• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Hasim walks, made the comms sound stupid was halfway through saying 'bat hit the ground, nathan bracken knows it, the umpire knows it...oh he's walking'

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I reckon opening with Laughlin rather than Bracken mightn't have been a bad idea
:-O You didn't.

Has anyone else noticed the change in attitude of Bracken? It's almost if Ponting has had a chat to him about a potential Ashes Tour, and wants to see him bowl like a Test Match bowler. The normally laughy, talky Bracken looks dead serious and is sending them down, even his cutter was quicker than normal.

I'm absolutely loving it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Obligatory Hughes dire commentary comment.

This partnership has been so frustrating. Gibbs caught behind and Smith plumb LBW, edges and miscues everywhere. Ponting's captaincy has been terrific, we just need something to go our way.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Obligatory Hughes dire commentary comment.

This partnership has been so frustrating. Gibbs caught behind and Smith plumb LBW, edges and miscues everywhere. Ponting's captaincy has been terrific, we just need something to go our way.
True but there have been some fantastic shots amongst those. Also not so sure about the great captaincy comment.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
True but there have been some fantastic shots amongst those. Also not so sure about the great captaincy comment.
Definately some very powerful shots in there, but they were extremely scratchy for the most part imo.

Fantastic catch from Clarke! Hopefully Hopes, Hauritz and maybe Dussey can get in some tight overs. Though Ponting may bring Johnson back.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hauritz. :) He has really bowled extremely well, and again, Ponting has been superb.

This is close to being one of my favourite ODIs ever. :thumbsup:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The umpiring's been a joke this innings. Gibbs edges behind, Smith's plumb lbw, De Villiers gets a massive smeller, Duminy's totally plumb to Hauritz twice. Probably would've missed Amla's nick too if he hadn't walked.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The umpiring's been a joke this innings. Gibbs edges behind, Smith's plumb lbw, De Villiers gets a massive smeller, Duminy's totally plumb to Hauritz twice. Probably would've missed Amla's nick too if he hadn't walked.
I still don't think Botha actually got anywhere near hitting the ball either.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Poor really. Ntini is done and hopefully the selectors take note. How long was it going to take before they figure out that he's a bowler with no slower bowl who only bowls one-dimensional short-of-a-length pies at 125km/h. Bring back Vernon Philander then if that's the case. At least he had 2 types of slower balls.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Definately one of my favourite ODI matches ever.

Again, the selectors were absolutely brilliant with their XI and then Ponting used them incredibly well. I'd probably put that down as the best tactics I've seen in an ODI Match. Hauritz definately benefited bowling to so many left-handers, which is ironically an area in which Australia struggles, but who could begrudge him that?

Two other things - I thought the commentators were way harsh on Bracken's bowling. Yes, his stats are expensive, but he had Gibbs caught behind which would make it 2/36, which I'm sure no-one would then bicker at. :rolleyes: I thought he was fantastic bar his last over in which he seemed to fatigue.

Also - Neil Manthorp - wtb? He just went on a snide rampage. Hussey gets MOTM and Manthorp just insults him and his tour and then finishes with 'Well batted'. How good of you. Then Ponting comes up and he starts dissing Punter about the batting powerplay. Was so unimpressed.

I wish I could contact Ponting/the selectors and say thank you. It was a joy to watch that match. :)

For South Africa, I won't pretend I know who to select. But it seems strange not picking Prince and Parnell and dropping Gibbs and Ntini. Feel free to disagree, but both the Ps have looked really good against Australia in the past.