• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adrian Barath : A new hope for the Windies?

Precambrian

Banned
Full name: Adrian Barath

Born: 14th April 1990, Chaguanas, Trinidad
Batting: Right-hand batsman
Bowling: Right-arm off-break
Teams: Trinidad and Tobago
FC debut : 2006/07

Made his debut at a tender age of 17, he has progressed steadily through his career, and now averages a very good 42 from 13 FC matches, including the very recent 132 against the touring England.

He has made 3 100s and 4 50s in 21 FC innings so far, and looks the next big thing from the Carribean.

In a sad world, where a quickfire 80 odd in a T20 is regarded as the the next coming of Bradman, this is one genuine case who must be highlighted imho.

Perhaps, Mr.Mxyptik or some WI supporter can throw more light on this young talent.

His stats at present are :

(Excluding the ongoing tour match against England)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Full name: Adrian Barath

Born: 14th April 1990, Chaguanas, Trinidad
Batting: Right-hand batsman
Bowling: Right-arm off-break
Teams: Trinidad and Tobago
FC debut : 2006/07

Made his debut at a tender age of 17, he has progressed steadily through his career, and now averages a very good 42 from 13 FC matches, including the very recent 132 against the touring England.

He has made 3 100s and 4 50s in 21 FC innings so far, and looks the next big thing from the Carribean.

In a sad world, where a quickfire 80 odd in a T20 is regarded as the the next coming of Bradman, this is one genuine case who must be highlighted imho.

Perhaps, Mr.Mxyptik or some WI supporter can throw more light on this young talent.

His stats at present are :

(Excluding the ongoing tour match against England)
Pujara, Ahmed Shezad and this guy are the three I am predicting will go on to greatness. 99/100 things don't pan out the way you predict but have a really strong feeling on this.

sammy2

Banned
Yes he is good.

Another player who has had a very good start is gavin wallace, young spinner from Jamaica.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adrian Barath is a product of a pretty outstanding system in Trinidad and Tobago. He scored loads of runs at school, club and age level and has always looked assured in doing so. He's generally technically sound, but lacks experience against high quality bowling, particularly fast bowling, to refine his skills. He'd be well served by a West Indies 'A' tour, though I'm not sure how the WICB could possibly fund one.

Under a lot of pressure now after a mediocre follow-up to an excellent debut season. He started this season with a couple of ducks amidst some average scores. The hundred against England is only his second venture past 50 this season, but hopefully now he'll push on and get a couple more for T&T.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Adrian Barath is a product of a pretty outstanding system in Trinidad and Tobago. He scored loads of runs at school, club and age level and has always looked assured in doing so. He's generally technically sound, but lacks experience against high quality bowling, particularly fast bowling, to refine his skills. He'd be well served by a West Indies 'A' tour, though I'm not sure how the WICB could possibly fund one.

Under a lot of pressure now after a mediocre follow-up to an excellent debut season. He started this season with a couple of ducks amidst some average scores. The hundred against England is only his second venture past 50 this season, but hopefully now he'll push on and get a couple more for T&T.

Key point that Liam. I wonder though, its obvious all the rest of the regional territories don't have the resources to have such a structure like T&T. But why haven't the WICB invested in building a regional academy, especially with all the money they have gotten from Standford??

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If he does well this season he'll be in contention for a spot in the squad and by next he should be in there if anyone fails.

Matt79

Global Moderator
"A New Hope"? Is this kid a simple farm boy from Tattooine? And why would Imperial troops want to slaughter Jawas??!??

shivfan

Banned
After his century in the WI A team game in St Kitts, that should push his first-class average above 40....

Personally, I think he needs another year playing for Trinidad. We don't want to mash him up, the way we did with a young Marshall!

On the other hand, I think Simmons is ready to replace either Marshall or Smith, if they fail to come with the goods in the Sabina Park Test....

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'd be highly surprised if Simmons is suddenly Test class. And Ryan Hinds has a much more convincing case for a proper run.

shivfan

Banned
Well, Simmons did score his double-hundred against Test class bowlers....

He hasn't been tried at Test level yet.

On the other hand, Ryan Hinds has played 10 Tests, and only averages 24.

Yes, he scored a double-century this season. But who did he score his runs against?

Who's double-century carries greater weight?

But I take your point....

Let's see how Simmons does in next weekend's Carib Series (or whatever it is called now) match. And the other question is, does Simmons bat better in the middle order or as an opener?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Welcome, by the way, to shivfan. Always good to get another West Indies supporter here. Hope you stick around.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Simmons has consistently been mediocre against bowlers much less than Test class for a long time now. He played a fine innings, yes, but against Test bowlers in a warmup environment and on a very small ground.

Ryan Hinds played 4 of his Tests in 2002 when he was 20-21. He's averaged 46.67 in first-class cricket since then, with 7 hundreds and 16 fifties in 76 innings. His opportunities in Test cricket have been as follows:

2004: 84 and 3 1st Test v England
2004: 5 and 0 3rd Test v England
2004: 36 4th Test v England
2005: 48 1st Test v South Africa
2005: 10 and 15 3rd Test v South Africa
2008: 37 and 10 1st Test v Sri Lanka

Only once has he played consecutive Tests since his early run, when he evidently not ready for Test cricket. That's not a proper run at all. After 18 Test innings, Jacques Kallis had a very similar average. He's done okay.

And as for comparing both players' double hundreds, I'd keep them close to par actually. You can be fairly certain that the performance in that match is not a fair reflection on the ability of the England bowling attack. For one, Sidebottom was woefully lacking match fitness and form, and the attack was missing it's best bowler by a comfortable margin.

shivfan

Banned
Welcome, by the way, to shivfan. Always good to get another West Indies supporter here. Hope you stick around.
I'd like to....
:cool:
How many Caribbean cricket fans are there on this board?

Aside from Mr Mx, roseboy and sammy, that is....

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not many, hence my pleasure at seeing another one, who in his first few posts has made some informed sounding posts re: Caribbean cricket.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I'd like to....
How many Caribbean cricket fans are there on this board?

Aside from Mr Mx, roseboy and sammy, that is....
Not many, hence my pleasure at seeing another one, who in his first few posts has made some informed sounding posts re: Caribbean cricket.
There's also me.... but there's other people who are quite knowledgable about Windies cricket despite not supporting them - Dave and Aussie

shivfan

Banned
thanks....
I'm actually a serial poster on BBC 606 and another forum (you've probably guessed by now which one!).

Mr Mx, I actually agree that Ryan Hinds deserves a shot in the WIndies team, but probably as a replacement for the injured Bravo. Maybe he should bat at seven, and then drop Ramdin down to eight, since the keeper's not doing much with the bat.

I see Simmons coming into the number four spot for Marshall, if he continues to under-perform....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Why would Ryan Hinds bat at 7? He's almost certainly a better batsman than Simmons, bats at 3 or 4 for Barbados and scores heavily there. Why is Simmons suddenly a better replacement for a batsman?

Matt79

Global Moderator
thanks....
I'm actually a serial poster on BBC 606 and another forum (you've probably guessed by now which one!).

Mr Mx, I actually agree that Ryan Hinds deserves a shot in the WIndies team, but probably as a replacement for the injured Bravo. Maybe he should bat at seven, and then drop Ramdin down to eight, since the keeper's not doing much with the bat.

I see Simmons coming into the number four spot for Marshall, if he continues to under-perform....
Not from the green planet are you? :-O