• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well hopefully that side gives the Aussie blokes a good workout before the first test, its very likely that the Aussies would field the same XI for the practice game, that they are gonna play in the 1st test, so what side they play in they play for the practice game would be interesting to see.

Btw, is this one of those games where everyone from the squad gets a gig, or is it a proper 11 v 11 game..?
I think it has first class status and the South African side only has 11 players.

I wouldn't count on much of a workout for the Aussie batsman; the SA side only has two seamers. Wiese is a part-timer when he plays franchise cricket and Roelof van der Merwe is a one day bowler but at least Tahir will have a lot of bowling to do.

Surprised there is no Albie Morkel, his from the Titans and unless his injured he should be playing. Neil Mac should also be playing, he needs all the time in the middle he can get.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Australia are now not facing South Africa A on Friday, as I suggested a few days ago it would be impossible due to the ongoing domestic 20/20 competition for South Africa to field a competitive A side, so instead Australia will play against a Presidential XI made up of cricketers from the Lions, Titans and Imraan Khan of the Dolphins, who isn’t apart of Dolphins 20/20 side.

Team…
Captain - Alviro ‘Virus’ Petersen, Craig Alexander, Gulam Bodi, Imraan Khan, Heino Kuhn (W/K), Ethy Mbhalati, Blake Snijman, Imran Tahir, Roelof van der Merwe, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, David Wiese.

Looking forward to see how Tahir gets on but the flattest track in South Africa, a ragtag side = Australian batsman having heaps of fun. Although, that may not be ideal preparation, as the first test is at the Wanderers and that wicket has been 'spicy' over the past few years.
How's Craig Alexander going over in SA?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
How's Craig Alexander going over in SA?
He had a good Pro20 and was bowling big outswingers at 145kph plus. Drew comparisons to Charl Langeveldt, similar action, same height (minus the gut) and both genuine swing bowlers.

I guess you played against him a few years back? He was more of a tear away quick then but his had a lot of injuries since and had to leave the Cape for Jo'Burg to make it.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can't wait for this series to start.

Anyone else like me, who absolutely hated Graeme Smith a few years ago, but now actually think that he's a top bloke?

Evermind

International Debutant
Don't actually have a team then?
My home team would be Singapore but they don't play cricket that isn't of a laughable variety.

I was born in India but the Indian team kinda annoys me, though usually I end up grudgingly supporting it.

I also like NZ and SA, and SL sometimes. But yes, mainly, whoever plays against Aus or Pak. I wish I could support England but they're a bit dull as a team ATM.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Loving the selection of Tahir.

Wouldn't have minded if they played Faf instead of Blake Snijman or Wiese. I reckon Roela and Imran would have the bulk of the overs though.

Also surprised theres no Albie.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Australia are now not facing South Africa A on Friday, as I suggested a few days ago it would be impossible due to the ongoing domestic 20/20 competition for South Africa to field a competitive A side, so instead Australia will play against a Presidential XI made up of cricketers from the Lions, Titans and Imraan Khan of the Dolphins, who isn’t apart of Dolphins 20/20 side.

Team…
Captain - Alviro ‘Virus’ Petersen, Craig Alexander, Gulam Bodi, Imraan Khan, Heino Kuhn (W/K), Ethy Mbhalati, Blake Snijman, Imran Tahir, Roelof van der Merwe, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, David Wiese.

Looking forward to see how Tahir gets on but the flattest track in South Africa, a ragtag side = Australian batsman having heaps of fun. Although, that may not be ideal preparation, as the first test is at the Wanderers and that wicket has been 'spicy' over the past few years.
Yeah I'm liking that, want to see how Kuhn gets on, as well as van der Merwe and Tahir..

Is anyone on CW going to the Joburg test? I might have a free weekend to road trip it up.. So excited

jondavluc

State Regular

Anyone else like me, who absolutely hated Graeme Smith a few years ago, but now actually think that he's a top bloke?
I never hated him personally I thought he was a bit of wanker though. He really proved to me that he is a great leader for his team.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It is always easy to look like a 'great bloke' when the team is winning. Smith bein a prick coincided with them getting beaten from pillar to post by Australia.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Loving the selection of Tahir.

Wouldn't have minded if they played Faf instead of Blake Snijman or Wiese. I reckon Roela and Imran would have the bulk of the overs though.

Also surprised theres no Albie.
Faf has a 3 year Kolpak deal with Lancs. No point in picking him if he is not available for South Africa.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he was a footy player he'd be stood down for that.

Of course, if he was a footy player he'd have missed it because he was tearing up some pub somewhere.

Langeveldt

Soutie

Yep

For me it what the whole falling out with Klusener thing, but Smith seems to have backed up his talk with success.. Even if I disagree with him, I admire that as a quality

Demon43

Cricket Spectator
the proper australian X1

Katich
Hughes
Ponting
M Hussey
M Clarke
Brad Haddin
Mcdonald
M Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
That should be the X1 not any of thi sother team ur talking about

Although the consensus to replace Hayden is to pick Jaques & the selectors are likely to do so. I can't help but think the opposite & push for Hodge to be seleted, pushing Hussey up to open gives the batting a more solid look without a doubt.

Although the selectors & Noffke has issues, again i think picking him gives the bowling balance a better shape.

This would be my XI & squad for SA personally now:

Katich
M Hussey
Ponting
Hodge
Clarke
Symonds/D Hussey
Haddin
Noffke
Johnson
Siddle
Bollinger