• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Dropping Mussey would be stupid, Dussey on the other hand should make room for Watson or Symonds. Not sure about Bracken, looked really, really out of sorts in SA, I mean I saw him bowl a few beamers! See how he goes in the IPL (should get some confidence back), don't think Clark should be in the one day side. I'd like to see Johnson and Lee opening the ODI attack, maybe Bracken as first change. Is there no one in Australia who can do what Hopes does but better? Carseldine perhaps? The biggest problem though IMO is definitely the spinner, Hauritz won't cut it and really you need 2 spinning options these days. Australia just don't have a decent mix of economy and wicket taking in the middle overs right now. What's Siddle like in limited overs?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure about Bracken, looked really, really out of sorts in SA, I mean I saw him bowl a few beamers! See how he goes in the IPL (should get some confidence back)
No issue with Bracken. His only poor ODI series since he re-established himself in the ODI set-up in the super series. He looked almost back to himself during the 5th ODI. Even the best can have an off-time.

Overall its too early to saw, whether its a one series hiccup or the start of a slide for him.

Is there no one in Australia who can do what Hopes does but better? Carseldine perhaps?
Whats wrong with Hopes role in the team?

The biggest problem though IMO is definitely the spinner, Hauritz won't cut it and really you need 2 spinning options these days. Australia just don't have a decent mix of economy and wicket taking in the middle overs right now. What's Siddle like in limited overs?
Disagree. Yea the spinner spot is a problem, but in the best Australian ODI XI. A spinner is totally needed IMO:

Marsh
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
M Hussey
Watson
Hopes
Johnson
Lee
Bracken

Tait, Hauritz, Ferguson/D Hussey, Siddle knocking on the door.

But Hauritz bowled well in this ODI series, so once the pace battery is strong again. He would be very useful in a containing role. I could see him getting alot of cheap ODI wickets.

Overall once the injury woes eases, since Australia haven't fielded anything close to their best ODI team since the WI tour in 2008. Its back to buisness in ODI domination.

SA ODI side at full-strenght has nun on Australia to bloodclathhhh, look out fa the ODI side in the 20/20 WC & down in India later this year...

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Disagree. Yea the spinner spot is a problem, but in the best Australian ODI XI. A spinner is totally needed IMO:

Marsh
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
M Hussey
Watson
Hopes
Johnson
Lee
Bracken

Tait, Hauritz, Ferguson/D Hussey, Siddle knocking on the door.

But Hauritz bowled well in this ODI series, so once the pace battery is strong again. He would be very useful in a containing role. I could see him getting alot of cheap ODI wickets.

Overall once the injury woes eases, since Australia haven't fielded anything close to their best ODI team since the WI tour in 2008. Its back to buisness in ODI domination.

SA ODI side at full-strenght has nun on Australia to bloodclathhhh, look out fa the ODI side in the 20/20 WC & down in India later this year...
Siddle should be way ahead of Hopes if Hopes if playing at 8.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
And with that we end one of the most hard fought and well matched summers of cricket that I've been lucky enough to witness. It really has been a fantastic summer of cricket, moreso in the tests than the ODI games.
And it got us all the way to April :-O

Nah but so agree. Two great sides going hammer and tongs over 6 tests. Had pretty much everything any cricket fan could want.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And it got us all the way to April :-O

Nah but so agree. Two great sides going hammer and tongs over 6 tests. Had pretty much everything any cricket fan could want.
It even had a ridiculously awesome spell of fast bowling at the WACA. Haven't seen that in years.