• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mystery Draft (ODI XI and Test XI, 79-09)

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'll get my NZ player out of the way next - don't want a non-all-time player stinking up my team.

Shane Bond for Tests and ODIs.

Precambrian

Banned
Ok me then, I can't believe am going to select this guy!

RT Ponting - Arguably the best batsman since 1979 (of course if you discount Tendulkar and Lara)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Precamb up

Round 3's order:

1. Matt79 -
2. Somerset -
3. Michael -
4. Athlai -
5. chaminda_00 -
6. NUFAN -
7. bagapath -
8. Precambrian -

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
:jump:

Anyways, I've been thinking about my pick a little bit. :ph34r: Reckon I'll get my minnow selection out of the way now and in the process ensure mine is the only team not dragged down by a non-all-time standard player in the XI.

Andy Flower for Tests and ODIs.
Haha, I knew that someone would be brave enough to pick Flower - if he was still available in round three I would've gone for him.

Matt79

Global Moderator
What will be interesting is to see who's blinkered enough to keep pick the best players first, as opposed to getting in now while there are still some halfway decent minnow players left - there are at least a few more who won't be embarrassing.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With Marshall, Holding and Garner missing the cut I'm going for my favourite and arguably the best quick from this period.

Curtly Ambrose Test and ODI.

BTW - precam do you want Punter for just ODIs or both or what?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
With Marshall, Holding and Garner missing the cut I'm going for my favourite and arguably the best quick from this period.

Curtly Ambrose Test and ODI.

BTW - precam do you want Punter for just ODIs or both or what?
Your going to regret that when Matt picks a Lankan next round.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a great draft IMO. Some teams could end up being way, way better then others.
Yup absolutely agreed. I think nearly everyone will look back at the end and think in hindsight I should've adopted a slightly different strategy. I'm already having second thoughts about whether Kallis was the right choice for my first pick - probably would've gone for Andy Flower if I knew how the draft was going to play out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yup absolutely agreed. I think nearly everyone will look back at the end and think in hindsight I should've adopted a slightly different strategy. I'm already having second thoughts about whether Kallis was the right choice for my first pick - probably would've gone for Andy Flower if I knew how the draft was going to play out.
The only reason why I didn't go for Flower myself was because I actually rate my keeper Sangakarra as better then Flower.

For other countries like West Indies for instance, Flower would have been an ideal choice IMO, unless you like Ridley Jacobs heaps.