• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just for Fun: Worst Test "Draft"

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the theme of the recent spate of threads for "Drafting" teams together from throughout the ages of cricket, here's another one - but mainly for fun

Basically there are a few rules:

1. You must select players for their role - i.e. you can't select a real #11 batsman to open your batting. You must select players who played that role for their team. This is an absolutely key rule.

2. The player must have debuted after the 2nd World War.

3. The player selected must have played more than 6 test matches for his team.

4. No more than 3 players from any one country.

5. You can only select players from the "Big 8" test playing nations - i.e. no Bangladeshis or Zimbabwean test caps will be recognised (Zimbabweans who played for South Africa or Bangladeshis who played for Pakistan will be eligible, however)

I think maybe 10 committed drafters can take part in this one. Should be a bit of fun looking back over the records of some truly average players.

EDIT: Don't neglect the key skills of Captaincy and Fielding. Your team should be equally inept at all facets of the game.

Drafters
Heef
NUFAN
Goughy
Somerset
Chaminda_00
pskov
Athlai
Zinzan12
Michael7777777

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In haha.

Can we have one extra rule [if you don't mind], possibly a player from each country is required, because their is a certain team I'll be looking at more closely then other teams.

The SIM should be heaps of fun too.

HeathDavisSpeed

In haha.

Can we have one extra rule [if you don't mind], possibly a player from each country is required, because their is a certain team I'll be looking at more closely then other teams.

The SIM should be heaps of fun too.
Hmmm... Not sure about the "one from every team" rule. Maybe no more than 3 from one country? I certainly don't want teams to be all Zimbabweans or Bangladeshis (not that I think that's likely).

In fact, does anyone have any objection to changing the eligibility date to post World War 2? I think there'll be a few too many Kiwis from the early days of cricket that just weren't ever ready for test cricket?

Thoughts?

And yes. A sim would be fun. Aiming to do "better" than England's recent 2nd innings!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm... Not sure about the "one from every team" rule. Maybe no more than 3 from one country? I certainly don't want teams to be all Zimbabweans or Bangladeshis (not that I think that's likely).

In fact, does anyone have any objection to changing the eligibility date to post World War 2? I think there'll be a few too many Kiwis from the early days of cricket that just weren't ever ready for test cricket?

Thoughts?

And yes. A sim would be fun. Aiming to do "better" than England's recent 2nd innings!
Post WW2 is fine. Id be in favour of just the 'big 8' rather than cherry picking from the minnows.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah no more then 3 from one country sounds very good.
Post WW2 is fine. Id be in favour of just the 'big 8' rather than cherry picking from the minnows.
Right. I've changed the rule to post World War 2 (they must have made their debut post World War 2) and have added in the limitation of no more than 3 from each country.

The "Big 8" is certainly an interesting one. Its a shame to rule out all of the Zimbabweans as during their peak, they were a pretty decent team. These days, you'd struggle to find a Zimbabwean with a decent number of test caps though - surely Piet Rinke, as an example, hasn't played a test.

Well, I've just checked Zimbabwe's record and yes, I think it'd be too easy to find 3 absolutely abysmal players with sufficient caps. So Rule #5 is born, no Zimbabweans or Bangladeshis.

As an extra bonus, you will be allowed to select a 12th man - purely on lack of fielding prowess.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds like this draft could be a shambles in terms of the quality of the sides but I'll enter anyway. :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
**** I thought I could pick 11 kiwis, oh well maybe there is odd players from other countries that is crap.

Evermind

International Debutant
Too depressing a draft for me to participate in, but I hope and pray someone chooses Manjrekar right up front.