Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Michael Clarke the worst leaver in the game?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Haydos, early doors in his career, was a shocking leaver!

I think, for the record, Pup's most embarrassing leave was against Simon Jones, Ashes 2005.

Granted though, that was a peach of a ball.
    Surely this one was far worse?

YouTube - Unbelievable Michael Clarke dismissal

He had every right to leave the ball from Jones. That was an amazing ball. The lead-up to it made it even tougher to play, poor Clarke never had a chance.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

He had every right to leave the ball from Jones. That was an amazing ball. The lead-up to it made it even tougher to play, poor Clarke never had a chance.
    Without opening the link, I surmise that it is that idiotic leave against NZ in the WC?? That was gloriously funny.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Haydos, early doors in his career, was a shocking leaver!

I think, for the record, Pup's most embarrassing leave was against Simon Jones, Ashes 2005.

Granted though, that was a peach of a ball.
    That was not that embarssing tbh, the ball was reversing a mile (because of minty conditons) and Clarke too was restricted in his foot-movement due his back problem..

Though Clarke clearly has a problem, he has gone down to weird dismissals way too often for it to be considered a coincidence.

More than a judgemental era, i think its a concentration problem with him, he once said that some times he pre-meditates into playing too many different shots by the time by ball leaves the bowler' hand and reaches him, and leads him into doing something silly.

That's why he has nowadays started chanting that "watch the ball, watch the ball" mantra, every time a bowler runs into bowl.
    Last edited by pup11; 31-01-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar

Yeah to call that a bad leave is akin to calling Laxman's leave against Asif in 2006 a bad one. Both were just absolute beauties.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Lol'ing at tht
    ~ THE ONLY CARD I NEED IS THE ACE OF SPADES ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    We've seen him get out some shocking ways when leaving the ball. There was that ODI against Zimbabwe, and the one against New Zealand where he advanced down the pitch and left the ball to be bowled by Vettori. Then there was last night and he's been out LBW a few times leaving the ball aswell.

So the question is....Is Michael Clarke the worst leaver in the game?

Can't think of another player off the top of my head who gets out so many times leaving the ball.
    + leaving Harby in the SCG Test (from memory), off spinner and let it hit his pad.

Hussey seems to get bowled an awful lot for a top order batsman, although I can't honestly recall too many terrible leaves from him as such.

Anyway, more reverse swing, but Katich might be regretting offering now shot to this pearler from Fred. And we also get to see what Jonah can do to Clarke's stumps with murray mints and an ageing ball.

EDIT: Mike Hussey, I should probably clarify with his kid bro there or thereabouts too nowadays.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Hussey seems to get bowled an awful lot for a top order batsman, although I can't honestly recall too many terrible leaves from him as such.

EDIT: Mike Hussey, I should probably clarify with his kid bro there or thereabouts too nowadays.
    What an insight, Gelman's been saying this for about 18 months
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline

Anyway, more reverse swing, but Katich might be regretting offering now shot to this pearler from Fred. And we also get to see what Jonah can do to Clarke's stumps with murray mints and an ageing ball.

On second thoughts that second ball which gets Clarke may actually have been a ball
    that seamed back in off the turf rather tha reverse swing.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Clarke competes with Herschelle Gibbs for the worst leaver!
    CricZo XI - 3 Draft Winner

Scorecard Draft (2010) V Sehwag, D Amiss, D Bradman (c), C Cowdrey, P Umrigar, A Faulkner, R Marsh +, M Marshall, W Hall, M Hughes, B O'Reilly
    Alphabetical Draft (2011) S Watson, G Kirsten, D Bradman (c), K Sangakkara +, C Cowdrey, K Pietersen, A Flintoff, M Marshall, B O'Reilly, F Trueman, T Alderman
    The Eras Draft (2014) V Trumper, A Morris, N Harvey, J Kallis, S McCabe, F Woolley, Imran Khan (c), J Dujon +, J Briggs, D Steyn, J Snow

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    What an insight, Gelman's been saying this for about 18 months
    Yeah, in fact I very nearly said "as saggers has been saying" in my post, but CBA in the end. My thinking on most subjects largely untroubled by originality for a good few years now, anyway.

Back on the subject at hand, I think (and I could be entirely wrong in this belief) that Australian (& South African to a lesser extent) batsmen tend to leave far more balls alone than their English counterparts. I think growing up on truer, bouncier pitches has possibly made them more inclined to leave balls on length alone, regardless of line. Because our chaps play on sappier strips their instinct is more to defend because they're more often betrayed by variable bounce. Pietersen is a good leaver and obviously he learnt his cricket elsewhere.

The habits acquired in youth inform the man, so is it possible that chaps like Clarke are occasionally undone by changeable bounce because of this?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah, in fact I very nearly said "as saggers has been saying" in my post, but CBA in the end. My thinking on most subjects largely untroubled by originality for a good few years now, anyway.

Back on the subject at hand, I think (and I could be entirely wrong in this belief) that Australian (& South African to a lesser extent) batsmen tend to leave far more balls alone than their English counterparts. I think growing up on truer, bouncier pitches has possibly made them more inclined to leave balls on length alone, regardless of line. Because our chaps play on sappier strips their instinct is more to defend because they're more often betrayed by variable bounce. Pietersen is a good leaver and obviously he learnt his cricket elsewhere.

The habits acquired in youth inform the man, so is it possible that chaps like Clarke are occasionally undone by changeable bounce because of this?
    Yeah, maybe. That could just be over-theorising though.

On the subject, batsmen get out a lot more often playing defensive shots to balls not hitting the stumps than they do leaving balls that are. So despite looking like a bit of a fool sometimes, maybe Michael Clarke with a test batting average of almost 50 has got the balance better than most.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Compared to his overall batsmanship, yes IMO.

I also think he's one of the worst cutters of the ball going around (comparatively again, obv). I'm sure there are worse cutters who just don't play the shot but Clarke's terrible technique when playing it is so evident given how often he attempts it.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 31-01-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Compared to his overall batsmanship, yes IMO.

I also think he's one of the worst cutters of the ball going around (comparatively again, obv). I'm sure there are worse cutters who just don't play the shot but Clarke's terrible technique when it is so evident given how often he attempts it.
    Loves to collapse the back leg. Always think he's going to be caught at gully, or snick to the keeper.

NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information