• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unnecessary Sniping....

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
It might interest you to know that the Somerset have a new site at: http://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk and rather than focus on something positive, Mr Giles has chosen this new online chapter to criticise unofficial sites like this one and grockles.com. Here's the welcome if you can call it that.

"The site will continue to be managed by Richard Walsh to whom material will be sent for him to edit into a suitable form. Our aim is to be informative in a constructive way. What we will not countenance is responding to silly and sometimes mischievous gossip emanating from other local websites. Thankfully, a vast majority of site users are purely interested in what the Club has to say officially. The regular 40 – 80,000 visitors per month – in August 2002 it was close to 1.5 million – bear testimony to that."

I'm very disappointed that Somerset have taken such a negative step.

John Fuller, Editor

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have just had a look at the site - and under 'contact us' there is NO email contact at all - just a couple of addresses and telephone numbers.

Now if you are surfing the web, do Somerset CCC actually expect you to write them a letter or ring them?

Well thought out.

Come on, Somerset CCC. Don't prove to the world that you are a bunch of humourless Luddites.

Give this purveyor of mischievous gossip a right of reply.

Hang about. Do they ACTUALLY believe what Devil Ducky says?

Rich2001

International Captain
I don't get this at all, surely they would want to promote themselves wherever possible etc and the more places with their stuff or link on can only be a good thing :rolleyes:

Also it must be quite hard to be a Somerset fan if all the top people are being quite so offensive to their own fans, but as long as they get your money they probley don't care.

I know from past experiances and I know Luckyeddie as well have over time contacted counties and they have bent over backwards to help, not all but most.. it seems only Somerset have a problem with their own fans backing the team.

They say that 40-80,000 vistors to the site proves that they want offical news etc but quite frankly how many off those also visit sites like yours etc and if they gave you the Offical word like you ask nicly for then the visitors would be getting the same news etc.

Can I just ask if you are aware of why they have taken such an attitude towards fan sites? has someone in the past really annoyed them or something?

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not Friendly

There has been some niggle between the club and in particular certain users of the other Somerset site grockles.com. Both sites have been trying in vain to get access to players/officials and in the process of this battle, certain users of the grockles forum have probably got over jealous with their criticism of the club.

While I wouldn't necessarily advocate all their views, their interests are with the club as are mine and I find it quite unbelievable that the club would take such a step to distance themselves (and insult) this site and grockles. They see both sites as a threat to their commercial viability which again defies belief. I am disappointed but lets face it. its not the first time Somerset management have been heavy handed......

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mark Lathwell springs to mind...

I wonder if he's read the "Candy Haddick" section in DD's diary? If not, I suggest someone sends it to the ******.

Message for you, SCCC - There's only so far an official police state line can go. People get fed up, some of us earlier than others. This could well be the start of a revolution so unless you:

a) Get your attitude sorted
b) Get some results

Lincolnshire are starting to interest me...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point I would make to Somerset CCC (if I could contact them - but I'm damned if I'm going to waste a phone call) is that although this section of the site is Somerset-related, an awful lot of us who pop in here are NOT Somerset fans per se. We post because we are CRICKET fans, and consequently have an interest in what goes on at all counties and in all countries.

It's very much the case that the discussion in this forum has been almost (remarkably so) devoid of any sniping, from what I've seen.

Believe you me, Somerset are not unique in having a 'hands off' or 'head up rectal passage' approach regarding publicity - some have not returned our emails about anything.

Special mention should be made of Notts and Durham, though. They recognise this site (CricketWeb) for what it is - one of the few genuine cricket fans sites in the world in the general sense (as opposed to a 'tied' site). Notts and Durham send me ALL their press releases - they even invited me to their pre-season press days and the like. I'm sure that other staff members would say the same about some other counties too.

If anyone from Somerset CCC should read this (fat chance) - that's how to do things, chaps. Not by declaring war or by saying 'other sites' if you mean 'another site'. We're not your enemy, for goodness sake.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Mark Lathwell springs to mind...

I wonder if he's read the "Candy Haddick" section in DD's diary? If not, I suggest someone sends it to the ******.

Message for you, SCCC - There's only so far an official police state line can go. People get fed up, some of us earlier than others. This could well be the start of a revolution so unless you:

a) Get your attitude sorted
b) Get some results

Lincolnshire are starting to interest me...
Here it is if anyone's got the email address or contact point...

Despite popular opinion, the radio-controlled duck which is rumoured to ****** batsmen back to the pavilion after they fail to contribute a score is NOT Devil Ducky, neither is it my cousin, Vasbert's Drake. It is an impostor which the ECB have used in order to cash in on the popularity of Cricket Web in general and this columnist in particular.

I understand that Somerset did not like the idea of using a duck, because the club think that it will become cliched and monotonous if their current form is anything to go by. Consequently, they have run a competition amongst local schools to design a replacement.

They winner is a motorised fish which will dispense huge ear-shaped sweets to the kids. Somerset plan to call it 'Candy Haddick'.

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Special mention should be made of Notts and Durham, though. They recognise this site (CricketWeb) for what it is - one of the few genuine cricket fans sites in the world in the general sense (as opposed to a 'tied' site). Notts and Durham send me ALL their press releases - they even invited me to their pre-season press days and the like. I'm sure that other staff members would say the same about some other counties too.
I would say that Kent are more than happy to promote other "unoffical" fan sites on their website, on their forum all the posts are moderated before put up and I know I have added the Cricket Web at the end a fair few times and a handfull of other fan sites do the same with no trouble what so ever.

Also Kent CCC nearly hosted their forums on another cricket website - Of course that site was Cricket Web :) , however after serval e-mails back and forth and much confering they choice to give it a try themselves first, however they said they haven't ruled out joining forces at a later date.

botham

Cricket Spectator
Mischievous gossip

Sorry but this will just be a plain message, no mischievous gossip and no fancy graphics (I don't know how, but I can gossip!).

I am probably one of the annoying types who the SCCC management don't like, I don't like them either!

I believe in freedom of speech, they don't!

I believe in decent standards of behaviour, some of them don't or at least don't act like it!

Strong words, I know, but I believe them to be true. My family have experienced it first hand!