Page 270 of 380 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280320370 ... LastLast
Results 4,036 to 4,050 of 5686

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    But didn't Parnell and Albertus have to bowl on a really flat pitch? According to Prince it was almost impossible to get out if you applied yourself. Judging from the scores in the de Wet match, the pitch was a lot more bowler-friendly. It seems the Cape Town pitch will be reasonably good for batting too so it may help the bowlers who've just had to toil on a road more.
    Yeah but Parnell and Albie have also bowled on other surfaces this year and their performances donít suggest they should be playing test cricket especially in the case of Albie as a third seamer in a struggling bowling attack. de Wet has only just returned from serious injury but from the reports his pace is back (bowled 140kph+ in the 20/20) and his got the wickets whilst Alexander is the leading wicket-taker domestically. His very raw but not as raw as Parnell and he can swing it back into the left-handers at real pace.

As you say the Cape wicket should be good for batting but it does assist the spinners, Harris (and JP) should get some nice drift and turn from days 3 onwards.

Interesting to see if Aus go for the attacking spinner in McGain or the Harris type bowler in Hauritz. They should go for the former considering the strength of their tail, the performances of their seamers so far and the more then decent job North has been doing. Hauritz really doesnít offer anything to the side when North is there.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    All seems to be getting quite childish in the SA camp. I read that Prince had the captaincy taken away because he said if he was captain, he would decide the batting order. And then he would choose AB to open instead of him because he's done it before!
    Prince is bang on. If he is the captain he should be able to dictate where he bats and who opens. Seems like someone thought Ashwell could be a puppet, his not.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Prince is bang on. If he is the captain he should be able to dictate where he bats and who opens. Seems like someone thought Ashwell could be a puppet, his not.
    Yeah, good on Prince IMO. Pretty rough to make him open when he clearly doesn't want to do it and there's other players in the team who have experience doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    And Voges is a fool, it's a lot easier to get married than play for one's country. A third of marriages end in divorce anyway.
    Half of all players end up getting dropped.

Greater chance with the marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Half of all players end up getting dropped.

Greater chance with the marriage.

But playing instead of getting married at this particular time gives him the chance to chalk up more games against his name. As it stands he will probably be lucky to be picked again. If his prospective wife really loves him, she'll wait.

Yeah but Parnell and Albie have also bowled on other surfaces this year and their performances donít suggest they should be playing test cricket especially in the case of Albie as a third seamer in a struggling bowling attack. de Wet has only just returned from serious injury but from the reports his pace is back (bowled 140kph+ in the 20/20) and his got the wickets whilst Alexander is the leading wicket-taker domestically. His very raw but not as raw as Parnell and he can swing it back into the left-handers at real pace.

As you say the Cape wicket should be good for batting but it does assist the spinners, Harris (and JP) should get some nice drift and turn from days 3 onwards.

Interesting to see if Aus go for the attacking spinner in McGain or the Harris type bowler in Hauritz. They should go for the former considering the strength of their tail, the performances of their seamers so far and the more then decent job North has been doing. Hauritz really doesnít offer anything to the side when North is there.
    I thought Albertus took 5 for 28 a few weeks ago, though I agree that he's not really a frontline spinner. Alexander wasn't that penetrative against us in the warmup affair. And I thought de Wet was one of those Kolpaks.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Perhaps, shock horror, you'll become mature enough that you'll not mistake someone's disagreeing with a choice made by others as some all encompassing misogyny.

Perhaps, shock horror, a marriage can wait. Perhaps it cannot. It's their choice. Based on what little I've heard, I disagree with it.

If you disagree, fine. But spare me the patronising **** which implies I'm some sort of sexist arsehole when I've been married 15 years myself and had real world decisions of my own to make with my wife.
    I apologise if you think I was implying you were mysogenistic. I obviously have no idea as I've never met you. All I said was my reaction to a comment that I personally found a little patronising. I certainly didn't meant to cause this amount of offence.

I suppose he would have been in a difficult position if he'd moved AB up to open to accomodate himself, and then AB had failed... especially given that AB has been pretty successful in the middle order. Probably if the selectors had a problem with it, they should have sorted it all out before announcing it to the media. It doesn't help the team to have distractions like that.

I thought Albertus took 5 for 28 a few weeks ago, though I agree that he's not really a frontline spinner. Alexander wasn't that penetrative against us in the warmup affair. And I thought de Wet was one of those Kolpaks.
    Tried to go Kolpak last year but was refused a work permit. Middlesex then opted to sign Dirk Nannes. Although, de Wet did end up playing league cricket up north and turned out for Lancashireís seconds.

Can't really take much notice at that warm-up game, practically every seamer got tonked.

Albie did take a Michelle recently but it was only his 4th of his career in 58 games. Contrast that to de Wet who has 10 (and 2 10 wicket hauls) in only 38 games and a far superior strike-rate and is more economical. Alexander also has 4 5 wicket hauls but in only 27 first class games.

Not sure who South Africa is trying to kid by bringing him in, by all means there could be a place for Albie in the side but never as a third seamer.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Got to say, am ecstatic that Albertus is playing. Can't see him bowling or batting well tbh.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Perhaps, shock horror, you'll become mature enough that you'll not mistake someone's disagreeing with a choice made by others as some all encompassing misogyny.

Perhaps, shock horror, a marriage can wait. Perhaps it cannot. It's their choice. Based on what little I've heard, I disagree with it.

If you disagree, fine. But spare me the patronising **** which implies I'm some sort of sexist arsehole when I've been married 15 years myself and had real world decisions of my own to make with my wife.
    I'll pay that.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I'll pay that.
    Look, I really am sorry. Sometimes when you're working in a male-dominated environment every day for ten years and have to listen to people say all sorts of things, you can be over-sensitive to comments like 'pussy-whipped' and suggestions that a wife will be looking after money a man has earned. I totally shouldn't have responded with sarcasm, it was very childish in retrospect. I'm sure it was a totally innocent comment and I just took it the wrong way. I shouldn't post on cricketweb so early in the morning after a late night. I will endeavour to be a lot more measured in future.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Look, I really am sorry. Sometimes when you're working in a male-dominated environment every day for ten years and have to listen to people say all sorts of things, you can be over-sensitive to comments like 'pussy-whipped' and suggestions that a wife will be looking after money a man has earned. I totally shouldn't have responded with sarcasm, it was very childish in retrospect. I'm sure it was a totally innocent comment and I just took it the wrong way. I shouldn't post on cricketweb so early in the morning after a late night. I will endeavour to be a lot more measured in future.
    Hey no need to apologise at all. In fact I'm sorry for my rant.

I blame it on my having to go to Melbourne today.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hey no need to apologise at all. In fact I'm sorry for my rant.

I blame it on my having to go to Melbourne today.
    Nah, I shouldn't have started the ranting.

Is Melbourne really that bad?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Nah, I shouldn't have started the ranting.

Is Melbourne really that bad?
    Nah, it's really, really nice.

It's just there are so many Victorians there you see....

Thread Information