• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
With defeatism like that they should be playing for Bangladesh.
Preaching to the choir here. It annoys the crap out of me too. Lost count of how many times I've suggested people not panic.
Tbf, it's (pretty much) always the younger or newer members who are like this. In fact, I feel a lot of overseas posters have this attitude rather than Australian posters.

Definately believe the more established Australian members on here have had a sensible outlook.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just the way he's batting because he's playing in his first Test. Can hit some long bombs to the onside when the mood takes him (unlike Ali Cook).

Woodster

International Captain
It's just the way he's batting because he's playing in his first Test. Can hit some long bombs to the onside when the mood takes him (unlike Ali Cook).
Do you mind!! Cook smashed yet another big six today, which means so far in Test cricket he's struck, er how many is it now, well with that one today, that makes....two sixes already in his Test career!! Look out spectators next time he feels in this belligerent mood!!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tbf, it's (pretty much) always the younger or newer members who are like this. In fact, I feel a lot of overseas posters have this attitude rather than Australian posters.

Definately believe the more established Australian members on here have had a sensible outlook.
Yeah I agree with this.

We always have some sort of recovery each innings of a match.

I think most Aussie supporters realize that we still have a genuinely great batting lineup capable of scoring runs, however, it's not easy to be confident that our bowling is going to deliver, which makes the decision to pick McDonald slightly puzzling, however in a way I do prefer him in the XI over Bollinger.

I only saw the first 10 minutes of North's innings then went to bed, but when he was on 0, he faced a good bouncer and dropped it down right near his toes, he just looked very assured and I thought he had a good chance of going well this innings, good on him.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Yes North looked fairly solid today, really enjoy watching Haddin bat too. The extra cover drive he hit for four today was absolute textbook.

Uppercut

Yeah I agree with this.

We always have some sort of recovery each innings of a match.

I think most Aussie supporters realize that we still have a genuinely great batting lineup capable of scoring runs, however, it's not easy to be confident that our bowling is going to deliver, which makes the decision to pick McDonald slightly puzzling, however in a way I do prefer him in the XI over Bollinger.

I only saw the first 10 minutes of North's innings then went to bed, but when he was on 0, he faced a good bouncer and dropped it down right near his toes, he just looked very assured and I thought he had a good chance of going well this innings, good on him.
I think the Australian attack can have an impact on a pitch like this for sure. Awkward pitches and conditions like these suit Australia because their batting is good enough to combat it (especially when they bat down to 16). Their bowlers can't do the same on flat decks like the ones served up in Australia.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
re: Hughes, will post what I did elsewhere.

"Hughes's shot was poor but you could see he was desperate for a single and knew his back foot off-side play was going to see him through. Ball got big on him but I can see where it came from.

I still reckon Katich should've told him no in regards to the first ball, he shouldn't have had to face Steyn first up on a dampish pitch for his first ball."
Don't get me wrong, not saying it wasn't a terrible shot and I'm not blaming Katich, but it's all true.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I thought it was slightly odd that Katich didn't face the first ball, but their isn't any hidding in Test Cricket so good on him for facing up.

I don't think he necessarily wanted a single, pretty sure he just wanted to feel bat onto ball and it would have went for 4 if he hit it where 99 times out of 100 he would have.

Redbacks

International Captain
Impressive knock by M Clarke, punishing nearly all bad balls!

The dismissal was a bit **** but playing in that agressive manner is what got us out of the early hole.

Clarke 4, Hussey 5 is gathering more momentum.

Uppercut

Ahh i think players get a little bit too much criticism after those dismissals. He got out trying to score runs off a bad ball.

EDIT: Hughes that is, not Clarke.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ahh i think players get a little bit too much criticism after those dismissals. He got out trying to score runs off a bad ball.

EDIT: Hughes that is, not Clarke.
Yeah, it's only because the dismissal is ugly. His only fault with that shot was trying to hit it down when he'd have tucked it over the slips in any other match. Just a touch nervous.

howardj

International Coach
Yep, cut Hughes some slack.

Think back to how you felt in your most important ever exam in Year 12 or University, or on your first date.

That's how Hughes felt going out to bat last night.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He'd have felt worse than that IMO. My First Grade debut I felt so sick the night before, had never felt that nervous in my life. I'd probably die from nerves the morning of my first test match.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Katto should've been facing. Not sure who's idea it was but maybe having 4-5 minutes off strike might've calmed Hughes down a tad. Poor shot but I don't blame him for it. As has been said before he'd have probably been ****ting bricks about it for a couple of days now.

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cut him some slack?He played a shot that only 3 year olds play to get out to Dale Steyn and caught behind I do cut him a little slack though