• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
mmm...:unsure:..didn't check the stats, just shot from the mouth.

the best explanation i can give is that I think Macca is a limited type who knows his bowling and its limitations well (kinda like myself on a downgraded scale). Magoffin I think would try to impress as a fast bowler and fall into bad habbits of too short or too fast etc. More just a gut feeling I guess, so feel free to ignore my previous post 8-)
You mean McDonald is a downgraded version of you?! Get thee to South Africa!!

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
:laugh: well no. perhaps a grammatical error there on my part (although I wouldn't have been taking my eyes of the ball if bounced in my first over of test cricket)

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
with more injury/replacement news its even more drumming home how inexperienced the current player pool is and how directionless the selections have been.

It kinda reminds me of the "if you own a bat you will get a chance" selection policy that England employed in 1989 Ashes.

In the last 12 months how many players have debuted in tests for Oz?

Without actually checking I'll try and reel them off:

Haddin
Casson
White
Siddle
Bollinger
Krezja
Macdonald
North
Hilfenhouse
Hughes

Thats 10 and probably forgot some. Oh for the good old days of settled teams and quality players. :fear:

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
with more injury/replacement news its even more drumming home how inexperienced the current player pool is and how directionless the selections have been.

It kinda reminds me of the "if you own a bat you will get a chance" selection policy that England employed in 1989 Ashes.

In the last 12 months how many players have debuted in tests for Oz?

Without actually checking I'll try and reel them off:

Haddin
Casson
White
Siddle
Bollinger
Krezja
Macdonald
North
Hilfenhouse
Hughes

Thats 10 and probably forgot some. Oh for the good old days of settled teams and quality players. :fear:
But it's not like there has been any option at all.

Haddin was essential - Gilly retired and we needed a wicket-keeper. Since he started, Haddin has been a quality player who has retained his spot (so settled?)

Siddle won selection in India ahead of Bollinger when picked to replace the injured Stuart Clark. He was dropped in favour of Clarke for the NZ series, but since then has retained his spot - and already owns a test bowling average of 28, despite only having played tests against the other 2 top nations in the world (SAf and India). Quality player who looks settled in the lineup.

Bollinger, who was 'next in line' replaced Lee, who got injured - and was solid in his debut. Unfortunately Bollinger's injury opened the door for Hilfenhaus to make his debut.

Hughes was clearly picked with an eye to the long term following the retirement of Hayden - similar to Haddin, good choice which looks to be a quality and settled move.

McDonald and North are vying for the 'all-rounder' position in the lineup due to the unavailability of Watson (and Symonds soiling himself). Not much they could do on that front either.

Casson was picked as a spinner for the West Indies, wasn't inspirational, and made way for White in India, who made way for Krejza (!) who in turn made way for Hauritz, who is now behind McGain in the pecking order.
Perhaps McGain was the man who should have been selected all along - it's clear that on the spin front the selectors have made some serious errors - Krejza and Hauritz are barely shield quality spinners, while White doesn't even bowl....

So. while I'd agree that a lot of players have debuted, it's not like the selectors were chopping and changing all the time - on the whole they've taken the long term approach - the main area of contention is the spinner spot, which was resolved in the latest test by not picking one at all (perhaps what should have been done all along if no quality wicket taker was available?).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dispute that, don't think it was in doubt he'd bowl straight. I think they would have been hoping for more from his batting, though. Definitely dodged a bullet there with guys like Midge Johnson taking up the slack in the lower-order.
Well yes, based on what i saw of McDonald in Sydney. I expected him to be used as a defensive bowler, once picked for the SA Tour.

But not part of a 4-man attack, that was madness & as we both agree, that selectorial blunder was avoided for obvious reasons.

So McDonald must be dropped, especially if the extreme happens & Siddle & Hilfenhaus aren't fit for the second test.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Although not a fan of Bracks as a test bowler. Surely with the bowling resources stretched to the limit because of injuries, he should have been called up ahead of Geeves at least.

These selectors *sighs*

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy - any word on the Durban pitch?
No but domestically and traditionally it has pace and bounce and if overcast it will swing plenty. It does take turn later on but last time South Africa played at Kingsmead, Harris was dropped for Polly.

It usually is a good result wicket and if overcast or very humid (the most likely) guys like Steyn should do ok. Not sure about Ntini and Morne, their natural length is too short for Kingsmead.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't have Morkel in there, the seam cupboard isn't that bare and why do we need an Andrew McDonald anyway? An ODI player at best is Albie.. Drop Morne to 11 and hopefully he'll be hurt enough to knuckle down with his batting
It is? Who else around (who isn't injured or a kid) is any good?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Although not a fan of Bracks as a test bowler. Surely with the bowling resources stretched to the limit because of injuries, he should have been called up ahead of Geeves at least.

These selectors *sighs*
Bracken didn't play the last Shield game; he's presumed injured (even though there's some evidence to suggest he actually isn't).