• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Thats probably true on this type of pitch, but would be interested to see how they fare on a flatter pitch where the side have to get through 100+ overs.
Can see Hilf doing the containing job, Johnson and Siddle as the strike bowlers, North for tight spin and then (hopefully) someone else decent. ;)

Rate it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On a more batting friendly pitch, how many more would South Africa have leaked though?

Our bowling attack is just better imo and I said that before the Test.
Nah completely disagree. Australia's attack can hit the right length at pace so they're a handful when the pitch gives them assistance. South Africa aren't so accurate so they don't dominate as much when conditions are in their favour. But unlike any other attack in the world, they can strike at any time on any pitch, so they can and do force results on flat decks. There's no way you can say that the Aussie bowling attack is "just better", least of all before the match when they've barely played a test between them.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
There's no way you can say that the Aussie bowling attack is "just better", least of all before the match when they've barely played a test between them.
Haha, believe it or not, yes I can because it's my opinion. :p Obviously they haven't been tested where the South Africans have.

The only point I'm trying to make is that, imo, Australia's attack is better than South Africa's. I was the only one to say that before this Test, got shouted down about it, and look where we are.

I can understand that people disagree with me. But atm, there is no conclusive evidence, so there is no answer, only opinions. :)

Uppercut

Haha, believe it or not, yes I can because it's my opinion. :p Obviously they haven't been tested where the South Africans have.

The only point I'm trying to make is that, imo, Australia's attack is better than South Africa's. I was the only one to say that before this Test, got shouted down about it, and look where we are.

I can understand that people disagree with me. But atm, there is no conclusive evidence, so there is no answer, only opinions. :)
That's not what i meant when i said there's no way you can say it. Not that it's blatantly untrue, just that there's no evidence to make that call on when none of them have played a test. It's like me saying that in my opinion I'm better at clay pigeon shooting than you.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
That's not what i meant when i said there's no way you can say it. Not that it's blatantly untrue, just that there's no evidence to make that call on when none of them have played a test. It's like me saying that in my opinion I'm better at clay pigeon shooting than you.
Ah k, understood. It must be known though that I don't say things like that for no reason. :p It comes from years of watching and analysing Grade and State Cricket, etc. And it normally turns out to be correct. ;) There is though, as you said, no evidence.

You are probably better at clay pigeon shooting though, so, not your best example. :ph34r:

Burgey

No idea why Ponting didnt enforce the follow on as it was always going to be a shortened day, the Saffies only hope is to bowl Oz out cheaply and chances are they're mentally ****ed any way

As for the people who keep on referring to Oz as a 3 man attack - sorry boys but you're talking crap

McDonald was hardly hit off the square in the first dig, took a wicket and the only reason he wasnt used more was because he wasnt needed
Except the fact they only had three front line quicks is very likely the reason why Ponting didn't enforce the follow on - the workload of those blokes, given a close three test series has just begun.

Top_Cat

I don't think Australia will declare with 400 ahead. I'd say 450 minimum. I'm sure they haven't forgotten Perth yet.
By the same token, one can't be paranoid about a repeat of a freak event (a 400+ chase) on a vastly different deck. Fortune favours the brave.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Except the fact they only had three front line quicks is very likely the reason why Ponting didn't enforce the follow on - the workload of those blokes, given a close three test series has just begun.
If it was 40 degrees, flat, and no rain on the horizon, I'd agree with you

The problem with Ponting's decision is that the bowling conditions are perfect right now and the weather might be a real problem going forward

SA only bowled 16 overs last night and they could easily have spread that around all 4 bowlers without any damage being done to their position in the game

Furthermore, the point about a 3 match series is largely redundant because by electing not to enforce the follow on, Oz will have to bowl last thereby guaranteeing that the bowlers will have lest rest before the next test

However, as it is, he now has to worry about runs, wickets, time and the weather rather than just wickets

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
If it was 40 degrees, flat, and no rain on the horizon, I'd agree with you

The problem with Ponting's decision is that the bowling conditions are perfect right now and the weather might be a real problem going forward

SA only bowled 16 overs last night and they could easily have spread that around all 4 bowlers without any damage being done to their position in the game

Furthermore, the point about a 3 match series is largely redundant because by electing not to enforce the follow on, Oz will have to bowl last thereby guaranteeing that the bowlers will have lest rest before the next test

However, as it is, he now has to worry about runs, wickets, time and the weather rather than just wickets
This. Very much so.

Craig

World Traveller
If he wasn't religious, why would he think there is a loved one up there?
Depends, he could be agnostic, or I don't know, I have never met him nor know him. I'm don't belong to any sort of faith, never been to church etc. and yet I believe in some sort of afterlife when you die.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Depends, he could be agnostic, or I don't know, I have never met him nor know him. I'm don't belong to any sort of faith, never been to church etc. and yet I believe in some sort of afterlife when you die.
Again, de Villiers is an evangelical Christian.

social

First time I've seen Hughes

Technique looks all over the place but he knows how to punish the bad balls - sort of a poor man's Phil Jaques

I hope the former is due to nerves because the talent is undeniable

Burgey

One of the quirkier consequences of the referral system is surely that the fielding team cops the flak for not referring a leg side gloved catch like Hughes', and the umpire who got the decision wrong in the 1st place doesn't get a mention!!

andyc

Have NFI what cricinfo's on about, can someone watching it clear it up?

21.2 Morkel to Ponting, no run, stand and deliver, best shot of the morning, Morkel moves it away late wide of the off stump and Ponting gets a half stride forward and creams it past cover, little effort needed

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
That is the second occasion that Hughes should be out caught down leg side, you would think Smith would take a stab at using his referrals, not as if Australia are going to bat all day. Confidence boosting innings for the young kid, showed he can bat. Possible 50 on debut is a fair effort.

Australia scoring at a brisk rate, don't expect them to bat for much longer than lunchtime.

Burgey

First time I've seen Hughes

Technique looks all over the place but he knows how to punish the bad balls - sort of a poor man's Phil Jaques

I hope the former is due to nerves because the talent is undeniable
It's certatinly his own style, isn't it? I suppose the good thing is, coming in so young, he's got plenty of time to develop and work on his technique.