• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali breaks record for most ODI wickets, what a champion!

Precambrian

Banned
Muthiah Muralitharan broke the long standing record of most ODI wickets by taking his 503rd when he got Gautam Gambhir caught behind.

With this he leads the pack in both tests as well as ODIs. Surely a proof of his mastery and consistency over such a long career.

What a champion!

Precambrian

Banned
Should retire from ODIs. Has hardly looked threatening over the last one year or more, except for 1 or 2 matches here and there.

Still super value in test matches.

Matt79

Global Moderator
lol at how quickly we've gone from praising Caesar to burying him in this thread.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Muthiah Muralitharan broke the long standing record of most ODI wickets by taking his 503rd when he got Gautam Gambhir caught behind.
Not that long standing, IMO.

Still, 503 ODI wickets is an amazing effort, full credit to him.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
wel done to him, he has said he wants to go on till WC, but i dont think he will play many ODIs till then

JBH001

International Regular
Haha! From praise, to damning with faint praise!

Murali has been in decline for the best part of two years now, in both forms of the game. It has not been a sharp decline, just a gradual one, where he simply does not look as good he has been 1998 - 2006. For all that, I reckon he remains a good bowler, and still worth a test and odi spot for at least the next year or so. I do think though that the 2011 WC is unlikely, and I would prefer he retire while he still has something to offer and is worth his place in the side.

Btw, here is a statistical breakdown of his figures in ODI cricket:

Cricinfo - The rewards of consistency

He really is a champion. Only Saqqy, imo, lays real claim to being a better ODI spinner.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha. I think it emphasizes the pro-pun sentiment actually.

You don't have to be anti-Sri Lankan to recognize that Murali is a shadow of his former self.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha. I think it emphasizes the pro-pun sentiment actually.

You don't have to be anti-Sri Lankan to recognize that Murali is a shadow of his former self.
you have to be MNS to NOT see it, though.. :p

Anyways, some people are hellbent on flexing their strength in punning here...