• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection

obtusian

Cricket Spectator
Am I the only one that thinks the selectors have had it on the money recently. Siddle, great selection, and Hughes in my opinion will prove likewise. Symonds is ridiculously overrated and has barely performed in 4 day cricket so why would test cricket be any better? Gone are the days when alcoholics play test cricket. Gibbs is a fine example.

Matt79

Global Moderator
You've picked the two best selections (well, the selection of Hughes is yet to be tested one way or another, but based on what was in front of them it was the best choice) they've made in recent times.

Unfortunately for those examples, there's the countering examples of what they did to Beau Casson, what they did to Jason Krezja and Cameron White, and the way they brought Symonds back way too early as a quick fix, and in the process stuff Watson around.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The South Africa squad seems to be the most sensible Australia has put forward in at least a year. There's a good article about it on Cricinfo, but I can't bothered to link it.

pup11

International Coach
Haha, looks a bit drunk in that pic too...:laugh:

Anyways going ga,ga over Aussie selections is ridiculous, selecting Siddle was a gun move, but that's pretty much the only good decision they have made in a while and the number of piss-poor blunders they have made, severely outweighs the good decisions made by them.

Hughes' selection is really no masterstroke imo, Hughes has virtually forced the selectors to pick him due to consistently gun performances, but kudos to them not ignoring him though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Am I the only one that thinks the selectors have had it on the money recently. Siddle, great selection, and Hughes in my opinion will prove likewise. Symonds is ridiculously overrated and has barely performed in 4 day cricket so why would test cricket be any better? Gone are the days when alcoholics play test cricket. Gibbs is a fine example.
Yes, how anyone can look at the selection policy when it comes to spin bowling and say they've done a good job is beyond me.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Callum Ferguson
A very good selection it appears.

I for one was so glad that Michael Klinger didn't make our ODI team.

Callum Ferguson has certainly surprised me, like he's looked decent in OD matches this year, but the innings at the Gabba last night was fantastic.

Selectors have made some terrible selections, but the selection of Ferguson appears to be a good one.