Page 61 of 380 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 915 of 5686

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

  1. #901
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Don't mind the selectors not playing McGain per se, given the hype was a bit over the top and it's a bit much to ask someone to come back and bowl at one of the best sides at home after a long injury, but for Hilfenhaus? Meh.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  2. #902
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Well, lack of funds but a stupid passion for handing it to the Aussies in a test match has dictated that I've just booked a seventeen hour each way bus journey to watch the first test.. Look out for me on the Saturday and Sunday on the grass banks.. I can't wait, so excited.. So very stupid though!
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 25-02-2009 at 06:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  3. #903
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,510
    Wish i was there. This series starts tomorrow, wow. It's really sneaked (snoke?) up on me after the one in Australia had me excited weeks beforehand.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  4. #904
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Wish i was there. This series starts tomorrow, wow. It's really sneaked (snoke?) up on me after the one in Australia had me excited weeks beforehand.
    Ive just bought tickets for the Saturday. 30 bucks.. Thats about 1 pound ninety, or five aussie dollars.. Incredible


  5. #905
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Wish i was there. This series starts tomorrow, wow. It's really sneaked (snoke?) up on me after the one in Australia had me excited weeks beforehand.
    Snuck.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  6. #906
    First Class Debutant IndGunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Wish i was there. This series starts tomorrow, wow. It's really sneaked (snoke?) up on me after the one in Australia had me excited weeks beforehand.
    snuck*

    bugger i should reeally read to end b4 posting aye?
    ~ THE ONLY CARD I NEED IS THE ACE OF SPADES ~

  7. #907
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    So true.

    Ridiculous that he was so underused in the India series.
    Not at all. Barely bowled for NSW this season or last and he was the captain last season so had plenty of opportunity to bowl himself, concentrating more on his batting. When he was getting a regular bowl for Aus, he was also taking wickets for NSW and getting plenty of the ball so to bowl him in recent series' with so few match overs under his belt would be stupid.

    As far as the Tests go, he's just not an option right now and that Rick Ponting hasn't bowled him very much for a while says a lot about where his bowling is at.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  8. #908
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Not at all. Barely bowled for NSW this season or last and he was the captain last season so had plenty of opportunity to bowl himself, concentrating more on his batting. When he was getting a regular bowl for Aus, he was also taking wickets for NSW and getting plenty of the ball so to bowl him in recent series' with so few match overs under his belt would be stupid.

    As far as the Tests go, he's just not an option right now and that Rick Ponting hasn't bowled him very much for a while says a lot about where his bowling is at.
    So Ponting's assessment is end of everything? DWTA.

    Katich underbowling himself in Shield Competition has merits, as he wants to prove himself worthy of test selection and batting is his specialisation. But the legend has his bowling merits, and is better used for say 10-12 overs, instead of Clarke doing the spinner's duties wholly. He's miles better than "Me too can roll me arms" Hussey.

  9. #909
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    It's hardly a Warne v Macgill argument this

  10. #910
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    It's hardly a Warne v Macgill argument this
    With Australia going for all-out pace attack and SA expected to put the boot, "Who will spin it for Australia?" actually becomes a valid question. As a Katfan, I'm all for seeing him take 6 for 9 tbh.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

  11. #911
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    So Ponting's assessment is end of everything? DWTA.
    For one, he's the captain so yeah actually, he's the one who decides who to bowl.

    For two, that's not what I said anyway. I said Ponting's not bowling him which could, for example, come about because between Katich and Ponting, they could have decided he's not to bowl for various reasons, one of which is the fact he's not getting any damn overs for NSW and is under-done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Katich underbowling himself in Shield Competition has merits, as he wants to prove himself worthy of test selection and batting is his specialisation. But the legend has his bowling merits, and is better used for say 10-12 overs, instead of Clarke doing the spinner's duties wholly. He's miles better than "Me too can roll me arms" Hussey.
    Hussey bowling seam-up is a better option right now than a left-arm wristie who has bowled about 10 overs in two seasons for his state and used to spray them when he was bowling double that per game years ago. If either of them get the ball, Aus are in real trouble anyway.

    And using him for any serious overs would probably impact on his batting and with the batting line-up Aus have for this series, even if he sneaks a wicket or two by some miracle, it won't have been worth it if he scores less runs.

  12. #912
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    For one, he's the captain so yeah actually, he's the one who decides who to bowl.

    For two, that's not what I said anyway. I said Ponting's not bowling him which could, for example, come about because between Katich and Ponting, they could have decided he's not to bowl for various reasons, one of which is the fact he's not getting any damn overs for NSW and is under-done.
    Sir, you are playing Captain Obvious with the bold line. But a discussion in a cricket forum involves analysis of "What ifs" and "Why nots" and not just treading the captain's toe. So your argument that "Ricky does it, so it must be right" is not acceptable for me.

    Hussey bowling seam-up is a better option right now than a left-arm wristie who has bowled about 10 overs in two seasons for his state and used to spray them when he was bowling double that per game years ago. If either of them get the ball, Aus are in real trouble anyway.

    And using him for any serious overs would probably impact on his batting and with the batting line-up Aus have for this series, even if he sneaks a wicket or two by some miracle, it won't have been worth it if he scores less runs.
    And Micheal Hussey is bowling 20 overs every Shield Game? I find Katich more dangerous than Hussey any day, and he showed it albeit briefly in the Delhi (?) game last year. The whole argument of he's hardly bowled in Shield Games is of really no merit as far as part time bowling in tests are concerned. Essentially because they are inherently parttime, and used as 1. Shock option 2. To relieve the others. So to have bowled a truckload in FC games is hardly the prerequisite. And Katich has proved he can more than roll his arm over previously.

  13. #913
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Not at all. Barely bowled for NSW this season or last and he was the captain last season so had plenty of opportunity to bowl himself, concentrating more on his batting. When he was getting a regular bowl for Aus, he was also taking wickets for NSW and getting plenty of the ball so to bowl him in recent series' with so few match overs under his belt would be stupid.

    As far as the Tests go, he's just not an option right now and that Rick Ponting hasn't bowled him very much for a while says a lot about where his bowling is at.
    The weird thing is on the WI tour, in the practice match he took 2/51 and 4/15 but didn't get a bowl for the rest of the series. When we were in trouble in the second Test and just couldn't make any breakthroughs and we had no options left, they still refused to give him a bowl. Even Hussey got a bowl before him!

  14. #914
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Brilliant stuff from the selectors, it has taken them a while to realise "bowling strenght" is the pace-attack. So this is not only good signs for future, but its is the most sensible option for this 1st test.

  15. #915
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Prediction: Australia to be max 5 down tomorrow for around 300.

    If SA bats (10% chance) to be around 270-4



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pakistan Cricket news/views
    By Fusion in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 781
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
  2. **Official** New Zealand in Australia
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6541
    Last Post: 16-02-2009, 04:49 PM
  3. The Top 9 ODI Nations
    By Athlai in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. England axe Test for South Africa tour
    By biased indian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 12:30 PM
  5. Can South Africa bounce back and win the ODI Series?
    By satheeshv37 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2009, 04:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •