• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You've never lived to see India beat SA at home either. :)
Well Duh :p But SA didn't just have one of the greatest undefeated series streaks at home for a long time, nor be the greatest team around for over a decade.

Roles reversed, and I'd rather see Ind beat SA in SA.

Matt's point was one of rivalry, i.e. Ind vs. Aus rivalry > Ind vs. SA, just like Aus vs. Eng rivalry > Aus vs. SA.

Evermind

International Debutant
If SA do dislodge Australia at #1, and you had the choice between India winning a series in SA against SA, or winning a series vs. Australia in Australia, which would you rather see as a fan?
Any team beating Australia whether home or away brings me joy.

howardj

International Coach
Guys, does anyone know who all would be the part of the commentary team for this series, because i remember the last time Australia went to South Africa, the commentary standards were woeful to say the very least.
Fox, I guess, will just take the SA coverage, which means guys like Cullinan, Haysman and perhaps Keppler etc. Am hoping, like with the Indian tour with AB and BJ, that there will be some token Aussies in the box too.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nah, would take a series loss in SA if it guaranteed an Ashes win in England. In a heartbeat.

That said, winning both is obviously preferable.

Thought the ending of the Allan Border medal summed up the rest of the year perfectly for mine "London Calling..."
I'd take a loss to Australia now if it meant a thrashing of England next summer..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fox, I guess, will just take the SA coverage, which means guys like Cullinan, Haysman and perhaps Keppler etc. Am hoping, like with the Indian tour with AB and BJ, that there will be some token Aussies in the box too.
Slats on the radio this morning was saying Greig and Smashing are both going over.

Demon43

Cricket Spectator
Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes should get the openers spot because australia has to start rebuilding. If a young guy like him is able to dominate the Australian domestic scene then he is something special. In my opinion he is one of the best most technically sound batsmen to come through the australia domestic scene in the last 20 years there has to be a changing of the guard for Australia to dominate again and it should start with Hughes

howardj

International Coach
Phil Hughes should get the openers spot because australia has to start rebuilding. If a young guy like him is able to dominate the Australian domestic scene then he is something special. In my opinion he is one of the best most technically sound batsmen to come through the australia domestic scene in the last 20 years there has to be a changing of the guard for Australia to dominate again and it should start with Hughes
Welcome aboard mate.

Rest assured, the structure of the squad is such that he will be strapping on the pads to open the battting on February 26.

pup11

International Coach
Nah, would take a series loss in SA if it guaranteed an Ashes win in England. In a heartbeat.

That said, winning both is obviously preferable.

Thought the ending of the Allan Border medal summed up the rest of the year perfectly for mine "London Calling..."

They have a lot of issues to address before they turn up for the Ashes, the test side is in a bit of shambles atm, and if they don't start getting things back in order from this series itself, then there isn't much hope for the Ashes either.

England aren't an easy team to beat at home, and if Australia reach England with similar problems to the one's they have now, then they would have a real struggle on their hands to beat England.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Australia are now not facing South Africa A on Friday, as I suggested a few days ago it would be impossible due to the ongoing domestic 20/20 competition for South Africa to field a competitive A side, so instead Australia will play against a Presidential XI made up of cricketers from the Lions, Titans and Imraan Khan of the Dolphins, who isn’t apart of Dolphins 20/20 side.

Team…
Captain - Alviro ‘Virus’ Petersen, Craig Alexander, Gulam Bodi, Imraan Khan, Heino Kuhn (W/K), Ethy Mbhalati, Blake Snijman, Imran Tahir, Roelof van der Merwe, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, David Wiese.

Looking forward to see how Tahir gets on but the flattest track in South Africa, a ragtag side = Australian batsman having heaps of fun. Although, that may not be ideal preparation, as the first test is at the Wanderers and that wicket has been 'spicy' over the past few years.

pup11

International Coach
Australia are now not facing South Africa A on Friday, as I suggested a few days ago it would be impossible due to the ongoing domestic 20/20 competition for South Africa to field a competitive A side, so instead Australia will play against a Presidential XI made up of cricketers from the Lions, Titans and Imraan Khan of the Dolphins, who isn’t apart of Dolphins 20/20 side.

Team…
Captain - Alviro ‘Virus’ Petersen, Craig Alexander, Gulam Bodi, Imraan Khan, Heino Kuhn (W/K), Ethy Mbhalati, Blake Snijman, Imran Tahir, Roelof van der Merwe, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, David Wiese.

Looking forward to see how Tahir gets on but the flattest track in South Africa, a ragtag side = Australian batsman having heaps of fun. Although, that may not be ideal preparation, as the first test is at the Wanderers and that wicket has been 'spicy' over the past few years.
Well hopefully that side gives the Aussie blokes a good workout before the first test, its very likely that the Aussies would field the same XI for the practice game, that they are gonna play in the 1st test, so what side they play in they play for the practice game would be interesting to see.

Btw, is this one of those games where everyone from the squad gets a gig, or is it a proper 11 v 11 game..?