• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst performance by your Country in your time of watching cricket

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In my time it would have been the mid-80s test at Perth when we were rolled by the Windies for 76 in an England-like performance. Other contenders would be Sydney 94 v SA and the Perth test v Windies in 92-93 when we rolled over in 3 days after losing in Adelaide by 1 run. AB got his first ever pair that test, Taylor was dropped for the game and we just didn't give a yelp.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
These two from the summer of pain back in 94/95 will always have a place in my cold, blackened shrivelled heart, as they permanently set me on a path of low expectations.

An absolute towelling by a Windies side already in decline. They could've whipped us with about 5 players on the field. As it was, not even the scorecard could truly do justice to just how abjectly we surrendered.

2nd TEST: New Zealand v West Indies at Wellington, 10-13 Feb 1995

We followed that by becoming the first country in the world to surrender first a test match and then a series to Sri Lanka, while playing at home. I know that by this stage the Lankans had the core of a very good side playing, but to be hammered in conditions that would've been so alien to a very young opposiiton side will forever remain a pathetic effort.

1st TEST: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Napier, 11-15 Mar 1995

Last edited:

TazzX

U19 12th Man
The Johannesburg test v Aus where Donald broke down and they hit about 600 in a day.. I think it was in 2004
And then you woke up?

Can't really think of to many specific games.

The test series vs Aus in Aus in 2005. So many promising signs ... cant recall ever being so dissapointed.

morgieb

Bangladesh in 2005 & the 3rd day at Melbourne this season.
There isn't a lot for Australia - we've been gun during my time as a cricket fan.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
These two from the summer of pain back in 94/95 will always have a place in my cold, blackened shrivelled heart, as they permanently set me on a path of low expectations.

An absolute towelling by a Windies side already in decline. They could've whipped us with about 5 players on the field. As it was, not even the scorecard could truly do justice to just how abjectly we surrendered.

We followed that by becoming the first country in the world to surrender first a test match and then a series to Sri Lanka, while playing at home. I know that by this stage the Lankans had the core of a very good side playing, but to be hammered in conditions that would've been so alien to a very young opposiiton side will forever remain a pathetic effort.

Haha, despite being only 10 at the time I distinctly remember that Junior Murray century in the first one you mention. That was appalling! I think he scored virtually all his runs on the leg side.

The capitulation by our batsman from a winning position against England last year would surely rank up there for NZ.

I think the one that probably hurt the most was not a typical woeful batting performance, but one where we weren't far from winning. Our test team was the best it had been in a while, we were 1-0 up against SA and in line for a fantastic (and first against them?) series win. Could we close it out? No we couldn't.

3rd Test: New Zealand v South Africa at Wellington, 26-30 Mar 2004

Evermind

International Debutant
Singapore has suffered several legendary (legendary for us, that is, though most opposition teams don't in fact remember the games at all) defeats, but the two worst were losing to an Australian rugby team - many of whom had never played cricket before - and an Indian high-school 2nd XI.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

I've been thinking about this thread for the last few days (in amongst more important stuff!) and I keep coming back to the 94/95 season. The worst thing is it started off so promisingly on the tour of South Africa. Unbelievably, with Matthew Hart leading the way, we won the first of the three test series in South Africa then it all went horribly wrong. We lost our way in the next two tests; Fleming, Nash and Hart got done for smoking pot at Paarl, then once we got back to NZ the wheels well and truly came off. The worst thing of all was the fact it was our centenary season - the rare highlight in the second half of that season was that we made the final of our own centenary tournament. Throw in the debacle surrounding the drunk coach, Geoff Howarth, being replaced short-term by John Reid, and it was a shocking season.

_Ed_

Remarkable that Darrin Murray was pretty much our best batsman in both of those Tests.

Zinzan

I've been thinking about this thread for the last few days (in amongst more important stuff!) and I keep coming back to the 94/95 season. The worst thing is it started off so promisingly on the tour of South Africa. Unbelievably, with Matthew Hart leading the way, we won the first of the three test series in South Africa then it all went horribly wrong. We lost our way in the next two tests; Fleming, Nash and Hart got done for smoking pot at Paarl, then once we got back to NZ the wheels well and truly came off. The worst thing of all was the fact it was our centenary season - the rare highlight in the second half of that season was that we made the final of our own centenary tournament. Throw in the debacle surrounding the drunk coach, Geoff Howarth, being replaced short-term by John Reid, and it was a shocking season.
Haha, I remember that season well for all the wrong reasons, and you're right that we started with that incredible 1st test win in the republic & then it all just turned to sh**t

In retrospect & looking through some of those scorecards, it was a crap-house team once Crowe was injured

inbox24

International Debutant
I've been watching Australia since the end of 1999, (although only REALLY watching since 03/04), and I can honestly say the trot we're having at the moment is the worst, beating the 2005 Ashes by quite a mile. Team selection currently is a really frustrating thing whilst 4 years ago, it was just quality players out of form.

Burgey

I've been watching Australia since the end of 1999, (although only REALLY watching since 03/04), and I can honestly say the trot we're having at the moment is the worst, beating the 2005 Ashes by quite a mile. Team selection currently is a really frustrating thing whilst 4 years ago, it was just quality players out of form.

I wouldn't be too disappointed mate, given the turn over of players involved. Whack an extra 20 tests worth of experience onto each of the bowlers in the SA series and they probably win it.

Burgey

I wouldn't be too disappointed mate, given the turn over of players involved. Whack an extra 20 tests worth of experience onto each of the bowlers in the SA series and they probably win it.