• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajinkya Rahane : Time for him to step up and claim the big prize?

Precambrian

Banned
Those who follow Indian Domestic cricket for atleast 2 years would be now all too familiar about this Mumbaikar.

He's been exceptional in the domestic circuit for the past few seasons and his career FC average is 63 after 25 matches. With already 8 100s under his belt, one wonders why he has not quite made the airwaves as he should.

I watched him in the Ranji matches, and to be honest, I was wondering that how could he be that prolific with such a technique. He did not overtly impress me at any point of time. But somehow he manages to get the runs on the board.

Perhaps people like Arjun who follow them very closely can help me out. Is he the real deal for India? Or is he another domestic champion who thrives on flat pitches and mediocre bowlers and struggles against quality oppositions?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Those who follow Indian Domestic cricket for atleast 2 years would be now all too familiar about this Mumbaikar.

He's been exceptional in the domestic circuit for the past few seasons and his career FC average is 63 after 25 matches. With already 8 100s under his belt, one wonders why he has not quite made the airwaves as he should.

I watched him in the Ranji matches, and to be honest, I was wondering that how could he be that prolific with such a technique. He did not overtly impress me at any point of time. But somehow he manages to get the runs on the board.

Perhaps people like Arjun who follow them very closely can help me out. Is he the real deal for India? Or is he another domestic champion who thrives on flat pitches and mediocre bowlers and struggles against quality oppositions?
Will wait and see how he does in the A team series, esp. the ones overseas. Currently, someone like Badrinath has proved himself in A series overseas in tougher conditions.. Rohit Sharma and Raina seem to be performing at the international level in ODIs and both have done decent stuff in A series.. So I will put those 3 and Kaif above him as of now.. Let us see how he goes next year and in the A tours before we bring him into the side. There is Pujara around too...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look at Chanderpaul's technique though. You'd scold a kid for batting like that, let alone teach him to do so.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year

If you want to catch more of Rahane, you can catch highlights or live action on NEO Sports (Purple on off days, Green on ODI days), and as a batsman, that footage should give you a hint. That suggests he's good good technique and he bats for a very long innings. Few risks, complete practicality, so there's not much fault to find with him. There is, however, one big problem- a queue ahead.

Frankly, there's next to no chance of him making the Test or ODI team presently. As HB said, Badrinath has done a lot more and has not even made the squad, while Yuvraj has always been no more than a passenger. He will have to play more India A matches and possibly even look at English county cricket as an option. The forthcoming IPL should be an ideal platform for him.

How he'll fare in limited-overs matches is something to think about.

Last edited:

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
rahane has to wait in line.badri is the clear successor for dravid but we need others to be ready incase the seniors get injured and that is a distinct possiblity.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Forget the Indian Test team; how about Rahane for Mumbai Indians for now? He stands a far better chance of making that.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I've only seen very brief highlights of him - Duleep Trophy final last year - but he looked a decent player, confident at the crease, usual subcontinental wrists.

adharcric

International Coach
Rahane is certainly behind Badrinath and possibly Pujara for a middle-order spot (neither Raina nor Sharma are competing with him for the #3 spot in the test side). However, Rahane has an outside shot at touring New Zealand as the reserve opener. Vijay just returned from injury and if he doesn't score any more runs in the Duleep Trophy final, his place may be in doubt. The selectors aren't going back to Jaffer and Pujara has fallen off of late, especially compared to Rahane. Don't be shocked if Ajinkya catches a break here.

Last edited:

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Or is he another domestic champion who thrives on flat pitches and mediocre bowlers and struggles against quality oppositions?
hope not so...whatever that i have seen of rahane, i think he is very good...but, pujara for me is still the choice...that guy has not been tested yet...and i dont know why the selectors dont have much faith on badri either...he seems a good test material for me...

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
didn't watch rahane bat in the T20 today.
highlights will be on in 2hrs... can't wait.
i heard he played some lovely strokes

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Heard that he was very flashy.
i saw it dear, and it was not flashy (though flashy is not a bad thing now a days, is it? if u can come home with a 60 odd in 11 overs)...:D, but he was not...in fact, i would say, he looked solid and compact enough...(under the circumstances) :laugh:

OMM!

U19 12th Man
He looked impressive. Wouldn't like to see him in a Test match as an Indian fan though!

Looks suspect to the short ball (there's a shock!). Every hook he hit would have gone directly to deep fine leg or deep backward square!

Played Swann very well though. Made Swanny look average at times.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Looked decent against the short ball i thought.

Pulled one too midwicket too. Was a slow wicket though.