• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post Packer World XI - a discussion

bagapath

International Captain
Imran ended his career as the better all-rounder, no doubt.

But, on December 31, 1983 this is what their stats were. I chose this year because this is when Imran crossed the 2000 run mark as a batsman.

IT Botham (Eng) 63 3548 208 36.57 12 277 8/34 24.82 20 72 0
Imran Khan (Pak) 50 2008 123 31.87 2 232 8/58 22.91 16 16 0

Imran's superior bowling average is more than compensated by botham's far superior batting record. Who would have believed that the second half of their careers would be a complete reversal of roles?
In fact botham led imran in batting averages till as late as 1989 IIRC. But his bowling had started declining in '83 and he never recoverd the pre '82 form with the ball. all done and dusted, what awesome cricketers they both were - and kapil and hadlee too!

bagapath

International Captain
viv, sachin, lara, imran and gilly was how i was listing the team so far. but there were a lot of suggestions to shift the order. i did so mainly to see sachin - lara and viv - gilly pairs bat together. we can probably leave it to the captain to figure it out. am sure imran is the majority's choice for that role.

viv, sachin, lara, imran and gilly was how i was listing the team so far. but there were a lot of suggestions to shift the order. i did so mainly to see sachin - lara and viv - gilly pairs bat together. we can probably leave it to the captain to figure it out. am sure imran is the majority's choice for that role.
If you need quick runs immediately then send Gilly first otherwise Imran is a better option. Moreover Imran is a better option too in the last slog overs.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Amazing how the confidence of opinion stated as fact, appears to correlate in reverse with how much actual experience of cricket people have.

Also staggering how many posters here are convinced that all the selectors and captains on history were basically mindlessly bowing to orthodoxy when opting to include a spinner, rAther than being willing to acknowledge that having a variety of bowler has a value.

bagapath

International Captain
1) In 1977 he debuted playing The Ashes in England. In 2 games he took 2 five-wicket hauls, and his series bowling average was 20.20. SR was 43.8. If that is "minimal success" for you, I'd love to know your definition of "great success".

2) I compared bowling stats, as my original post says. I could compare batting stats too, in which Imran also comes out superior. I leave it to you as homework.

3) I took the best contiguous period in Botham's career to compare. If you wanna include 1982, I'll have to include the series against India (AVG 38.8, SR 84.8 {that's like Sobers's quality bowling :ph34r:}), return series against India (AVG 35.5, SR 62.3) and the next Ashes in which he took wickets at an abysmal average of 40.5 and struck at 71.2. Botham's peak ends up a lot worse if we include 1982.

Imran >>>>> Botham. Let's move on.

thought you guys would be interested in knowing the stats of the big four in winning matches.

IT Botham 33 1951 149* 43.35 8 15 172 8/34 20.09 15 47 0
N Kapil Dev 24 904 109 33.48 1 6 90 7/56 18.30 3 18 0
Sir RJ Hadlee 22 790 99 30.38 0 5 173 9/52 13.06 17 8 0
Imran Khan 26 900 117 36.00 1 5 155 8/58 14.50 11 10 0

Last edited:

Evermind

International Debutant
TBF, Wasim is simply better than Kumble, no matter how you wish to bend it. Kumble is really only valuable at home and Wasim is not that far from Kumble's record in India, against them. Everywhere else he is better. And the swing and left-handedness is sufficiently different from the other bowlers, when it comes to reasons of variation. IF a spinner is simply a must, I'd rather go for Macgill or Saqlain.
Nah...Wasim > Macgill and Saqlain. I wouldn't have a spinner other than Warne or Murali in my team. Rather go with 4 pacers and have the part-timers spin occasionally.

bagapath

International Captain
with only 15 mins to go,. i dont see pigeon overtaking murali anymore. so here we go...

The team:

Gavaskar
Hayden
Lara
Tendulkar
Richards
Gilchrist (WK)
Imran (C)
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Murali

Reserves: McGrath, Kallis and Ponting

bagapath

International Captain
Going to have a snap poll which will be open only for two days to choose between Murali and Mcgrath. will start it tomorrow. too many related threads active at the moment and might end up getting lost in the confusion

funnygirl

State Regular
Going to have a snap poll which will be open only for two days to choose between Murali and Mcgrath. will start it tomorrow. too many related threads active at the moment and might end up getting lost in the confusion
What one more poll? i would boycott if Wasim is not included in it :ph34r: