Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ajinkya Rahane : Time for him to step up and claim the big prize?

Banned

Ajinkya Rahane : Time for him to step up and claim the big prize?

Those who follow Indian Domestic cricket for atleast 2 years would be now all too familiar about this Mumbaikar.

He's been exceptional in the domestic circuit for the past few seasons and his career FC average is 63 after 25 matches. With already 8 100s under his belt, one wonders why he has not quite made the airwaves as he should.

I watched him in the Ranji matches, and to be honest, I was wondering that how could he be that prolific with such a technique. He did not overtly impress me at any point of time. But somehow he manages to get the runs on the board.

Perhaps people like Arjun who follow them very closely can help me out. Is he the real deal for India? Or is he another domestic champion who thrives on flat pitches and mediocre bowlers and struggles against quality oppositions?

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Those who follow Indian Domestic cricket for atleast 2 years would be now all too familiar about this Mumbaikar.

He's been exceptional in the domestic circuit for the past few seasons and his career FC average is 63 after 25 matches. With already 8 100s under his belt, one wonders why he has not quite made the airwaves as he should.

I watched him in the Ranji matches, and to be honest, I was wondering that how could he be that prolific with such a technique. He did not overtly impress me at any point of time. But somehow he manages to get the runs on the board.

Perhaps people like Arjun who follow them very closely can help me out. Is he the real deal for India? Or is he another domestic champion who thrives on flat pitches and mediocre bowlers and struggles against quality oppositions?
    Will wait and see how he does in the A team series, esp. the ones overseas. Currently, someone like Badrinath has proved himself in A series overseas in tougher conditions.. Rohit Sharma and Raina seem to be performing at the international level in ODIs and both have done decent stuff in A series.. So I will put those 3 and Kaif above him as of now.. Let us see how he goes next year and in the A tours before we bring him into the side. There is Pujara around too...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Look at Chanderpaul's technique though. You'd scold a kid for batting like that, let alone teach him to do so.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

If you want to catch more of Rahane, you can catch highlights or live action on NEO Sports (Purple on off days, Green on ODI days), and as a batsman, that footage should give you a hint. That suggests he's good good technique and he bats for a very long innings. Few risks, complete practicality, so there's not much fault to find with him. There is, however, one big problem- a queue ahead.

Frankly, there's next to no chance of him making the Test or ODI team presently. As HB said, Badrinath has done a lot more and has not even made the squad, while Yuvraj has always been no more than a passenger. He will have to play more India A matches and possibly even look at English county cricket as an option. The forthcoming IPL should be an ideal platform for him.

How he'll fare in limited-overs matches is something to think about.
    Last edited by Arjun; 06-02-2009 at 07:40 AM.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

rahane has to wait in line.badri is the clear successor for dravid but we need others to be ready incase the seniors get injured and that is a distinct possiblity.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    The selectors don't seem to favour Badrinath though. Has been mishandled in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    The selectors don't seem to favour Badrinath though. Has been mishandled in the past.
    he is in excellent form lately so he should be in more test squads at least.

Forget the Indian Test team; how about Rahane for Mumbai Indians for now? He stands a far better chance of making that.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    I've only seen very brief highlights of him - Duleep Trophy final last year - but he looked a decent player, confident at the crease, usual subcontinental wrists.

Rahane is certainly behind Badrinath and possibly Pujara for a middle-order spot (neither Raina nor Sharma are competing with him for the #3 spot in the test side). However, Rahane has an outside shot at touring New Zealand as the reserve opener. Vijay just returned from injury and if he doesn't score any more runs in the Duleep Trophy final, his place may be in doubt. The selectors aren't going back to Jaffer and Pujara has fallen off of late, especially compared to Rahane. Don't be shocked if Ajinkya catches a break here.
    Last edited by adharcric; 07-02-2009 at 03:06 AM.

U19 Debutant
    9 more hundreds and average up to 68 now

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Pretty impressive. He along with Pujara will probably make the backbone of the future Indian batting line-up.

Or is he another domestic champion who thrives on flat pitches and mediocre bowlers and struggles against quality oppositions?
    hope not so...whatever that i have seen of rahane, i think he is very good...but, pujara for me is still the choice...that guy has not been tested yet...and i dont know why the selectors dont have much faith on badri either...he seems a good test material for me...

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Ajinkya Rahane | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

has now played enough FC cricket!!! 50 games!!!

should be walking into the test side... (it's NOT like his home ground is a road and therefore has had it easy)

Kohli
    Sharma
    Rahane
    Pujara

all deserve more chances than that **** Raina.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    didn't watch rahane bat in the T20 today.
    highlights will be on in 2hrs... can't wait.
    i heard he played some lovely strokes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information