• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ultimate Test Draft

pskov

International 12th Man
I think we should just go with 8 people and use serpentine again. Everyone is online now since they've signed up, so I think we could get through a good few picks today alone.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You will never get a perfect draft format and 11 players is too much.

One option is the just make a new order every two rounds.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Alright we go with the above serpentine with new order every two rounds.

Round One (1877-1899)
1. chaminda_00
2. Samuel_Vimes
3. The Sean
4. pskov
5. Someset
6. Matt79
7. Michaelf7777777
8. Goughy

Please note player's year of debut with selection

WG Grace (1880)

Hak up...

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm going to bed right now ad it's nearly 1am here. So i'm unlikely to do many picks tonight.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Tharmi took my first choice (understandably enough) but I'm very happy to get my second, and with it elminate the worry of leaving myself short in a problematic position.

Jack Blackham (1877)

pskov

International 12th Man
George Lohmann (1886)

The statistics say it all. 112 test wickets at 10.75, an almost farcical 1,841 wickets at 13.73 in first-class cricket. The second highest bowler rating recorded in history.

And to anyone who would say 'But how well would he do bowling on modern pitches?' remember to ask how well some of the greats of the modern game would do batting on 19th century pitches!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha good choice - I was tempted to go with Lohmann, particularly if we were going to sim the results!

Athlai

Not Terrible
George Lohmann

The statistics say it all. 112 test wickets at 10.75, an almost farcical 1,841 wickets at 13.73 in first-class cricket. The second highest bowler rating recorded in history.

And to anyone who would say 'But how well would he do bowling on modern pitches?' remember to ask how well some of the greats of the modern game would do batting on 19th century pitches!
With their wunderbats, higher levels of physical fitness and all the passed on knowledge of the game? Quite well probably.

But if they were born in that time then that is a completely different kettle of fish.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
With their wunderbats, higher levels of physical fitness and all the passed on knowledge of the game? Quite well probably.

But if they were born in that time then that is a completely different kettle of fish.
Ever seen a modern batsmen bat on a pitch with a hint of movement. They all cry about a docated pitched.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fred Spofforth (1877) my selection - was hopeful that Lohmann might slip through though.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon the last two picks are void because the players aren't dated. The Demon and Trumper still up for grabs. :ph34r:

pskov

International 12th Man

Of course the converse is that I think Lohmann would still be a great player if he was born in 1980. He sounds very similar to Mendis to me, no more than brisk medium but with great variations in flight and pace and able to seam the ball both ways, though Mendis' tendency to bowl four balls sometimes lets him down whilst Lohmann was renowned for exceptional accuracy.