• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

pup11

International Coach
Fixtures
Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

February 2009
Fri 20 - Sun 22
10:30 local, 08:30 GMT South Africa A v Australians
Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

Thu 26 - Mon 2
10:30 local, 08:30 GMT 1st Test - South Africa v Australia
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

March 2009
Fri 6 - Tue 10
10:30 local, 08:30 GMT 2nd Test - South Africa v Australia
Kingsmead, Durban

Thu 19 - Mon 23
10:30 local, 08:30 GMT 3rd Test - South Africa v Australia
Newlands, Cape Town

Fri 27 D/N
18:00 local, 16:00 GMT 1st T20I - South Africa v Australia

Sun 29 D/N
18:00 local, 16:00 GMT 2nd T20I - South Africa v Australia
SuperSport Park, Centurion

April 2009
Fri 3 D/N
14:30 local, 12:30 GMT 1st ODI - South Africa v Australia
Kingsmead, Durban

Sun 5
10:00 local, 08:00 GMT 2nd ODI - South Africa v Australia
SuperSport Park, Centurion

Thu 9 D/N
14:30 local, 12:30 GMT 3rd ODI - South Africa v Australia
Newlands, Cape Town

Mon 13
10:00 local, 08:00 GMT 4th ODI - South Africa v Australia
St George's Park, Port Elizabeth

Fri 17 D/N
14:30 local, 12:30 GMT 5th ODI - South Africa v Australia

One of the biggest and most anticipated series to be played this year, Australia have been already humbled by the Proteas in their own backyard, beaten in both the test and ODI series, so can the Aussies bounce back and restore the lost pride or are Smith and his men going to prove too good for them once again, lets discuss.

Precambrian

Banned
If Australia continues to struggle to put up with a fully fit pace battery, I'd safely predict a whitewash in tests for the South Africans. ODIs might be a bit different though.

pup11

International Coach
Battling Phils could book Test tour double berth

As many problems Australia might be having with their bowling department atm, another big decision that needs to made is, who is going to replace Matty Hayden at the top of the order.

Its a two way battle atm between Phil Jaques and Phil Hughes and both are gonna play as openers in NSW's next Shield game, so if Hughes makes runs in that game to backs the brilliant form he has shown so far this season and Jaques fails to make runs, then should Hughes be prefered ahead of Jaques, though i think there is a place in the squad for both, but i think the bigger question is who should be opening the innings with Katich in the 1st test in South Africa, Hughes or Jaques?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Battling Phils could book Test tour double berth

As many problems Australia might be having with their bowling department atm, another big decision that needs to made is, who is going to replace Matty Hayden at the top of the order.

Its a two way battle atm between Phil Jaques and Phil Hughes and both are gonna play as openers in NSW's next Shield game, so if Hughes makes runs in that game to backs the brilliant form he has shown so far this season and Jaques fails to make runs, then should Hughes be prefered ahead of Jaques, though i think there is a place in the squad for both, but i think the bigger question is who should be opening the innings with Katich in the 1st test in South Africa, Hughes or Jaques?
Jaques - good record and deserves to slot straight back in

IMO, the only reason Hughes is even in contention is because of media pressure as Rogers has done more than enough to justify inclusion in front of him

Let Hughes attempt to keep piling up runs in fc cricket for a while

pasag

RTDAS
If Australia continues to struggle to put up with a fully fit pace battery, I'd safely predict a whitewash in tests for the South Africans. ODIs might be a bit different though.
Don't see why we can't draw a couple, but yeah will be difficult bowling SA out cheaply.

Precambrian

Banned
Don't see why we can't draw a couple, but yeah will be difficult bowling SA out cheaply.
I think drawing will be a difficult option considering the patchy form of the batsmen of late, and also that Hayden, the runmaker is gone. Ponting and Hussey will have to step up quite a bit to enable Australia make scores around 500 in every game, and looks unlikely considering the strong bowling attack of SA.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Although the consensus to replace Hayden is to pick Jaques & the selectors are likely to do so. I can't help but think the opposite & push for Hodge to be seleted, pushing Hussey up to open gives the batting a more solid look without a doubt.

Although the selectors & Noffke has issues, again i think picking him gives the bowling balance a better shape.

This would be my XI & squad for SA personally now:

Katich
M Hussey
Ponting
Hodge
Clarke
Symonds/D Hussey
Haddin
Noffke
Johnson
Siddle
Bollinger

Jaques
Symo/D Hussey
McGain
Hilfenhaus

inbox24

International Debutant
There's no way Hussey will open. Such a band-aid solution will only cost us in the long run, and further destabilise an already volatile middle order. Instead, Phil Jaques pending form should slot right back in, and if Hughes in is good nick, we should place him in the middle order. Enough of this "players can ONLY bat at their designated positions rubbish". It's cost us enough already, the option of letting Hughes can come in before Haddin should be kept open.

Katich
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Hussey/Hughes/Hodge
Haddin

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think drawing will be a difficult option considering the patchy form of the batsmen of late, and also that Hayden, the runmaker is gone. Ponting and Hussey will have to step up quite a bit to enable Australia make scores around 500 in every game, and looks unlikely considering the strong bowling attack of SA.
The worst aspect of some of Oz's performances this summer is that 2 of the SA attack (Ntini and Morkel) largely bowled pretty poorly

We all know that Oz has a depleted attack so it's about time the so-called quality batsmen stepped up and actually capitalised upon an attack that is really no better than the SA attacks they've dominated consistently over the years

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The worst aspect of some of Oz's performances this summer is that 2 of the SA attack (Ntini and Morkel) largely bowled pretty poorly

We all know that Oz has a depleted attack so it's about time the so-called quality batsmen stepped up and actually capitalised upon an attack that is really no better than the SA attacks they've dominated consistently over the years
Hopefully they'll pick an actual Test number 6 for the next Test then.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit of a left-field line-up re. the batting:

Hughes/ Rogers
Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Katich
Haddin

Not much of a chance for that line up to be picked I know, but really, given Hayden's form, how much will we miss him over there? Don't see his absence as that bad really, so if Hughes/ Rogers fail, what's the difference to what went on this summer at home?

Hussey seems to have been his most successful at 5 or 6, and I really don't see the problem with Katich batting lower down at either of those spots, freeing up a spot for Jaques (who, pending fitness deserves it) and Hughes or Rogers, depending on how they want to go.

This all depends on whether Symonds or McDonald are fit and picked to play. They'll probably play Symonds, which means Hughes/ Rogers to miss out and Kat to open with Jaques. If they play an all rounder, I must admit that's probably how I'd do it (Kat and Jaques).

pup11

International Coach
Bit of a left-field line-up re. the batting:

Hughes/ Rogers
Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Katich
Haddin

Not much of a chance for that line up to be picked I know, but really, given Hayden's form, how much will we miss him over there? Don't see his absence as that bad really, so if Hughes/ Rogers fail, what's the difference to what went on this summer at home?

Hussey seems to have been his most successful at 5 or 6, and I really don't see the problem with Katich batting lower down at either of those spots, freeing up a spot for Jaques (who, pending fitness deserves it) and Hughes or Rogers, depending on how they want to go.

This all depends on whether Symonds or McDonald are fit and picked to play. They'll probably play Symonds, which means Hughes/ Rogers to miss out and Kat to open with Jaques. If they play an all rounder, I must admit that's probably how I'd do it (Kat and Jaques).
No way Katich should be taken out the opening slot, the guy has done well there so why move him from there to just fit in an extra player, who might or might not perform, Katich has himself admitted he is much happier being in the top order, even if that means opening the batting, rather than bat at 6.

As you said, this is pretty much going to be the XI for the first test irrespective of what we think:

1.Jaques
2.Katich
3.Ponting (c)
4.Clarke
5.Hussey
6.Symonds
7.Haddin
8.Johnson
9.Hauritz/McGain
10.Siddle
11.Bollinger/Hilfenhaus

So if every one stays fit, that's pretty much the team we are likely to see for the first test, anyways if Siddle doesn't recover from his injury in time for this series, then who should be his replacement, my picks would be either Harris or Magoffin, both are very good seam bowlers and might prove more than useful in South African conditions.

I think the major Aussie problem is to get the required 20 wickets to win the game, because despite all the grey areas in the batting department, Australia still have managed 350+ totals in the 1st innings of the test matches pretty regularly, so if bowling can be improved upon, Australian chances would get an immense boost.

Julian87

State Captain
McGain needs to go, and if Noffke shows even a glimpse of form, he should go as well. Depending on which spinner is picked, I'd even think about:

6 Haddin
7 Noffke

Because we need 20 wickets.

pup11

International Coach
McGain needs to go, and if Noffke shows even a glimpse of form, he should go as well. Depending on which spinner is picked, I'd even think about:

6 Haddin
7 Noffke

Because we need 20 wickets.
Haddin just hasn't shown the consistency to be bat in the top 6 though, he has played a few gun knocks against the Black Caps and Saffies, but consistency is important when you batting in the top 6, he is a bit too much of hit and miss player to be batting there imo.

Noffke would be a very good bowler to have and he can bat decently too, but i don't think he is going to be picked though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Would take issue with this - I think Hayden's retirement and replacement with Jaques, Rogers, or Hughes, will actually strengthen the team. Because they're not replacing "overall-career-record" Hayden, and certainly not 2001 or 2006 Matt Hayden, they're replacing 2008/9 Hayden, and Jaques, Rogers and Hughes are all >> than 08/09 Haydos.

I'd bet against Ponting and Hussey having two poor (relatively in Ponting's case) series in a row, and if we actually select a proper batsman at 6 given the lack of test standard allrounders, then our batting will be in fine shape.

The bowling will be more problematic. Really don't think Noffke or Bollinger are the solutions to the problem either. Johnson, Siddle, hopefully Clark for me, with Bollinger as the back up. Don't mind Hauritz, I think he's done the job more often than not for Ponting, and if we don't have a really good spinner, then someone who is at least reliably "ok" is not a bad thing. McGain hopefully does enough to reclaim a tour spot, but I don't think he should go straight back in ahead of Haury. Krejza to stay at home comparing notes with Beau Casson of wild-flings with selectors gone wrong.

kingkallis

International Coach
It will be interesting to see how the Aussies top order handles Steyn on much quicker South African wickets...

Matt79

Global Moderator
:ph34r:
:eek:
*dogs-breakfast*
perhaps...

Actually, I think that they'll have their moments, but generally do ok.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't mind Hauritz, I think he's done the job more often than not for Ponting, and if we don't have a really good spinner, then someone who is at least reliably "ok" is not a bad thing. McGain hopefully does enough to reclaim a tour spot, but I don't think he should go straight back in ahead of Haury.
No doubt Hauritz did ok vs SA & NZ. But given that we have no really worthy all-rounder in Watson (i hope the god those idiots dont pick McDonald) to give the bowling the required 5-man attack for this tour.

Haurtiz cannot be affored in a 4-man attack. That 100% madness. If wouldn't even pick McGain a 4-man attack, but i would pick his as the only spinner.

It should be pretty clear to the selectors & most that Australia have to depend solely on their pace ranks in SA. So so continue to continue broken record, 4-SEAMERS have to play in SA.

Krejza to stay at home comparing notes with Beau Casson of wild-flings with selectors gone wrong.
Yea Krejza should stay home. But if we get Watson fit & strong (although i tend to fear these days, that given his injuries Australia depending on him to be the all-rounder batting @ 6 consistently might become Bond situation with NZ). Krejza would be the best spinner in a 5-man attack.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way Hussey will open. Such a band-aid solution will only cost us in the long run, and further destabilise an already volatile middle order.
Will it really though?. Australia's middle-order was fairly solid vs SA i'd say. Only Hussey was out of form, Symo lacking fitness & off-field situation didn't help him, plus the crazy ol selectors picked McDonald (although he tried) instead of someone like Hodge, D Hussey or even North.

Its still is my personal opinion though. But serious talk who in Hayden's retirement strenghtens the batting more Hodge or Jaques/Hughes/Rogers??. Surely Hodge.

No doubt Hussey has made Martyn #4 spot his own. But he clearly can handle opening the batting in test. The only thing that would hold this idea back is Hussey's current form.