• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

inbox24

International Debutant
Time to bring back the regulars already, get some look in before Dubai:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Hussey
Symonds
Hussey
Ferguson
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark/Hilfenhaus

Resting Bracken, and Clarke, and permanently resting Marsh and Hauritz.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
How injured is Siddle? It's unusual to 'rest' someone for two/three months, especially from the shorter form of the game.
Think that the foot is still a big issue. It's a "hotspot", a developing stress fracture. Rest is the best thing for it, and I'd imagine that they'd pretty much just be using him for Tests for the time being, and trying to give him the smallest workload possible in-between; hoping that it heals itself during that resting time.

Redbacks

International Captain
From watching FC games to Test matches it appears that siddle bowled +10km/h when playing for Australia. This extra effort is great, but perhaps has lead to his injury as his body adjusts to the greater demands he puts in now. (or did I just watch a ODD game where he bowled a bit slower at 130-5 km/h?)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know what the numbers say but just watching him, he's clearly not in peak form. Not suggesting he be dropped yet, though.
He looks far better than Ponting or Clarke to me. Faaaaar better. He's got a few really dodgy decisions of late.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
From watching FC games to Test matches it appears that siddle bowled +10km/h when playing for Australia. This extra effort is great, but perhaps has lead to his injury as his body adjusts to the greater demands he puts in now. (or did I just watch a ODD game where he bowled a bit slower at 130-5 km/h?)
Siddle's injury problems have been around for far longer than since his test career began. Hopefully he can sort all the niggles out, he has good inspiration inside the test team in Lee and Johnson, both made great comebacks from early injury problems.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Siddle's injury problems have been around for far longer than since his test career began. Hopefully he can sort all the niggles out, he has good inspiration inside the test team in Lee and Johnson, both made great comebacks from early injury problems.
Australia need Siddle to go on as that 'all day' bowler, for this to happen he needs to put these injuries behind him, easier said than done though.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Roelof should be given the keys to Port Elizabeth.. Apparently all the SA players were out mending their hangovers this morning.. They deserve it too.. Lets crush them 4-1

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Roelof should be given the keys to Port Elizabeth.. Apparently all the SA players were out mending their hangovers this morning.. They deserve it too.. Lets crush them 4-1
Lol, it's looking pretty likely, can't see Australia bouncing back here unless they bat first and post a really imposing total, which in turn is unlikely due to their struggles against the spinners.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lol, it's looking pretty likely, can't see Australia bouncing back here unless they bat first and post a really imposing total, which in turn is unlikely due to their struggles against the spinners.
I was struck by Ponting's mediocrity, mind you he does seem to struggle against off spin bowling.. What is the status on Andrew Symonds? Guy likes a fish, and now they can't beat South Africa, give him a break ffs..

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I was struck by Ponting's mediocrity, mind you he does seem to struggle against off spin bowling.. What is the status on Andrew Symonds? Guy likes a fish, and now they can't beat South Africa, give him a break ffs..
I think Ponting has faded pretty considerably over the last 18 months. In that last game, bar the over he got out against Steyn, he looked a shadow of his former self. The confidence seems to have deserted him a little bit and his footwork has noticeably slowed.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Really? I thought apart from Amla and maybe Ntini they were all up for 2 or 20 pints?
Yeah. Neil Manthorp wrote an article a few months back saying apart from Captain Smith, Bouch, Kallis, Neil Mac and Harro, not many of the squad drink or enjoy a drink and Gibbs of course can’t drink anymore if he wants to continue to play for South Africa. It surprised the Australians, as when South Africa won the test/odi series there, the celebrations were fairly mute and sedate. Though, van der Merwe looks like the sort of guy who enjoys a drink.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ponting has faded pretty considerably over the last 18 months. In that last game, bar the over he got out against Steyn, he looked a shadow of his former self. The confidence seems to have deserted him a little bit and his footwork has noticeably slowed.
The confidence issue maybe simply due to what is coming after him.

howardj

International Coach
60 days on tour

Just 20 odd days of international cricket

It's not so much the amount of cricket played, but the time players are away from home that is obscene

I really think it's something which must be looked at

Inferiority

Banned
60 days on tour

Just 20 odd days of international cricket

It's not so much the amount of cricket played, but the time players are away from home that is obsceneI really think it's something which must be looked at
Oh harden up, they are well paid professional cricketers. There are high school kids that go on exchange programs for longer.