• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

pasag

RTDAS
Okay, ta. Seems a bit of a weird decision, especially if they don't get back on today.
Looked pretty dark. All you need is a Ntini special like to Langer last time we were here and your series is over, not really worth it when you're this far ahead.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, player vs player comparisons when judging a side just don't work. Made a gun post about it somewhere else.

pup11

International Coach
They did, it was asked and they walked off. Very surprised myself, but looking very dark.
With only three bowlers to fall back upon, Australia might need all the time in the world to bowl the Saffers out the second time around, and considering that full day's play in the next two days is also very unlikely to take place, the decision to accept the light at this stage, might not prove to be the greatest.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Mmm. TT was saying not long ago that they don't prepare many greentops these days because they seem to lose a lot on them. It doesn't always work out as you say. If a pitch is fast but not showing much seam and the ball's not swinging, their attack can still take wickets to some extent while the Aussie one can't. On seaming tracks, both attacks can take wickets but the really long, top-quality Australian batting lineup can deal with it better than the Saffer one can.

Maybe. It's all very theoretical. In truth whoever performs better on the day will win tbh.
:( Seam is Krypton for the South Africans.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Looked pretty dark. All you need is a Ntini special like to Langer last time we were here and your series is over, not really worth it when you're this far ahead.
Yeah, I guess. I just thought they'd want to get as far ahead as soon as possible, because presumably they want to be declared by lunch.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah, I guess. I just thought they'd want to get as far ahead as soon as possible, because presumably they want to be declared by lunch.
They still will be. Will declare 20 minutes before, they should have 400 by then assuming they flay the willow a little, which you imagine they will with 9 in hand and 300 ahead.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No idea why Ponting didnt enforce the follow on as it was always going to be a shortened day, the Saffies only hope is to bowl Oz out cheaply and chances are they're mentally ****ed any way

As for the people who keep on referring to Oz as a 3 man attack - sorry boys but you're talking crap

McDonald was hardly hit off the square in the first dig, took a wicket and the only reason he wasnt used more was because he wasnt needed

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
SA in a predicament about who they can replace if no one performs. A bunch of them are suspended and Tsotsobe is injured. Next in line is probably Friedel De Wet and he's just come back from injury after being out for a year.

Evermind

International Debutant
They still will be. Will declare 20 minutes before, they should have 400 by then assuming they flay the willow a little, which you imagine they will with 9 in hand and 300 ahead.
I don't think Australia will declare with 400 ahead. I'd say 450 minimum. I'm sure they haven't forgotten Perth yet.

They might declare half hour after lunch, which still leaves SA 4.5 sessions to survive on this wicket. I think this game is Australia's, no matter how conservatively Ponting plays his cards.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Regardless of the result I'd leave the SA team as it is. The only player I'd consider dropping is Morkel, like you said though, there isn't really anyone pushing as a replacement.

inbox24

International Debutant
Don't think the South Africans should have prepared a greentop (although some things are out of control). You see, the less spicy the wicket is, the less effective our bowlers are, and this decline is much greater for our team than theirs. This should be a pattern for all international sides competing against us.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
On a more batting friendly pitch, how many more would South Africa have leaked though?

Our bowling attack is just better imo and I said that before the Test.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Our bowling attack is just better imo and I said that before the Test.
Thats probably true on this type of pitch, but would be interested to see how they fare on a flatter pitch where the side have to get through 100+ overs.