• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

pup11

International Coach
Best thing to happen for Australian cricket in a while, there should have been no way he should have been in any contention at all for this series from a cricketing POV itself, and his off-field antics should have only made the decision easier for the selectors.

Now the flip-side of this is, McDonald is most likely to hold his place at no.6, which i am not too chuffed about either, he might be a steady bowler, but he is hardly a batsman who can bat in the top 6 of a test team.

pup11

International Coach
Reckon that having Hauritz at 9 was a luxury that allowed them to play McDonald at 6. Hauritz is good enough to bat at 8. However, if McGain takes Hauritz's place, then this may make it hard for the selectors to include McDonald.
Oh, that's what we think, but for the selectors McDonald is a pure breed all-rounder...

inbox24

International Debutant
What's Haddin's penalty?

Execution by firing squad would seem to be the most appropriate

I find it really amusing that those people who agree with this decision are also saying "oh ****, we've got no-one to replace him with!"
I disagree, we do have people to replace, David Hussey, Brad Hodge, and Phil Hughes even.

But the realistic chances of the selectors considering this are zero.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I disagree, we do have people to replace, David Hussey, Brad Hodge, and Phil Hughes even.

But the realistic chances of the selectors considering this are zero.
Hodge is the closest but wont get picked

Hodge is a much better player than his team-mate, Dussey

Hughes is an opener

So, in other words, we can pick someone but they simply wont be as good/suited in that position

inbox24

International Debutant
Ponting, Langer, Martyn, Symonds all played out of their natural positions early in their careers.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure about Hilfenhaus. Got a nice outswinger but he swings it from the hand and doesn't get the ball to move late like Steyn.

He should tour though. There isn't much else.
Hilfenhaus seemed to reverse the white ball in the ODIs at the death too. Moreover, he seems to have an action, release and pace conducive to reverse swing.

kingkallis

International Coach
CA has taken a really brave decision to leave Roy out!

Marcus North should get chance ahead of McDonald in SAF but yeah South African wickets will help the seamers more than Aussie wickets...it will be interesting to see who is picked for the tour.

howardj

International Coach
My spies have lead me to believe that this will be a 14 man squad as follows:

Ponting
Clarke
Hughes
Katich
Hussey
Jaques
Klinger
MacDonald
Haddin
McGain
MacGoffin
Siddle (if not fit, Bollinger)
Bracken
Johnson

howardj

International Coach
Sorry for having a sense of humour - will hop back into my box and go into serious mode.

Pretty good squad though.

Will leak more information as it comes to hand.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Klinger scores a mountain of runs on the world's flattest road to get in contention?

Selectors must have missed his average of 26 last year and 36 overall

Seems like the days of actually having to perfromed for a couple of years are long gone

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way he won't be picked now. Was respectable in Sydney, and since Symonds has failed horribly in state cricket and McDonald took 6-fa in the recent Shield match.
He was respectable. But he is clearly out of his depth in the Australian side & the selection of him as a potential all-rounder @ 6 is straight crap.

Him taking 6 wickets againts that weak South Aus looking batting-lineup, is more of an indication of how average they where rather than a solid signs of how he could be an effective bowler in SA.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Both rarely get their feet outside the line of the stumps, leave themselves room to free the arms and flay through the off. Hence they drive very well square of the wicket, but as a result hang their bat outside the line of their body and eyes. Martyn was similar, but he always had his eyes in line with the ball; these two do not.

I am a big fan of Hodge, and think that he should have played more cricket for Australia. However, I think that his chance has passed, and that we aren't to gain anything by playing him. We need to get the next generation of batsmen ready whilst we have the settled leadership of Ponting, Hussey and Clarke for them to bat around.
This current notion for the injection of youth for this crucial tour & the ashes worries me.

Although i will accept that Hughes is 100% likely to be picked. As i've mentioned before if Steyn & co expose him. He will quickly regress from prodigy to selectorial mistake.

For these tours regardless of players ages, Australia need to pick their best XI. Injection of youth could start next home summer.