• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, but it's a general rule that bowlers in England will have the better averages and batsmen in Australia will, so it's not really comparable. There aren't many Australian bowlers averaging 21 after 66 FC games who don't get a look in as far as I'm aware, you'd have to be a bloody superstar to do that over there.
Not sure Mark Davies is a good example, he's had a horrific run with injuries. Plus he is playing for England A at the moment and I don't think he's that far off having a chance if he stays injury free for a bit.

pup11

International Coach
I don't think there is any case of disputing the chance that North is now finally on the verge of getting, I feel he has pretty much earned it, his FC record speaks for itself, and I think he is a very similar player to Mike Hussey, and so I won't put past him to have a similar career like Mussey.

Of course he fails to do well, then likes of Dussey and Hodge should be the next best choices, Ferguson's name shouldn't even be in contention to play test cricket atm, after years of showing promise, he finally has started to find some consistency this season, so whereas he should be the ODI squad, he shouldn't be anywhere near the test squad.

Briony

International Debutant
I think that test cricket has passed Hodge by and David Hussey has not yet proven himself on the international limited overs stage yet so it's premature to think of him as a test contender. He hasn't had a stellar season.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Stuck 200 quid on the draw. Hope the forecast is right but if we get 4 days of play a result is nigh on.

Briony

International Debutant
If McDonald and North do play and the former comes in at #8, we have batting depth with Johnson at #9. This would be an edge over the saffer tail as nobody below Boucher can really bat despite the Steyn heroics of Melbourne and some Steyn and Ntini resistance in Sydney. Yet they used to be renowned for their feisty tails.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah very cool. Great gesture by Katich as well (hope he has a good series) but in this day and age it shouldn't be going on, CSA should be providing adequate kit. It is not like they haven't got the money...
I'd rather we used our surplus money on paying those cricketers who are earning more money in the UK a better wage..

pup11

International Coach
If McDonald and North do play and the former comes in at #8, we have batting depth with Johnson at #9. This would be an edge over the saffer tail as nobody below Boucher can really bat despite the Steyn heroics of Melbourne and some Steyn and Ntini resistance in Sydney. Yet they used to be renowned for their feisty tails.
There is no way both North and Ronnie McDonald should play in the same XI, because that would mean, either McGain or one of the quicks would have to miss out, now that would be pretty atrocious.

Australia need genuine bowling options to bowl South Africa out twice, and neither McDonald nor North' bowling is good enough, for them to considered or used as front-line wicket taking options.

Woodster

International Captain
Really looking forward to this! Booked a couple of days off work to enjoy. Don't tell me the weather is forecasted to play a major part ?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Waugh, Hayden, Martyn and Langer were probably all picked too early.
The only reason that they spent so long out of the side (re: Hayden, Langer and Martyn) was because of the availability of replacements. If they were around now, they'd be in the side and have more opportunities to fail, because there isn't the calibre of competitors that there was in the early to mid 90s.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only reason that they spent so long out of the side (re: Hayden, Langer and Martyn) was because of the availability of replacements. If they were around now, they'd be in the side and have more opportunities to fail, because there isn't the calibre of competitors that there was in the early to mid 90s.
Yep, particularly Martyn and Haydos. Not to mention Langer was initially dropped far too early I reckon. Basically he played his first Test in Adelaide and batted like a legend, failed in Perth when he was shoved up to open after they dropped Taylor and didn't do so well in NZ so was dropped. That's it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah the mid-late 90s. There was no better time for Australian cricket. We were unstoppable internationally and Queensland were domestically.

Good times.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah the mid-late 90s. There was no better time for Australian cricket. We were unstoppable internationally and Queensland were domestically.

Good times.
Aside from the one Shield SA won after pushing QLD to the absolute limit the previous year.

*cough*

Hey, it's not much but considering the subsequent misery, have to take what we can get...... (!).