• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oram considering giving up test cricket?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't really say it's that tough, because he has struggled with fitness for some time. He's not got too many Test wickets in the matches he played, has he? Anyway, the Kiwis can consider playing McCullum at six and the Vettori-Mills combo at seven and eight, so balance won't be a big issue. If he can add more value than the player replacing him, he can stay on.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
giving up bowling all together? well he can kiss his ODI career behind unless he dramatically improves his batting..

pup11

International Coach
Seriously Oram should be looking at ways to improve his fitness rather think on such lines, if he physically isn't in top shape, he might pull some muscle by just running around in the feild, so that's what his focus should be on.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
this is a good call.there are some cricketers who cannot stand the rigors of test cricket and oram is a prime example.for the sake nz limited overs teams this would be a good decision.

Flem274*

123/5
Jimmeh its time to step up.

Franklin to bat a six/seven for a bit until Anderson is 20 odd then move back down the order.

Or conversely gun it.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Gotta feel sorry for the guy. But I guess one dayers and 20/20 is where the money is now. Playing a few more years of one dayers might give him a few more years in the IPL and a bit of cash before his body completely gives up.

It might clarify the test lineup IMO. There was always the problem of whether to bat Oram at 6 or 7. At 6 you felt like you were a batsman light, but at 7 you felt, with Oram being the 4th bowler, things were a little light in the bowling department. In the one dayers he added balance but in the test matches he kinda confused things IMO.

Maybe we can choose McCullum at 7 in the test lineup with the six best batsmen and the 4 best bowlers.

Flem274*

123/5
McIntosh
How/Guptill/Watling/Cumming/Bell/Ingram (Guptill for mine)
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Franklin
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
O'Brien
Martin/Mills/Gillespie/Boult/Thompson/Wagner/Davidson/idk

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously Oram should be looking at ways to improve his fitness rather think on such lines, if he physically isn't in top shape, he might pull some muscle by just running around in the feild, so that's what his focus should be on.
Haha, honestly, you don't think Oram has attempted to "improve his fitness"? Give the guy some credit and cut him some slack - he's got a massive frame which clearly doesn't react well to the things he asks of it. The biggest problem is that he's only been bowling (at all) for the last 8-9 years.

But I'm sure he'll take your delightfully vague suggestions on board.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha, honestly, you don't think Oram has attempted to "improve his fitness"? Give the guy some credit and cut him some slack - he's got a massive frame which clearly doesn't react well to the things he asks of it. The biggest problem is that he's only been bowling (at all) for the last 8-9 years.

But I'm sure he'll take your delightfully vague suggestions on board.
Yeah give Oram a break FFS its his career I'm sure he cares more about it than some fan.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
McIntosh
How/Guptill/Watling/Cumming/Bell/Ingram (Guptill for mine)
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Franklin
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
O'Brien
Martin/Mills/Gillespie/Boult/Thompson/Wagner/Davidson/idk
I've regularly heard you Kiwis, talk up Franklin's batting ability. Based on what i've seen of him with the blade over the years, he's no doubt a talented batsman. But you seriously think he's good enough to bat, high as #6 though??

Athlai

Not Terrible
I've regularly heard you Kiwis, talk up Franklin's batting ability. Based on what i've seen of him with the blade over the years, he's no doubt a talented batsman. But you seriously think he's good enough to bat, high as #6 though??
Domestically he's easily been one of our best batsman this season in all forms of the game.

T20: 145 @ 145 (# 1 average)
List A: 306 @ 51 (#6 average)
FC: 448 @ 149.33 (#1 average)

Last edited: