• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Hyperbole

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I thought this could be an interesting palce where people could but articles full of exaggeration and lacking in perspective.

As a group, we read a lot about cricket and so much of it is overhyped and overblown.

Article from 2003 said:
Only time will tell if Graeme Smith wipes out all the Don Bradman records. But at this moment, as he bestrides the game like a new Goliath, he seems set for the peak, able to aim for a career total beyond even Sachin Tendulkar's dreams and able to reduce the Bradman performances so that they can be measured in ordinary mortal terms, writes TED CORBETT.

Smith is special, unique, a talent beyond calculation.

On the final page of his biography of Bradman, Irvine Rosenwater quotes Dr. Johnson to prove how long the Bradman records may last. "Sir," observed Dr. Johnson, talking about Alexander Pope, the poet, "a thousand years may elapse before there shall appear another man with the power of versification equal to that of Pope." So, says Rosenwater, might one make a claim, too, about the batsmanship of Donald Bradman.

Rosenwater may be right, but I suspect there will be plenty of times in the next few years when we reach for that book of quotations to describe how long Smith's records will stand alone.
For the love of journalism, tone it down a little.

Smith is a fine player but come on!

Also for anyone that watched his back-to-back doubles against England, they were good innings but his strengths were fed some of the most appetising bowling Ive ever seen.

He was a young man in great form taking advantage of ordinary bowling. Its a big leap to go from that to an automatic alltime great.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Ah Ted Corbett, In my finest mock-Sean Connery accent, "Why am I not shurprished, you piece of ****?"

I used to like him when I was growing up. He was truly past his prime. I can remember of my mind quite a few articles like that about Smith post his England heroics of 2003.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd never read that article about Smith, but by God I hope old Ted looks back on that and cringes.

I remember a similar article in a cricket magazine in the mid-80s - though I can't remember who wrote it - which talked of Australia's search for an allrounder and claimed without a trace of embarrassment that Simon O'Donnell was going to rate in the Keith Miller class.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Luke out! Sussex's Luke Wright's in the swing to be England's new Ian Botham
Sometimes a player comes along in a sport and makes you sit up instead of recline on the settee; makes you put your cuppa down and start thinking "is this the next best thing since . . .?" That person is Luke James Wright, born on March 7, 1985 in Grantham, Lincolnshire.
Or makes you think this guy hits it hard but he cant bowl for toffee and Id like to see him score with a little consistency.

Also, punnage to make Webbers cringe.

Precambrian

Banned
Luke out! Sussex's Luke Wright's in the swing to be England's new Ian Botham

Or makes you think this guy hits it hard but he cant bowl for toffee and Id like to see him score with a little consistency.

Also, punnage to make Webbers cringe.
Haha, had a read up on the author's credentials

Mark Rivlin

Mark Rivlin is a copywriter, editor and cricket junkie who also admits to a craving for football and Leeds United (the two are mutually exclusive). Mark spent 11 years on the Sunday People sports desk decoding football stories from England's finest drinkers (also known as match reporters), and he has written on sport for national and regional titles in the UK and beyond.
:laugh: