• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post Packer World XI - a discussion

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dunno I kinda liked the wedge politics which let Murali get into the team. Seems better balanced that way as well.

Precambrian

Banned
Shane Warne is more valuable than Ambrose because he can succeed where quick bowlers fail. Chappell was a great. I wouldn't necessarily place him as better than Tendulkar though. On a par or just marginally below.
No, Shane Warne's record in India speaks for itself.

Precambrian

Banned
U do realise that in the first link u highlighted Ambrose won man of the series in that series right? U do realise in the last two tests of that series Ambrose took 20 wkts. If i really wanted to i dont think it wood be too hard to find games where he outbowled Warne but i wont.

Just because SRT was picked younger and played longer makes no difference to me. Chappell is one of the few batsmen who has a completely flawless record. His lowest average in ne country is 40 against England and his lowest average against ne team is 40 in England.

SRT sorry to say doesnt have near as flawless a record.
Wow.

Because he didn't play SA?

Crappest reasoning.

Precambrian

Banned
I just realised sumthin. U never actually said thatWarne was a better bowler than Ambrose, u said he was more valuable to the team (due to the variety that a spinner offers) in which case i agree; humbliest apologies. Still though G Chappell> SRT and by > i mean Greg Chappell was a better overall batsman than Tendulkar.
Not even close.

SRT was easily better than Greg. Heck Ricky Ponting > Greg Chappell.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, Shane Warne's record in India speaks for itself.
Wow.

Because he didn't play SA?

Crappest reasoning.
Wedge politics? WTF?
So you make the case that because Warne was bad against India then he was worse than Ambrose.

You then make the case that Tendulkar is better than Chappell despite Tendulkar's having weaknesses in his record against certain opposition, where Chappell did not.

It's either one way or the other. You can be a champion and better player than another despite obvious flaws in your record or you have to be judged on your biggest weaknesses instead of your strengths. Which is it?

If you think that Ambrose is better than Warne then you are in the extreme minority. Most commentators of repute around the world believe that Warne/Murali are the two best bowlers of all time. You simply cannot compare spin bowlers to quicks in the same statistical fashion that you can with quicks to other quicks (and even then statistics aren't everything).

Wedge politics is where you wedge your opposition by giving them two choices that are either equally likeable or equally distasteful and make them choose (or one issue which has both good and bad points to it - but remove the option to support just the good points). They then are "wedged" on the issue. In this case the issue was which seamer to pick (McGrath or Ambrose).

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
I can understand the Warne love but I do not condone it.

However I disagree wholly that SRT < Greg. Greg was a master batsman. But he never had the longetivity as Sachin. And his best averages are against India, Pakistan who were hardly top guns then. And against the best opposition then, in England, he averaged mere 40.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I can understand the Warne love but I do not condone it.

However I disagree wholly that SRT < Greg. Greg was a master batsman. But he never had the longetivity as Sachin. And his best averages are against India, Pakistan who were hardly top guns then. And against the best opposition then, in England, he averaged mere 40.
And his record against the WIndies...would you care to mention that? The best opposition was England? Says who? Averaging 41 away is poor now? That being his worst away record - the next 49 against the Windies and the rest much above that.

What is Sachin's record against S.Africa? Or Australia with McWarne?

Greg played 14 years and 83 tests, that's more than enough. It's not as if Sachin's longevity means much when for the last 6-7 years he has been pretty bad - relative to the people you're comparing him with. Without minnows since 2002 he has averaged 44.

Not to make it sound like I'm bashing Sachin, but the way you make it sound is screwed up.

Last edited:

0RI0N

State 12th Man
And his best averages are against India, Pakistan who were hardly top guns then. And against the best opposition then, in England, he averaged mere 40.
srt's best averages are against...?
Bang and zim
srt averages >40 against sa& pak & less when sa plays in ind.
Plus greg didnt have close to 5 years of average to mediocre years.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
And his record against the WIndies...would you care to mention that? The best opposition was England? Says who? Averaging 41 away is poor now? That being his worst away record - the next 49 against the Windies and the rest much above that.

What is Sachin's record against S.Africa? Or Australia with McWarne?

Greg played 14 years and 83 tests, that's more than enough. It's not as if Sachin's longevity means much when for the last 6-7 years he has been pretty bad - relative to the people you're comparing him with. Without minnows since 2002 he has averaged 44.

Not to make it sound like I'm bashing Sachin, but the way you make it sound is screwed up.
And let's not forget two years of WSC - against some of the most fearsome fast bowling ever seen - where his record outstripped any other batsman, including Viv.

bagapath

International Captain
Based on two special polls to choose between murali and mcgrath and to figure out which team sunil gavaskar would play for, murali retains his position, gavaskar plays for pre-packer XI and gordon greenidge takes his position in this team

Final XI

Greenidge
Hayden
Lara
Tendulkar
Richards
Gilchrist (WK)
Imran (C)
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Murali

what is going to be the scoring rate of this batting line-up?

Last edited: