Page 1 of 380 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 5686

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

  1. #1
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146

    ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

    Fixtures
    Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

    February 2009
    Fri 20 - Sun 22
    10:30 local, 08:30 GMT South Africa A v Australians
    Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

    Thu 26 - Mon 2
    10:30 local, 08:30 GMT 1st Test - South Africa v Australia
    New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

    March 2009
    Fri 6 - Tue 10
    10:30 local, 08:30 GMT 2nd Test - South Africa v Australia
    Kingsmead, Durban

    Thu 19 - Mon 23
    10:30 local, 08:30 GMT 3rd Test - South Africa v Australia
    Newlands, Cape Town

    Fri 27 D/N
    18:00 local, 16:00 GMT 1st T20I - South Africa v Australia
    New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

    Sun 29 D/N
    18:00 local, 16:00 GMT 2nd T20I - South Africa v Australia
    SuperSport Park, Centurion

    April 2009
    Fri 3 D/N
    14:30 local, 12:30 GMT 1st ODI - South Africa v Australia
    Kingsmead, Durban

    Sun 5
    10:00 local, 08:00 GMT 2nd ODI - South Africa v Australia
    SuperSport Park, Centurion

    Thu 9 D/N
    14:30 local, 12:30 GMT 3rd ODI - South Africa v Australia
    Newlands, Cape Town

    Mon 13
    10:00 local, 08:00 GMT 4th ODI - South Africa v Australia
    St George's Park, Port Elizabeth

    Fri 17 D/N
    14:30 local, 12:30 GMT 5th ODI - South Africa v Australia
    New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg



    One of the biggest and most anticipated series to be played this year, Australia have been already humbled by the Proteas in their own backyard, beaten in both the test and ODI series, so can the Aussies bounce back and restore the lost pride or are Smith and his men going to prove too good for them once again, lets discuss.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    If Australia continues to struggle to put up with a fully fit pace battery, I'd safely predict a whitewash in tests for the South Africans. ODIs might be a bit different though.

  3. #3
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Battling Phils could book Test tour double berth

    As many problems Australia might be having with their bowling department atm, another big decision that needs to made is, who is going to replace Matty Hayden at the top of the order.

    Its a two way battle atm between Phil Jaques and Phil Hughes and both are gonna play as openers in NSW's next Shield game, so if Hughes makes runs in that game to backs the brilliant form he has shown so far this season and Jaques fails to make runs, then should Hughes be prefered ahead of Jaques, though i think there is a place in the squad for both, but i think the bigger question is who should be opening the innings with Katich in the 1st test in South Africa, Hughes or Jaques?

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    If Australia continues to struggle to put up with a fully fit pace battery, I'd safely predict a whitewash in tests for the South Africans. ODIs might be a bit different though.
    This.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn


  5. #5
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,468
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Battling Phils could book Test tour double berth

    As many problems Australia might be having with their bowling department atm, another big decision that needs to made is, who is going to replace Matty Hayden at the top of the order.

    Its a two way battle atm between Phil Jaques and Phil Hughes and both are gonna play as openers in NSW's next Shield game, so if Hughes makes runs in that game to backs the brilliant form he has shown so far this season and Jaques fails to make runs, then should Hughes be prefered ahead of Jaques, though i think there is a place in the squad for both, but i think the bigger question is who should be opening the innings with Katich in the 1st test in South Africa, Hughes or Jaques?
    Jaques - good record and deserves to slot straight back in

    IMO, the only reason Hughes is even in contention is because of media pressure as Rogers has done more than enough to justify inclusion in front of him

    Let Hughes attempt to keep piling up runs in fc cricket for a while

  6. #6
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    If Australia continues to struggle to put up with a fully fit pace battery, I'd safely predict a whitewash in tests for the South Africans. ODIs might be a bit different though.
    Don't see why we can't draw a couple, but yeah will be difficult bowling SA out cheaply.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Don't see why we can't draw a couple, but yeah will be difficult bowling SA out cheaply.
    I think drawing will be a difficult option considering the patchy form of the batsmen of late, and also that Hayden, the runmaker is gone. Ponting and Hussey will have to step up quite a bit to enable Australia make scores around 500 in every game, and looks unlikely considering the strong bowling attack of SA.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Although the consensus to replace Hayden is to pick Jaques & the selectors are likely to do so. I can't help but think the opposite & push for Hodge to be seleted, pushing Hussey up to open gives the batting a more solid look without a doubt.

    Although the selectors & Noffke has issues, again i think picking him gives the bowling balance a better shape.

    This would be my XI & squad for SA personally now:

    Katich
    M Hussey
    Ponting
    Hodge
    Clarke
    Symonds/D Hussey
    Haddin
    Noffke
    Johnson
    Siddle
    Bollinger

    Jaques
    Symo/D Hussey
    McGain
    Hilfenhaus

  9. #9
    International Debutant inbox24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108
    There's no way Hussey will open. Such a band-aid solution will only cost us in the long run, and further destabilise an already volatile middle order. Instead, Phil Jaques pending form should slot right back in, and if Hughes in is good nick, we should place him in the middle order. Enough of this "players can ONLY bat at their designated positions rubbish". It's cost us enough already, the option of letting Hughes can come in before Haddin should be kept open.

    Katich
    Jaques
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Hussey/Hughes/Hodge
    Haddin

  10. #10
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    I think drawing will be a difficult option considering the patchy form of the batsmen of late, and also that Hayden, the runmaker is gone. Ponting and Hussey will have to step up quite a bit to enable Australia make scores around 500 in every game, and looks unlikely considering the strong bowling attack of SA.
    The worst aspect of some of Oz's performances this summer is that 2 of the SA attack (Ntini and Morkel) largely bowled pretty poorly

    We all know that Oz has a depleted attack so it's about time the so-called quality batsmen stepped up and actually capitalised upon an attack that is really no better than the SA attacks they've dominated consistently over the years

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,158
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    The worst aspect of some of Oz's performances this summer is that 2 of the SA attack (Ntini and Morkel) largely bowled pretty poorly

    We all know that Oz has a depleted attack so it's about time the so-called quality batsmen stepped up and actually capitalised upon an attack that is really no better than the SA attacks they've dominated consistently over the years
    Hopefully they'll pick an actual Test number 6 for the next Test then.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,513
    Bit of a left-field line-up re. the batting:

    Hughes/ Rogers
    Jaques
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Katich
    Haddin

    Not much of a chance for that line up to be picked I know, but really, given Hayden's form, how much will we miss him over there? Don't see his absence as that bad really, so if Hughes/ Rogers fail, what's the difference to what went on this summer at home?

    Hussey seems to have been his most successful at 5 or 6, and I really don't see the problem with Katich batting lower down at either of those spots, freeing up a spot for Jaques (who, pending fitness deserves it) and Hughes or Rogers, depending on how they want to go.

    This all depends on whether Symonds or McDonald are fit and picked to play. They'll probably play Symonds, which means Hughes/ Rogers to miss out and Kat to open with Jaques. If they play an all rounder, I must admit that's probably how I'd do it (Kat and Jaques).

  13. #13
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Bit of a left-field line-up re. the batting:

    Hughes/ Rogers
    Jaques
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Katich
    Haddin

    Not much of a chance for that line up to be picked I know, but really, given Hayden's form, how much will we miss him over there? Don't see his absence as that bad really, so if Hughes/ Rogers fail, what's the difference to what went on this summer at home?

    Hussey seems to have been his most successful at 5 or 6, and I really don't see the problem with Katich batting lower down at either of those spots, freeing up a spot for Jaques (who, pending fitness deserves it) and Hughes or Rogers, depending on how they want to go.

    This all depends on whether Symonds or McDonald are fit and picked to play. They'll probably play Symonds, which means Hughes/ Rogers to miss out and Kat to open with Jaques. If they play an all rounder, I must admit that's probably how I'd do it (Kat and Jaques).
    No way Katich should be taken out the opening slot, the guy has done well there so why move him from there to just fit in an extra player, who might or might not perform, Katich has himself admitted he is much happier being in the top order, even if that means opening the batting, rather than bat at 6.

    As you said, this is pretty much going to be the XI for the first test irrespective of what we think:

    1.Jaques
    2.Katich
    3.Ponting (c)
    4.Clarke
    5.Hussey
    6.Symonds
    7.Haddin
    8.Johnson
    9.Hauritz/McGain
    10.Siddle
    11.Bollinger/Hilfenhaus


    So if every one stays fit, that's pretty much the team we are likely to see for the first test, anyways if Siddle doesn't recover from his injury in time for this series, then who should be his replacement, my picks would be either Harris or Magoffin, both are very good seam bowlers and might prove more than useful in South African conditions.

    I think the major Aussie problem is to get the required 20 wickets to win the game, because despite all the grey areas in the batting department, Australia still have managed 350+ totals in the 1st innings of the test matches pretty regularly, so if bowling can be improved upon, Australian chances would get an immense boost.

  14. #14
    International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ashfield
    Posts
    1,675
    McGain needs to go, and if Noffke shows even a glimpse of form, he should go as well. Depending on which spinner is picked, I'd even think about:

    6 Haddin
    7 Noffke

    Because we need 20 wickets.

  15. #15
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    McGain needs to go, and if Noffke shows even a glimpse of form, he should go as well. Depending on which spinner is picked, I'd even think about:

    6 Haddin
    7 Noffke

    Because we need 20 wickets.
    Haddin just hasn't shown the consistency to be bat in the top 6 though, he has played a few gun knocks against the Black Caps and Saffies, but consistency is important when you batting in the top 6, he is a bit too much of hit and miss player to be batting there imo.

    Noffke would be a very good bowler to have and he can bat decently too, but i don't think he is going to be picked though.

Page 1 of 380 1231151101 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pakistan Cricket news/views
    By Fusion in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 781
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
  2. **Official** New Zealand in Australia
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6541
    Last Post: 16-02-2009, 04:49 PM
  3. The Top 9 ODI Nations
    By Athlai in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. England axe Test for South Africa tour
    By biased indian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 12:30 PM
  5. Can South Africa bounce back and win the ODI Series?
    By satheeshv37 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2009, 04:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •