• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great day's test cricket all round. So good to watch with these two teams.

Saffies a little too short for mine, but the pitch did plenty (not "a bit" as the commentators say - why do they do that? If they were playing, I'm sure they'd be saying it was more than "a little bit" - they try for the uirky understatement thing to try an be cool, then someone hits a coverdrive and the commentary box looks like an overturned Mr Whippy truck).

Hoping we can get to 350 here, but I don't think 300 is bad if we bowl the right length. Watching Morkel jag the ball around immediately made my thoughts turn to Sid. Should be interesting.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Please can anyone tell me why Kallis only bowled 4 overs? Was he hurt?
Also, why was he wearing a black arm band?

Apologies if these facts have already been discussed. I missed a large part of the day's play.

Burgey

Yeah, Kallis had a slight back strain after his 1st spell. Came back on the field late in the day, so porbably not that serious. Didn't bowl again though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just watching the highlights. Young master Hughes's shot was a wee bit injudicious on debut, but Fat Gray's drop was a bit special. Makes Gayle's look like a sharp half chance he was unlucky with.

Disappointing crowd tho. Two best test sides in the world & all. Reckon you'd get more in if it was held up here.

& McDonald at 8?! Stack the batting, much? :p

ozone

First Class Debutant
Just watching the highlights. Young master Hughes's shot was a wee bit injudicious on debut, but Fat Gray's drop was a bit special. Makes Gayle's look like a sharp half chance he was unlucky with.
Also just watching the highlights now, and thats being generous to him IMO. Shocking shot to play in your first over of test cricket.

On a different note, having read through some of this thread, I can't believe the pesimism of some of the Australians on here. A side who are still ranked number 1 in the world, with the best batsman in the world, playing in a country where they don't lose very often. Yes there are a lot of young players playing, but that isn't always a terrible thing.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Ntini's ball to Ponting was pretty special, even if it was a bit of a loosener.

Watching North's innings again. My goodness I love him.

Top_Cat

Also just watching the highlights now, and thats being generous to him IMO. Shocking shot to play in your first over of test cricket.

On a different note, having read through some of this thread, I can't believe the pesimism of some of the Australians on here. A side who are still ranked number 1 in the world, with the best batsman in the world, playing in a country where they don't lose very often. Yes there are a lot of young players playing, but that isn't always a terrible thing.
It's understandable, even if annoying though. That same side just lost 2-1 at home, lost the following ODI series 4-1 and were lucky to draw the other one 2-2.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ntini's ball to Ponting was pretty special, even if it was a bit of a loosener.

Watching North's innings again. My goodness I love him.
Yeah, agree on both counts (well, maybe not love on a first date, but y'know...). North looks very well organised player & Ntini's ball to Punter was insane. Must've come back a foot and a half.

Burgey

Disappointing crowd tho. Two best test sides in the world & all. Reckon you'd get more in if it was held up here.

& McDonald at 8?! Stack the batting, much? :p
Hoping McDonald does well now he's there, but that selection blows me away. We have 3.5 front line bowlers vs a team we struggled to roll all summer. Hope he gets 6 for though.

Uppercut

It's understandable, even if annoying though. That same side just lost 2-1 at home, lost the following ODI series 4-1 and were lucky to draw the other one 2-2.
It's not so much the general lack of confidence- which the bookies share, incidentally. It's more the fact that every time a wicket falls a lot of the Aussies are like OMG ITS ALL OVER NOW as if there isn't still four and a half days and two matches of cricket left.

Top_Cat

It's not so much the general lack of confidence- which the bookies share, incidentally. It's more the fact that every time a wicket falls a lot of the Aussies are like OMG ITS ALL OVER NOW as if there isn't still four and a half days and two matches of cricket left.
Preaching to the choir here. It annoys the crap out of me too. Lost count of how many times I've suggested people not panic.