Page 4 of 380 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 5686

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

  1. #46
    International Captain Hoggy31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    alanis morrissette
    Posts
    6,177
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I can confirm it will be a 14 man squad which will be picked on Wednesday.

    Mine would be:

    Hughes
    Katich
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    North
    Jaques

    Haddin

    Hauritz
    McGain

    Johnson
    Bracken
    Siddle (if fit, otherwise Bollinger)
    Hilfenhaus
    14? That's pretty light, I assume they're not taking a 2nd keeper then.

  2. #47
    State Regular jondavluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Westside of that big light blub thingy
    Posts
    943
    My guess for the 15 would be:

    Katich
    Jaques
    Hughes
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Haddin
    Johnson
    Hauritz
    Siddle
    Hilfenhaus
    Bollinger
    Symonds
    McDonald
    McGain

    I Imagine that Hughes will get the chance but I feel sorry for Jaques hasn't really done nothing wrong (also love to watch the bat).Though I wouldn't be surprised if Jaques gets it.
    Symonds I think should play the the practice match maybe .If he fails then I would suggest someone else gets his spot until gets some form.As for Bowling I reckon It will be the same as the Sydney test except maybe Hilfenhaus might get in over Bollinger.


    South Africa I reckon they should drop Neil since he is useless as far as I'm concerned and put prince back in.I reckon Amla would be a fine replacement.
    Last edited by jondavluc; 31-01-2009 at 01:46 AM.

  3. #48
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy31 View Post
    14? That's pretty light, I assume they're not taking a 2nd keeper then.
    Phillip Hughes can keep, the guy can do anything.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

  4. #49
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Haddin just hasn't shown the consistency to be bat in the top 6 though
    In the last 2 series, his innings by innings scores are:

    6
    19
    169

    46
    94
    40
    10
    38

    He averaged 65 against the Kiwis and 45(!!) against the South Africans

    and those innings by innings scores actually show some consistency as he's grown into the role as a test batsman.

    Over the last 3-4 seasons, he's averaged 50+ for NSW batting at 4/5. And he's a more than capable batsman at the top level - since the slow start to his career, he's starting to show the form that makes him a top-level first class batsman!

    Having said that - Noffke at 7 and Johnson at 8 doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...

    Hope McGain gets a bag of wickets for Vic in this game so that we at least have a slow bowling attacking option that might give us some variation!


  5. #50
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Haddin bats at six in FC for NSW, but 4/5 in ODs.

  6. #51
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    These are seriously awesome selection "headaches" for South Africa to have. They've got some nice bench strength now.
    Batting they seem to be OK, but not so sure about bowling let's say Steyn went down it would completley transform the side.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  7. #52
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,552
    Carseldine the man for Australia at 6!

  8. #53
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Batting they seem to be OK, but not so sure about bowling let's say Steyn went down it would completley transform the side.
    Andre Nel for mine is still a class above most fringe bowlers around the world. I don't think he has been forgotten about it just their main objective is to find a long term replacement for Ntini. If the series was 1-1 and Steyn or one of seamers were out he would come in for mine.

    With the performances of Botha and the potential of Tahir they could play two spinners. Add in Abie Morkel as an experienced seamer now. They got good depth in bowling as well. No doubt losing your best bowler going to hurt, but they have plenty of decent options imo.

    It the opening batsmen where they lack depth. Though even there Alma and Gibbs are very good.

  9. #54
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Andre Nel for mine is still a class above most fringe bowlers around the world. I don't think he has been forgotten about it just their main objective is to find a long term replacement for Ntini. If the series was 1-1 and Steyn or one of seamers were out he would come in for mine.

    With the performances of Botha and the potential of Tahir they could play two spinners. Add in Abie Morkel as an experienced seamer now. They got good depth in bowling as well. No doubt losing your best bowler going to hurt, but they have plenty of decent options imo.

    It the opening batsmen where they lack depth. Though even there Alma and Gibbs are very good.
    Right, they don't look horrible with a Nel-Ntini-Morkel-Harris bowling attack but they don't look best in the world either, anymore.

  10. #55
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Luke Pomersbach is the man i am backing to break into the Aussie test middle order in an year or two' time, he is very consistent for an aggressive bastman and though he has had a pretty shoddy OD season, he still is going great guns in FC cricket.

    Would be a very good guy to bat at no.6, all he needs to do though is work on his batting against spin.

  11. #56
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,269
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    he still is going great guns in FC cricket.
    Wouldn't really call his FC season "great guns". Average at best.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  12. #57
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Right, they don't look horrible with a Nel-Ntini-Morkel-Harris bowling attack but they don't look best in the world either, anymore.
    If I told you that at the start of season (or even just after JP's Perth innings) that SA were going in with ODI batting line up of Gibbs-Alma-Kallis-De Villiars-Dummy-McKensie-Boucher-A.Morkel. Would you still think they would have the best batting line up in the world or even just 2nd.

    Smith in theory should have made as much difference as potentially Steyn being out. But he didn't. No doubt they might not be the best bowling attack without Steyn, but they can still take 20 wickets withput expectional performances. That bowling attack for mine will still be better then Australia and India.

  13. #58
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    As much as it is great to have a go at Symonds. He still is the best option at No 6 outside Hodge and Watson. Hussey and North are fast becoming overrated and a case of anyone but Symonds, regardless how inconsistent they might be. Hussey improved his consistency in the last couple seasons, but North still has a bit more do on that front for mine.

  14. #59
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,431
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I don't think Bracken has done his test selection any favours in this ODI series. Yes, he's been economical, but the Saffas have seen him off for one wicket in four games at 93. It doesn't really show any penetration.
    I think this is empty logic. You either take his ODI career at face value, in which case he should be in the Test team as he is one of the top ODI bowlers, or you don't, in which case, the form in this series has been irrelevant.

  15. #60
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    If I told you that at the start of season (or even just after JP's Perth innings) that SA were going in with ODI batting line up of Gibbs-Alma-Kallis-De Villiars-Dummy-McKensie-Boucher-A.Morkel. Would you still think they would have the best batting line up in the world or even just 2nd.

    Smith in theory should have made as much difference as potentially Steyn being out. But he didn't. No doubt they might not be the best bowling attack without Steyn, but they can still take 20 wickets withput expectional performances. That bowling attack for mine will still be better then Australia and India.
    Well for one that's one of the poorer of the better ODI batting lineups in the world and if they maintained that line-up they'll start losing a lot more (obviously with Smith coming back this isn't likely to happen). The fact that won the series without Smith was great, but it's not something that'd continue. But we're talking about Tests anyways. Without Steyn their Test bowling doesn't look all that flash and there's no way it's better than a full strength Australian lineup and definitely not better than India's. Steyn transforms their Test side from a good one to an superb one, just like Smith does the same for their ODI side.

Page 4 of 380 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pakistan Cricket news/views
    By Fusion in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 777
    Last Post: 21-01-2014, 02:01 AM
  2. **Official** New Zealand in Australia
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6541
    Last Post: 16-02-2009, 04:49 PM
  3. The Top 9 ODI Nations
    By Athlai in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 04:39 PM
  4. England axe Test for South Africa tour
    By biased indian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 12:30 PM
  5. Can South Africa bounce back and win the ODI Series?
    By satheeshv37 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2009, 04:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •