• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haa, i got to say not seeing Australian domestic cricket live is becoming a real piss.

This is the second series following Siddle's impressive performance in India that my worries over a player have been immediately erased.

Hughes is out of this world. Its now hitting home that i won't be see the new breed of Australian talent in an Ashes test. Utter crap, i can't believe OT isn't considered a major venue this year.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie, how many byes has Prior given up this series? Have you been watching the Windies series?

AB kept decent/good in the Aussie ODI series. His only real blemish was not appealing when the batsman edged it. :happy:
Those byes he has given up, haven't exactly been shocking misses though. Take that delivery from Amjad Khan that spun awkwardly in front of him just now, Prior couldn't have done much with that

The pitches have been a bit up & down, otherwise Prior has been solid since his return.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Those byes he has given up, haven't exactly been shocking misses though. Take that delivery from Amjad Khan that spun awkwardly in front of him just now, Prior couldn't have done much with that

The pitches have been a bit up & down, otherwise Prior has been solid since his return.
:dry: Well Ramdin has been keeping on the same pitches and I can't recall him making as making hollocks as Prior has. Most of the time they are just basic errors like not closing your legs!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloody depressing. :(

This Aus team is going to murder England 5-0.
Don't panic yet. I still don't think the Aussie batting is so solid that our bowlers won't have something to say. I'm definitely worried about Johnson, though there's still time for him to trip over a stray ball before July.

It'll be interesting to see whether Australia get in the same pickle we did about bringing back players before 06/07.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Love this bit:

It was said prior to this series that Ponting was presiding over a crumbling empire, but his band of willing reinforcements are ensuring the walls of Rome are holding fast. The captain, himself, went far to ensuring a series-clinching Australian victory with an imperious innings of 81 and together with Hughes added 164 runs for the second wicket. The once marauding South Africans were in full retreat.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Second worst day of test cricket since I've been following it.. The worst being when Donald broke down in Joburg six years ago and Gilchrist started smashing us everywhere.. Nothing more to add, although Huges looks to be a very exciting prospect
/
yeah really dissapointing display today.Also remember 97 when Blewett and SR Waugh batted through the whole day.
The late great Bob Woolmer,was in the SA dressing room,looking for something under a chair.When asked what he was looking for he replied:"A wicket!"

Remeber that Gilly innings,Langervelt.Wasn't that the match where a player won a million rand if he hit a certain sponsors advertising board,above the scoreboard. Fastest 200 at the time until a few days later...

Langeveldt

Soutie
/
yeah really dissapointing display today.Also remember 97 when Blewett and SR Waugh batted through the whole day.
The late great Bob Woolmer,was in the SA dressing room,looking for something under a chair.When asked what he was looking for he replied:"A wicket!"

Remeber that Gilly innings,Langervelt.Wasn't that the match where a player won a million rand if he hit a certain sponsors advertising board,above the scoreboard. Fastest 200 at the time until a few days later...
Yeah agreed, remember that Donald run out during the 1999 World Cup and multiply it by a test series and this is the mess you have got.. There is nothing worse than false hope, and South Africa have proved themselves to be completely abject since Melbourne.. Normal service resumed, still at least we aren't as bad as England yet. I didn't mind those times when we were put away by great players, but this really grates, we're bowling like kids to a 20 year old kid..

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
I didn't mind those times when we were put away by great players, but this really grates, we're bowling like kids to a 20 year old kid..
Not to overstate things at all - but the '20 year old kid' averages over 60 in first class cricket - including a century in the domestic final.
He knows how to bat under pressure, he made a mountain of runs in a very short period of time and looks the goods as a long term test player.

He's certainly starting off his test career on the right note!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not to overstate things at all - but the '20 year old kid' averages over 60 in first class cricket - including a century in the domestic final.
He knows how to bat under pressure, he made a mountain of runs in a very short period of time and looks the goods as a long term test player.

He's certainly starting off his test career on the right note!
Yeah not saying he's a bad player at all, but it just makes things all the worse when someone younger than me is putting us away

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
:dry: Well Ramdin has been keeping on the same pitches and I can't recall him making as making hollocks as Prior has. Most of the time they are just basic errors like not closing your legs!
That was the mistake his mother made.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Fantastic cricket by Australia, so pumped to see our batsmen firing again. Phillip Hughes in the space of one and a half test matches has gone from cult domestic favourite to the most promising youngster in world cricket. He is playing terrific against a highly fancied bowling line-up. Hughes may enter the upcoming Ashes series as the number one batting threat to the English.

Many in this thread have referenced to the fact the South Africans have tested out all forms of his game. Playing for NSW many of his dismissals come from his own doing (upper cut over slips, pull shots that are not there), very worrying for opposition that a technical weakness is not his usual downfall.