - and in many aspects - (better adversaries, a far more challenging cricketing climate, a packed cricket calendar, performance over a greater variety of pitches and conditions) eclipses him. For you to then call someone's claim 'ridiculous' is as clear an evidence of wishful, rose-tinted specs as I have ever seen.

Sean,

as I alluded to earlier, the following are the major reasons I consider Kallis to be a better all-rounder than Sobers.

They made sense8-) Well argued:laugh:

Again your lack of knowledge is embarrassing, Sobers was one of the first truly professional cricketers, he played pretty much all year round, playing every season in England which was six days a week, and more often then not he would play on Sunday as well.

He would then spent the off season playing back on the WI, Aust. or travelling somewhere with a 'select XI'. Sobers played all over the world, and was considered by everyone to be the best batsman of his generation one of the best fieldsman and the most versatile bowlers in the history of the game.

Let me say that I have nothing but great respect for Kallis, he is his a great player in the truest sense of the word, but imo not as great as Sobers:)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Key phrase 'for a while'. And it was uncanny how often he'd go missing against the top sides yet miraculously re-appear when some soft wickets were on offer.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To his credit, he's now more than proven his ability to score runs and take wickets against pretty much anybody, and the criticism is much less valid in my opinion.
Agreed with that. Bowled really well without a lot of luck this summer.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
OK Hadlee and McGrath are two of the finest fast bowlers in history. I couldn't choose between them and I doubt anyone but the most one-eyed Aussie or Kiwi would consider the contest to be anything other than extremely close.

Hadlee had more variety but McGrath's effectiveness, in an era where bat has dominated ball around the world, was quite amazing.

On the basis that they can't really be separated as bowlers, surely Hadlee's enormously dangerous batting must swing it in his favour?

The idea of a lower/middle order with Gilchrist at 7, Hadlee 8, Marshall 9, and (probably) Warne at 10 is pretty mouthwatering.

Precambrian

Banned
At the time the perception was fair enough - this was a couple of years ago and it could be shown pretty clearly that Kallis' numbers - in both batting and bowling - were boosted significantly by cashing in heavily against the minnows.

Sobers had his own critics till he shut them up with his glorious 365, didnt he? You can't say "he was like this that point of time".

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
They made sense8-) Well argued:laugh:

Again your lack of knowledge is embarrassing, Sobers was one of the first truly professional cricketers, he played pretty much all year round, playing every season in England which was six days a week, and more often then not he would play on Sunday as well.

He would then spent the off season playing back on the WI, Aust. or travelling somewhere with a 'select XI'. Sobers played all over the world, and was considered by everyone to be the best batsman of his generation one of the best fieldsman and the most versatile bowlers in the history of the game.

Let me say that I have nothing but great respect for Kallis, he is his a great player in the truest sense of the word, but imo not as great as Sobers:)
Sobers played around the world? He played in England. And if you think FC matches (regardless of their standards, which was quite high for County cricket in those days) are as pressurising as International matches, you are only deluding yourselves.

Kallis and Sobers have near identical batting stats at the end of 93 matches that Sobers played.

And Kallis has a better bowling record as compared to Sobers.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sober's had his own critics till he shut them up with his glorious 365, didnt he?
You mean the 365 he got in his 17th Test at the age of 21?

You can't say "he was like this that point of time".
I'm confused. Why can't you say that? Can you not assess a player at various points in their career and see how they've improved/declined/changed/adapted?

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Lovely. Now it's 25-25 between McGrath and Hadlee. I want Hadlee to win here so badly, since I necessarily want both Hadlee and Muralitharan in the playing XI...

Slifer

International Captain
Sobers played around the world? He played in England. And if you think FC matches (regardless of their standards, which was quite high for County cricket in those days) are as pressurising as International matches, you are only deluding yourselves.

Kallis and Sobers have near identical batting stats at the end of 93 matches that Sobers played.

And Kallis has a better bowling record as compared to Sobers.
Get ur facts straight. Sobers played 3 seasons of Sheffielf Shield cricket from '62-'64 and in 2 of the 3 seasons he achieved the very rare feat of scoring 1000 runs and taking 50 wkts (he scored 973 runs @73 in the other season and took 47 wkts).

Precambrian

Banned
Get ur facts straight. Sobers played 3 seasons of Sheffielf Shield cricket from '62-'64 and in 2 of the 3 seasons he achieved the very rare feat of scoring 1000 runs and taking 50 wkts (he scored 973 runs @73 in the other season and took 47 wkts).
Where did I say his FC experience was purely in England? :confused: