• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a great day for Australia.

First time we've out-disciplined SA's bowlers (well, so far at least) all summer. We were lots better than them in terms of the length we bowled.

North - WD on a good debut. Off stump does worry me though with those sliced attempted drives, but kudos.

Hilfy - swing, and plenty of it!! Bring on England.

McDonald - copped a great ball,thought he bowled ok though.

Johnson - this dude is rapidly becoming a major, major cricketer. Uncomplcated batting technique, genuine pace, but IMO the most important thing for Australia int he whole day was that Johnson swung it - really swung it - not massively, but enough to trouble quality batsmen.

If, and it's a bif if - he could keep doing that, the bloke would be pressing Steyn for the mantle of world's best quick in no time flat.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Fantastic day for the Australians. The best performance we have seen from the side in quite some time.

Johnson is really sticking it to his detractors. The amount of flack this guy copped early on in his career and even up to the recent Australian summer has proven to be largely undeserved. Johnson should now be one of the most celebrated cricketers in world cricket. He is probably the fastest bowler in tests right now, and his consistency at keeping his pace up all day shows what a workhorse he is. His batting is just so simple, usually gets his eye in, then when gets the chance he hits long. His stats look incredible now, and he has achieved this without any minnow bashing.

Big thumbs up to Johnson. I would hate to think what Australia's record would be like from the past 6-7 months without Johnson's contribution.

Woodster

International Captain
Missed the final session, how did the Aussie bowlers ? Burgey suggested Johnson swung it ? Swing and bowling at his pace will make him a real handful. What pace was Hilfenhaus operating around ? I'm presuming he did get the ball to swing away from the right hander. Judging by the bowling analysis' these two appeared the stand out bowlers ?

Sylvester

State Captain
Johnson still has work to do on his swing but he was getting the odd ball to go into the batter. Hilfy was in the high 130s occasional over the 140km/h. And yea he got it going away from the right handers pitched it on about middle and swung it away. Was too good for McKenize on several occasions.

Steulen

International Regular
Missed the final session, how did the Aussie bowlers ? Burgey suggested Johnson swung it ? Swing and bowling at his pace will make him a real handful. What pace was Hilfenhaus operating around ? I'm presuming he did get the ball to swing away from the right hander. Judging by the bowling analysis' these two appeared the stand out bowlers ?
Johnson and Hilfenhaus were outstanding first up, excellent deliveries got rid of Smith and Amla, They swung it, bowled goodl ines and lengths and basically dried uo the runrate completely.

Siddle was loose, at one point he had leakd almost all the Saffie's runs, but he did produce a good ball to take the wicket of Kallis (although there was no need for Kallis to play at it).

I thought McDonald bowled OK and he did have one credible shout for LBW that Ponting chose not to refer after some discussion with other players. North's offspin didn't look too threatening although he did spin it a little bit.

Woodster

International Captain
Cheers for the updates guys.
I like the look of Hilfenhaus, decent enough pace and fair amount of away swing with right conditions.

Noble One

Cheers for the updates guys.
I like the look of Hilfenhaus, decent enough pace and fair amount of away swing with right conditions.
This is what has made him a consistent performer for Tasmania. He swings the ball straight from the hand, pitches it up and has enough pace to draw the batsman into a false shot. He then proceeds to do this for 6 balls of the over and soon enough that batsman may falter. Very simple method of bowling, and one with the right mixture of conditions can make him a real threat.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fantastic day for the Australians. The best performance we have seen from the side in quite some time.

Johnson is really sticking it to his detractors. The amount of flack this guy copped early on in his career and even up to the recent Australian summer has proven to be largely undeserved. Johnson should now be one of the most celebrated cricketers in world cricket. He is probably the fastest bowler in tests right now, and his consistency at keeping his pace up all day shows what a workhorse he is. His batting is just so simple, usually gets his eye in, then when gets the chance he hits long. His stats look incredible now, and he has achieved this without any minnow bashing.

Big thumbs up to Johnson. I would hate to think what Australia's record would be like from the past 6-7 months without Johnson's contribution.
Completely AWTA. Johnson has been an absolute machine for the team since the start of the Indian tour. The amount of overs he's bowled as a stock bowler (so to speak), wickets he's continually picked up (Often the important ones at that) and runs he's contributed, especially when the team has been in dire situations, has been absolutely phenomenal.

Last edited:

Noble One

Completely AWTA. Johnson has been an absolute machine for the team since the start of the Indian tour. The amount of overs he's bowled as a stock bowler (so to speak), wickets he's continually picked up (Often the important ones at that) and runs he's contributed, especially when the teams been in dire situations, has been absolutely phenomenal.
Whilst we are spreading the Johnson love I should add he has the strongest throwing arm going around.

Woodster

International Captain
Listened to a very interesting interview with Shane Warne today on our screens. He indicated that Mitchell Johnson cannot lead this Australian attack at the moment, due in the main to his inexperience, but also praised his abilities as a bowler.

Warne said for Australia to win the Ashes, it's vital they have the experienced figures of Brett Lee and Stuart Clark available and fully fit ? Can Australia not win in England with Johnson as the spearhead ?

Noble One

Listened to a very interesting interview with Shane Warne today on our screens. He indicated that Mitchell Johnson cannot lead this Australian attack at the moment, due in the main to his inexperience, but also praised his abilities as a bowler.

Warne said for Australia to win the Ashes, it's vital they have the experienced figures of Brett Lee and Stuart Clark available and fully fit ? Can Australia not win in England with Johnson as the spearhead ?
I will take a fully fit and in-form Johnson as spearhead over two bowlers who have recovering injuries and are reaching the mid 30's in age.

It is a rather sweeping comment to say Australia cannot win in England with Johnson leading the attack. Mitch Johnson has lead the attack for much of the previous season, it was largely due to the lack of success of Stuart Clark and Brett Lee plus the other bowlers that Australia have been getting pummelled.

I would say Johnson has all the qualities to be the spearhead. He grabs crucial top order wickets, he has the stamina to bowl all day, he can stir the opposition up with some tough bouncers and he is usually tight enough to keep the pressure on. How often during Johnson's career has he been brought onto bowl and picked up a wicket straight away? He does this quite often, perfect spearhead quality.

Woodster

International Captain
I will take a fully fit and in-form Johnson as spearhead over two bowlers who have recovering injuries and are reaching the mid 30's in age.

It is a rather sweeping comment to say Australia cannot win in England with Johnson leading the attack. Mitch Johnson has lead the attack for much of the previous season, it was largely due to the lack of success of Stuart Clark and Brett Lee plus the other bowlers that Australia have been getting pummelled.

I would say Johnson has all the qualities to be the spearhead. He grabs crucial top order wickets, he has the stamina to bowl all day, he can stir the opposition up with some tough bouncers and he is usually tight enough to keep the pressure on. How often during Johnson's career has he been brought onto bowl and picked up a wicket straight away? He does this quite often, perfect spearhead quality.
I do think the lack of experience within the bowling unit would potentially be a problem. No-one is doubting Johnson has done well, and with Lee and Clark to compliment his style, I'm sure he would continue blossoming. Not sure he is yet the go to kind of bowler Ponting can wholly rely upon right now.

Clark and Lee's lack of success can surely be attributed in part to niggly injuries. Australia must be a stronger proposition with these two heading the attack and Johnson being used in short sharp bursts.

Warne also stated the importance of how Freddie bowls, and his statement was, if he is not at his best, England don't win.

Top_Cat

Completely AWTA. Johnson has been an absolute machine for the team since the start of the Indian tour. The amount of overs he's bowled as a stock bowler (so to speak), wickets he's continually picked up (Often the important ones at that) and runs he's contributed, especially when the team has been in dire situations, has been absolutely phenomenal.
AWTA. You and I have been Johnson biggest cheerleaders (hey, I gotta be a fanboy of one player, right?) and it's great to see him keep doing the job.

Just woke up and didn't see or hear anything about the day's play until just now. Fantastic effort by Aus to be in this position. A good session early tomorrow and they'll be in the box seat. Awesome by Marc North to get a ton too. But, of course, he's just a FTB.....

EDIT: Watching highlights, loving the combo of Hilf and Siddle.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I do think the lack of experience within the bowling unit would potentially be a problem. No-one is doubting Johnson has done well, and with Lee and Clark to compliment his style, I'm sure he would continue blossoming. Not sure he is yet the go to kind of bowler Ponting can wholly rely upon right now.

Clark and Lee's lack of success can surely be attributed in part to niggly injuries. Australia must be a stronger proposition with these two heading the attack and Johnson being used in short sharp bursts.
Sounds like Lee.

Seriously, we're seeing the emergence of a new fast bowling team and we have for a while, Hilf getting his go finally. Why fight it? Both Lee and Clark (moreso Lee) will probably have to fight their way back because the current three complement each other pretty well.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Woot, just checked details of yesterday's play and the score on Cricinfo.

North, Midge, woot!

Now to take 20 wickets...