• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post Packer World XI - a discussion

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate I think you can set whatever criteria you choose. Of those guys you listed, I think only Waqar might be unlucky to miss out, and Kapil to an extent as well. The others are by no means poor, but I don't honestly think they belong in this discussion.

bagapath

International Captain
Gavaskar and Hayden have practically sealed the opening slots. Unless eight guys come out and vote for greenidge, hayden has beaten him fair and square. with 49 votes already in, i dont see this scenario changing.

Gilly has won the WK's poll by a mile.

I've just posted the poll for opening bowlers. kept 25 runs as the cut off for bowling average and 100 wickets as minimum requirement. Am gonna watch the discussion before making up my mind.

Team so far...

1. S.M. Gavaskar
2. M.L. Hayden
3. batsman
4. batsman
5. batsman
6. top runner up batsman from other polls/ all-rounder
7. A.C. Gilchrist (WK)
8. pace bowler
9. pace bowler
10. spinner
11. runner up pace bowler/ runner up spinner/ runner up all rounder

Also going to start the spinner's poll. Planning to keep 35 runs as the cut off point and 100 wickets as min req.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gavaskar and Hayden have practically sealed the opening slots. Unless eight guys come out and vote for greenidge, hayden has beaten him fair and square. with 49 votes already in, i dont see this scenario changing.

Gilly has won the WK's poll by a mile.

I've just posted the poll for opening bowlers. kept 25 runs as the cut off for bowling average and 100 wickets as minimum requirement. Am gonna watch the discussion before making up my mind.

Team so far...

1. S.M. Gavaskar
2. M.L. Hayden
3. batsman
4. batsman
5. batsman
6. top runner up batsman from other polls/ all-rounder
7. A.C. Gilchrist (WK)
8. pace bowler
9. pace bowler
10. spinner
11. runner up pace bowler/ runner up spinner/ runner up all rounder

Also going to start the spinner's poll. Planning to keep 35 runs as the cut off point and 100 wickets as min req.
Can we remove Warne and Murali from the spinners poll please? Pretend they're both unavailable for selection due to selectorial incompetance.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kumble fan?
Yes but that's not the reason.

I'm a man of peace. I do not wish to start the third world war. So we'll give the Indians the spinners spot (although I'd vote for Qadir anyway, just cause he's awesome).

Evermind

International Debutant
Yes but that's not the reason.

I'm a man of peace. I do not wish to start the third world war. So we'll give the Indians the spinners spot (although I'd vote for Qadir anyway, just cause he's awesome).
I don't get it. Warne and Murali are clearly the best spinners the world has seen. Kumble is a very distant third, and his away record is crap.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get it. Warne and Murali are clearly the best spinners the world has seen. Kumble is a very distant third, and his away record is crap.
His point is that arguments over which of the two is better has probably been the single greatest cause of flaming, trolling and general bitchiness in the history of CW.

Evermind

International Debutant
His point is that arguments over which of the two is better has probably been the single greatest cause of flaming, trolling and general bitchiness in the history of CW.
What's there to argue? Murali > Warne. :ph34r:

Actually I really don't know who I'd pick if it came to that. Carry on. They're pretty much inseparable TBH.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar
Hayden
Ponting
Richards
Tendulkar
Waugh S (c)
Gilchrist +
Imran
Warne
McGrath
Lillee/Marshall

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Great side mate - though as highly as I rate Punter and for all the man-love I have for SR Waugh, I still couldn't possibly put either of them in ahead of Lara.

Precambrian

Banned
This side will be a joke if Warne gets ahead of Murali.

Oops.

<My edit/del button not working! Help! Heeeeeeeellllpp!!>

Uppercut

Perfectly reasonable if you need a bit of sledging, lower-order batting and slip-catching.

Warne vs Murali is very much personal preference I'd say. As is Ponting vs. Lara vs. Tendulkar. It only becomes melting to discuss when people make comments like precum implying that anyone who disagrees with them on the issue is stupid.

Uppercut

He's been in a few, the majority of hypothetical all time test teams I've seen usually have Marshall & Hadlee as the main two strike bowlers
That's news to me. It's almost always Marshall and SF Barnes in my experience.

He's been in a few, the majority of hypothetical all time test teams I've seen usually have Marshall & Hadlee as the main two strike bowlers
What is the record of Hadlee in the countries where the wickets and not supportive to fast bowlers like subcontinent. Hadlee always preferred to play where wickets were supporting to the fast bowlers. Don't merely look at his record. Compare his record outside New Zealand, Australia, England and West Indies. He always made lame excuses when it came to play in subcontinent. Never say that Hadlee is everyone's favourite. At least those who have seen him and noticed his lame excuses will never rate him high.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
That's news to me. It's almost always Marshall and SF Barnes in my experience.
Interesting you should both say this. I'm one of the Marshall advocates myself, though from my experience the overwhelming majority of Historical/All-Time XIs, particularly those selected by former players, have had Lillee leading the attack.

Athlai

Not Terrible
What is the record of Hadlee in the countries where the wickets and not supportive to fast bowlers like subcontinent. Hadlee always preferred to play where wickets were supporting to the fast bowlers. Don't merely look at his record. Compare his record outside New Zealand, Australia, England and West Indies. He always made lame excuses when it came to play in subcontinent. Never say that Hadlee is everyone's favourite. At least those who have seen him and noticed his lame excuses will never rate him high.
In the subcontinent Hadlee averaged 21.58, slightly better than what he averaged at home 22.96/ :wacko:

He did however have one poor series in Pakistan which is where I think your argument comes from but 3 matches there at the start of his career (in 76 he was still adjusting to international cricket) is hardly enough to tarnish his reputation now is it?

Burgey

In the subcontinent Hadlee averaged 21.58, slightly better than what he averaged at home 22.96/ :wacko:

He did however have one poor series in Pakistan which is where I think your argument comes from but 3 matches there at the start of his career (in 76 he was still adjusting to international cricket) is hardly enough to tarnish his reputation now is it?
Sure it is - ask those who brain Lillee about 4 **** tests in the subcontinent.