• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Given the chronic lack of spin resources in Australia shouldn't they be getting Cam White to really crack on with his spin? They surely can't expect to win the next WC with Hauritz and Dussey?
I would be more worried that Australia was attempting to win a World Cup with Cameron White as the leading spin bowler. This idea that Cameron White will improve is nonexistent, his accuracy is terrible, he can't turn the ball and his action is not conducive to consistent leg spin bowling. I think Cam White has been the best judge of his own ability, by focusing more on his batting.

Cameron White has always been an appalling limited over’s bowler, even during his peak periods as a leg spinner some five years back.

Stick with Nathan Hauritz, he might not be a flashy exciting bowler. But he has been very consistent in domestic cricket for years now; he is the only bowler in Australia who won't be shown up to be totally inept.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Pretty strange that he is likely to be favoured over Laughlin, who is going to the UAE but Harwood, a 35 year old isn’t and of course is likely to not play in the next WC. You might as well summon back House from Aus, as at least his touring the UAE and apart of Australia’s future plans. They also got Cam White in the squad but he can’t play because he isn’t apart of the squad for the Pakistan series. It doesn’t make much sense. Stuart Clark is even a doubt for the game on Friday…
Harwood was far and away the best OD bowler in Aus this year.

Stapel

International Regular
Good move by the selectors to bring Stuart Clark back, not sure how much of a difference he will make. Really improved as a limited overs bowler over the previous year before his injuries.

Can still see Gibbs or AB taking him over mid-wicket a number of times.
It appears Clark was flown in to practice bench sitting....

Briony

International Debutant
SA has been sent in by Ricky Ponting.

The Proteas will be looking to change their poor record at the Port Elizabeth venue.

pasag

RTDAS
Bringing Clark in and not playing him would be the stupidist thing this Australian side have done in a long list of recent extreme stupidities, given that he is now going to miss valuable matches in county cricket.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
SA looking o construct their innings in a similar fashion to last match. This surface is a bit better for batting though.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I am disenchanted with the Australian ODI team. We have top-order batsmen who don't score enough runs, spearheads who can't strike or even restrict the flow of runs (referring specifically to Nathan Bracken) and a relative inability to restrict SA's batsmen during the middle overs. In the end, I wonder whether the team needs to be altered a fair amount ala the Test team - or am I jumping the gun?

pasag

RTDAS
I am disenchanted with the Australian ODI team. We have top-order batsmen who don't score enough runs, spearheads who can't strike or even restrict the flow of runs (referring specifically to Nathan Bracken) and a relative inability to restrict SA's batsmen during the middle overs. In the end, I wonder whether the team needs to be altered a fair amount ala the Test team - or am I jumping the gun?
Injuries are playing a part, but nonetheless this isn't good enough and players that aren't performing should be sitting on the sidelines. It's still a while till the world cup but the listlessness and lack of direction of this side is indeed very worrying.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The thing that concerns me is that it is just formulaic cricket that is being played. There's nothing different being tried.

Also, I think that what we've also seen is how Tait really does need to be played; our attack is far too same-ish without him. I'm sure that South Africa would much rather not face him, than have him over there. It's further exacerbated if Lee is missing, or isn't bowling heat.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Injuries are playing a part, but nonetheless this isn't good enough and players that aren't performing should be sitting on the sidelines. It's still a while till the world cup but the listlessness and lack of direction of this side is indeed very worrying.
Yes, it is. There are too many players either resembling 'millionaires' on the field, or just flat out passengers. The balance of the side is all wrong and we have players who have contributed scarcely more than a hologram would. Ponting's captaincy also appears to have entered a lull, although his poor batting form doesn't help. To make things worse, Clarke is in the same boat and is being played at the wrong position...and yes, it doesn't help when some key ODI players spend too much time on the physio's bench.

pasag

RTDAS
Minor comeback, if we bowl excellently in the last five overs there'll be some chance at chasing though I don't think we have many successful 270+ chases in the past few years (haven't had much opportunity, batting first all time time tbf).

pasag

RTDAS
Yes, it is. There are too many players either resembling 'millionaires' on the field, or just flat out passengers. The balance of the side is all wrong and we have players who have contributed scarcely more than a hologram would. Ponting's captaincy also appears to have entered a lull, although his poor batting form doesn't help. To make things worse, Clarke is in the same boat and is being played at the wrong position...and yes, it doesn't help when some key ODI players spend too much time on the physio's bench.
Yeah, Clarke has to be the first to go and Ponting should be on notice. The side's beginning to resemble the Indian one from a few years back, heaps of big names but don't really win anything.