Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 380 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    I think drawing will be a difficult option considering the patchy form of the batsmen of late, and also that Hayden, the runmaker is gone. Ponting and Hussey will have to step up quite a bit to enable Australia make scores around 500 in every game, and looks unlikely considering the strong bowling attack of SA.
    Would take issue with this - I think Hayden's retirement and replacement with Jaques, Rogers, or Hughes, will actually strengthen the team. Because they're not replacing "overall-career-record" Hayden, and certainly not 2001 or 2006 Matt Hayden, they're replacing 2008/9 Hayden, and Jaques, Rogers and Hughes are all >> than 08/09 Haydos.

I'd bet against Ponting and Hussey having two poor (relatively in Ponting's case) series in a row, and if we actually select a proper batsman at 6 given the lack of test standard allrounders, then our batting will be in fine shape.

The bowling will be more problematic. Really don't think Noffke or Bollinger are the solutions to the problem either. Johnson, Siddle, hopefully Clark for me, with Bollinger as the back up. Don't mind Hauritz, I think he's done the job more often than not for Ponting, and if we don't have a really good spinner, then someone who is at least reliably "ok" is not a bad thing. McGain hopefully does enough to reclaim a tour spot, but I don't think he should go straight back in ahead of Haury. Krejza to stay at home comparing notes with Beau Casson of wild-flings with selectors gone wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see how the Aussies top order handles Steyn on much quicker South African wickets...
    CricZo XI - 3 Draft Winner

Scorecard Draft (2010) V Sehwag, D Amiss, D Bradman (c), C Cowdrey, P Umrigar, A Faulkner, R Marsh +, M Marshall, W Hall, M Hughes, B O'Reilly
    Alphabetical Draft (2011) S Watson, G Kirsten, D Bradman (c), K Sangakkara +, C Cowdrey, K Pietersen, A Flintoff, M Marshall, B O'Reilly, F Trueman, T Alderman
    The Eras Draft (2014) V Trumper, A Morris, N Harvey, J Kallis, S McCabe, F Woolley, Imran Khan (c), J Dujon +, J Briggs, D Steyn, J Snow

*dogs-breakfast*
    perhaps...

Actually, I think that they'll have their moments, but generally do ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Don't mind Hauritz, I think he's done the job more often than not for Ponting, and if we don't have a really good spinner, then someone who is at least reliably "ok" is not a bad thing. McGain hopefully does enough to reclaim a tour spot, but I don't think he should go straight back in ahead of Haury.
    No doubt Hauritz did ok vs SA & NZ. But given that we have no really worthy all-rounder in Watson (i hope the god those idiots dont pick McDonald) to give the bowling the required 5-man attack for this tour.

Haurtiz cannot be affored in a 4-man attack. That 100% madness. If wouldn't even pick McGain a 4-man attack, but i would pick his as the only spinner.

It should be pretty clear to the selectors & most that Australia have to depend solely on their pace ranks in SA. So so continue to continue broken record, 4-SEAMERS have to play in SA.

Krejza to stay at home comparing notes with Beau Casson of wild-flings with selectors gone wrong.
    Yea Krejza should stay home. But if we get Watson fit & strong (although i tend to fear these days, that given his injuries Australia depending on him to be the all-rounder batting @ 6 consistently might become Bond situation with NZ). Krejza would be the best spinner in a 5-man attack.

Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    There's no way Hussey will open. Such a band-aid solution will only cost us in the long run, and further destabilise an already volatile middle order.
    Will it really though?. Australia's middle-order was fairly solid vs SA i'd say. Only Hussey was out of form, Symo lacking fitness & off-field situation didn't help him, plus the crazy ol selectors picked McDonald (although he tried) instead of someone like Hodge, D Hussey or even North.

Its still is my personal opinion though. But serious talk who in Hayden's retirement strenghtens the batting more Hodge or Jaques/Hughes/Rogers??. Surely Hodge.

No doubt Hussey has made Martyn #4 spot his own. But he clearly can handle opening the batting in test. The only thing that would hold this idea back is Hussey's current form.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    This.
    That

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I don't think Bracken has done his test selection any favours in this ODI series. Yes, he's been economical, but the Saffas have seen him off for one wicket in four games at 93. It doesn't really show any penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Will it really though?. Australia's middle-order was fairly solid vs SA i'd say. Only Hussey was out of form, Symo lacking fitness & off-field situation didn't help him, plus the crazy ol selectors picked McDonald (although he tried) instead of someone like Hodge, D Hussey or even North.

Its still is my personal opinion though. But serious talk who in Hayden's retirement strenghtens the batting more Hodge or Jaques/Hughes/Rogers??. Surely Hodge.

No doubt Hussey has made Martyn #4 spot his own. But he clearly can handle opening the batting in test. The only thing that would hold this idea back is Hussey's current form.
    Read my sig.

Take a number.

Why apply a band-aid when we've got two excellent long term solutions?

Hughes now surely has to open the batting with Katich in the first test in South Africa, made 151 today whereas Jaques made 9.

Hughes has solid form behind him and as much as i like Jaques, i don't think he would really be in any sort of touch to comeback into test cricket and do well against a very good bowling attack in their own backyard.

One more thing i noticed, Krejza continues making reverse hundreds even in SS game, apparently has given away 114 runs of 29 overs and has picked one wicket, so not much seems to be changing there.

Read my sig.

Take a number.

Why apply a band-aid when we've got two excellent long term solutions?
    Hussey could never be considered a "band-aid" option as an opener. He could very well open & be successful their for another 2-3 years.

Hughes although i have not seen him as yet, is no doubt putting together prodigy like performances. But for the upcoming tours to SA & ENG i am 100% behind the idea of conservatism.

If he fails vs Steyn, Flintoff and co. He will immediately be related from prodigy to another selectiorial error.

Isn't reinstating Jaques, who was the incumbent til injury and avergaes in the mid-40s, a more conservative move than rearranging your existing batting order and taking on a new middle order batsman (because we both know that Hodge probably wouldn't get a call up unless half the team got injured.)?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The West Indies won a test in Safferland not long ago, i keep forgetting.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Hmmm well based on the players who will likely be available for the South Africa series, I think we'll be seeing:

Katich
    Hughes/Jaques (Jaques really deserves it but the selectors may be keen to "rebuild")
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    MacDonald
    Haddin
    Noffke
    Johnson
    Bollinger
    McGain

Hilfenhaus
    Symonds
    Hauritz
    Some random fast bowler who will never be picked in an Aus squad again

The only changes that we might see to this are Symonds for MacDonald and Hilfenhaus for Noffke. Even though Noffke deserves his spot more.

There's no way they'll have Noffke in the side with MacDonald.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    I fear that Noffke may have missed the boat a little, given his age and lack of recent cricket, mind you I would still certainly pick him at number 8 for the first test, particularly now that Clark is ruled out, attack needs an experienced seamer who can offer a little more control and he fits the bill, plus theres his batting.

Hopefully the selectors bite the bullet regarding the number 6 spot and revert to 6 batsman and 4 bowlers with either Symonds, D Hussey, North or *gulp* Brad Hodge at 6. I'm not optimistic though, I fear McDonald will tour and play.

After today I'd be pretty suprised if Phil Hughes dosent tour, however I suspect they'll take Jaques aswell to give him a bit of extra time over there to show some form and he'll likely open in the tests.

In South African conditions I really don't see the point in picking Hauritz for the sake of variety/economy. I'd have McGain if he looks half-decent and he'd still be unlikely to get game time in a test match.

I would also have Hilfenhaus in the first XI ahead of Bollinger, I know its a bit inconsistent however my gut feeling is just that long term Hilfenhaus is going to figure more prominently in Australia's plans, has very solid fundamentals quite similarly to Siddle really. Sharp, good control, great stamina, swings the ball.

My Test team for South Africa-
    1.Katich
    2.Jaques
    3.Ponting*
    4.M Hussey
    5.Clarke
    6.D Hussey
    7.Haddin+
    8.Noffke
    9.Johnson
    10.Siddle
    11.Hilfenhaus