• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Briony

International Debutant
Reckon Boucher and Ntini were nursing sore heads today, according to a friend who saw them brunching..
I think Albertus probably drinks, he mentioned something about beer after win a MOTM award in Australia. And AB looks the partying type, ditto Vaughn Van Jaarsveld and Mr. Erratic.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
60 days on tour

Just 20 odd days of international cricket

It's not so much the amount of cricket played, but the time players are away from home that is obscene

I really think it's something which must be looked at
But then there are complaints about too much cricket in a short time, and not enough recovery...

howardj

International Coach
But then there are complaints about too much cricket in a short time, and not enough recovery...
Yes, yes.

But it's pretty clear that at least the ODIs/Pro 20s can be played within a period of about 10 days, rather than the current nearly three weeks. The Aussies just look jack of it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yes, yes.

But it's pretty clear that at least the ODIs/Pro 20s can be played within a period of about 10 days, rather than the current nearly three weeks. The Aussies just look jack of it.
Haha, yeah. Can't doubt that. Assuming that there is a gap between one-dayers so that TV ratings and crowds can be maximised on the weekends? I guess we did the same thing in Australia. Seems a bit silly that the ODIs/Twenty20s last almost the same period of time as a 3 Test series.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
60 days on tour

Just 20 odd days of international cricket

It's not so much the amount of cricket played, but the time players are away from home that is obscene

I really think it's something which must be looked at
Presumably they make a lot more money playing and televising matches at the weekends though. If they want the $$ they have to put up with the tour.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Albertus probably drinks, he mentioned something about beer after win a MOTM award in Australia. And AB looks the partying type, ditto Vaughn Van Jaarsveld and Mr. Erratic.
Haha, I'm not sure if De Villiers drinks anything besides communion wine. He's a hardcore christian.

Briony

International Debutant
Not sure about Albie, but M Morkel looks like a mummy's boy.

Albertus looks serious but someone not to be messed with but the big blond looks on the verge of tears half the time. When all the Saffa players were celebrating their series win the other day, even the reserves in the dressingroom, he was looking rather glum as if he was sulking at being on the sidelines again.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I know Parnell from my old local bar in PE.. Needless to say, an international cricketer should be carrying around some better arm candy
Lol, usually the SA players do pretty well in that department, tell him to sort himself out.

Yeah AB's well known for being a good christian boy, now I think about it, the SA lads probably are quite a dissappointingly sober bunch these days. What they need is a Symonds to come round after every match.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
AB and the Morne brothers are Afrikaners from the Transvaal, so them being ‘devout’ Christians (at one time or another) is a given. Theology (Calvinist or otherwise) and sport are two central tenets of Afrikaner culture.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Unsurprisingly, there is no Botha tomorrow but Wayne Parnell has been moved aside for Makhaya Ntini. Morne Morkel comes in for the vice-captain.

Shame about Parnell. Thought he bowled very well at Newlands even when he went wicketless and though he struggled at PE, he wasn’t the only seamer who received tap and looked impotent. No place for either Amla or VB van Jaarsveld as well.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Hmmm with no Botha the contest could be a lot more interesting, IMO it was the combination of 2 spinners in tandem that's won the series for SA. In theory he's allowed to play tomorrow right?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmmm with no Botha the contest could be a lot more interesting, IMO it was the combination of 2 spinners in tandem that's won the series for SA. In theory he's allowed to play tomorrow right?
This.

Well, at least it's been one of the factors. Botha was very good for SA out here as well. Put the brakes on in every game.

Briony

International Debutant
I think it's wise for them to rest Parnell as he's only young and you don't want to put too much stress on his body or destroy his confidence when he goes for runs. I'm surprised they're playing Ntini, he's been carp in ODIs for a long time now. No harm in playing Mr Erratic though. AB lists his favourite book as the bible and he said when he received his MOTM award after the Perth test match that he used the bible to inspire him in the record chase. He then started quoting actual passages he was reading the night before the innings. He also said that the Lord Jesus Christ is the most important thing in his life; more important even than family. He's one very religious person.