• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Sorry, but they're a bunch of no-names to everyone who doesn't have a special interest in SA cricket. Same way that Aus fans will claim the Lilac Hill XI that dick England every four years aren't no-names because they've heard of them... same way we'll claim England Lions aren't no-names.

If we can't put firstnames to surnames as genuine, serious cricket fans then they're no names.
A thousand times this.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Why would it make anyone feel better?
Because I'm trying to give where credit is due. The opposition is not all that dire. It's an opposition mainly composed of guys from the Titans which is the best team in SA. If Tahir can barely get a game this season and Roela can barely a first-class game (averages 19 in List A), it shows how strong the team is. They've won almost every trophy for the last 2 years.

And by your logic, half of the current Aus. team playing are a bunch of no names (McGain, North, McDonald, Hughes, Bollinger have limited or no international experience).

pasag

RTDAS
Because I'm trying to give where credit is due. The opposition is not all that dire. It's an opposition mainly composed of guys from the Titans which is the best team in SA. If Tahir can barely get a game this season and Roela can barely a first-class game (averages 19 in List A), it shows how strong the team is. They've won almost every trophy for the last 2 years.

And by your logic, half of the current Aus. team playing are a bunch of no names (McGain, North, McDonald, Hughes, Bollinger have limited or no international experience).
But why would an Australian fan commenting on the lack of names in the team make him feel better? It's illogical as it would make them feel worse. It's one thing getting blasted by a full strength SA side, it's another thing getting blasted by their 2nd/3rd XI whatever.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
LOL, I can already see this series thread will have some very rough & illogical debates in the coming months.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
But why would an Australian fan commenting on the lack of names in the team make him feel better? It's illogical as it would make them feel worse. It's one thing getting blasted by a full strength SA side, it's another thing getting blasted by their 2nd/3rd XI whatever.
Because I'm not the one trying to dismiss the quality of a side and adopt a pessimistic approach to the game. Why call them no names?

Try and do a little research on these players and you'll find out, most of them are in line of playing or have played for SA at some point of their career.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Because I'm not the one trying to dismiss the quality of a side and adopt a pessimistic approach to the game. Why call them no names?

Try and do a little research on these players and you'll find out, most of them are in line of playing or have played for SA at some point of their career.
Don't really see the point you're trying to make aside from annoyingly nitpicking a word. The fact is they're a second/third XI side that have owned Australia's first XI, no one said they can't play or tried to denigrate them, however some Australians here are obviously concerned that if this attack gets slaughtered against this side, then we can only shudder to think what will happen when facing the best 11. And as Neil said, aside from one or two of them, they are relatively unheard of to those who don't take a special interest in the SA domestic scene. I suggest you stop being so sensitive or this thread will be quite unbearable throughout the series.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Don't really see the point you're trying to make aside from annoyingly nitpicking a word.
That's ultimately what this issue was about. Read the comments by Langeveldt and Neil.

The fact is they're a second/third XI side that have owned Australia's first XI, no one said they can't play or tried to denigrate them, however some Australians here are obviously concerned that if this attack gets slaughtered against this side, then we can only shudder to think what will happen when facing the best 11. And as Neil said, aside from one or two of them, they are relatively unheard of to those who don't take an interest in the SA domestic scene.
Don't think the current SA squad is the best squad in the country and I'm sure that goes for all countries. I'm sure if you interchange some players from this team, they could do a fine job for their country, possibly a better job. The same can be said about this Australia squad or previous squads. There's ultimately no 2nd/3rd team players. E.g. Ashwell Prince, he's not 2nd team quality.

I suggest you stop being so sensitive or this thread will be quite unbearable throughout the series.
I don't debate that often so that won't be a problem.

HMas

U19 12th Man
SA ODI team

Smith
Gibbs
Hamla
Kallis
Duminy
deVilliers (WK)
A Morkel
Botha
M Morkel
Steyn
Ntini/Tsotsobe

pasag

RTDAS
That's ultimately what this issue was about. Read the comments by Langeveldt and Neil.
But I was the first to bring it up so it exists in the context of my initial post. Langers replied to my post as if calling them no-names denigrates them, however as I've said the point is - how are our first XI going to compete with SA's first XI when we've been slaughtered by their lesser players which leads me onto...

Don't think the current SA squad is the best squad in the country and I'm sure that goes for all countries. I'm sure if you interchange some players from this team, they could do a fine job for their country, possibly a better job. The same can be said about this Australia squad or previous squads. There's ultimately no 2nd/3rd team players. E.g. Ashwell Prince, he's not 2nd team quality.
Which of Snijman, Khan, Petersen, van Jaarsveld, Bodi & Wiese are better or as good than McKenzie, Smith, Amla, de Villiers, Duminy, Prince, Kallis and Boucher?

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
But I was the first to bring it up so it exists in the context of my initial post. Langers replied to my post as if calling them no-names denigrates them, however as I've said the point is - how are our first XI going to compete with SA's first XI when we've been slaughtered by their lesser players which leads me onto...

Which of Snijman, Khan, Petersen, van Jaarsveld, Bodi & Wiese are better or as good than McKenzie, Smith, Amla, de Villiers, Duminy, Prince, Kallis and Boucher?
To be fair, Prince is not in the final XI.

Kuhn has already done more with bat against the Aussies than Boucher has over his entire career.

Tahir has more potential as a spinner compared to Harris. Roelof could become a good spinning arounder and can add batting to the SA long tail.

MacKenzie hasn't fired so there's questions there. Bodi, Van Jaarsveld and Virus are possible players that could take his spot (or be in the squad) as competent players.

Craig Alexander is a fine bowler. Hits 145+ and swings the ball. There are still question marks around M Morkel and his consistency. Ntini has lost pace too.

These are all hypothetical scenarios but it's not to say it's not possible if they've been given the chance.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tahir has more potential as a spinner compared to Harris. Roelof could become a good spinning arounder and can add batting to the SA long tail.
Tbf, 29 is far too old to be talking about potential. He's better than Harris, but he needs to make the step up at least as well as Harris did.

kingkallis

International Coach
To be fair, Prince is not in the final XI.

Kuhn has already done more with bat against the Aussies than Boucher has over his entire career.

MacKenzie hasn't fired so there's questions there. Bodi, Van Jaarsveld and Virus are possible players that could take his spot (or be in the squad) as competent players.

Craig Alexander is a fine bowler. Hits 145+ and swings the ball. There are still question marks around M Morkel and his consistency. Ntini has lost pace too.

These are all hypothetical scenarios but it's not to say it's not possible if they've been given the chance.
What a waste! I started reading old posts and I thaught you had a point but it seems you have lost the plot! Tahir is talented but he has to prove his potential @ international level and Paul Harris did a fine job in both England and Australia series!

Kuhn seems like a better batsman but he is no match to Boucher's glove work. Period!

Alexander hits 145+, let me tell you bruv, Tait hits 150+ atleast twice or thrice an over yet Hilfenhaus or Siddle is better than him!

Dont get senti mate!

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
What a waste! I started reading old posts and I thaught you had a point but it seems you have lost the plot! Tahir is talented but he has to prove his potential @ international level and Paul Harris did a fine job in both England and Australia series!

Kuhn seems like a better batsman but he is no match to Boucher's glove work. Period!

Alexander hits 145+, let me tell you bruv, Tait hits 150+ atleast twice or thrice an over yet Hilfenhaus or Siddle is better than him!

Dont get senti mate!
You're missing the point. I haven't said that one player is better than the other. These players have the potential to do well at international level maybe do better some of the current XI. That doesn't mean they will be better. We've seen numerous SA players who we thought would do well, fail. E.g. Dippenaar, M van Jaarsveld.

Last edited: