• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Matt79

Global Moderator
I do think both McGain and Hauritz should tour.

McGain looks the better bowler, but the reality is he's returning from injury, and more's the point, has never played a test. Hauritz at least has been steady. I'd rather they go over with a solid plan "B" rather than see Cameron White take another emergency trip to the airport to roll his arm over for Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Damn. I am not going to rest properly until this squad is picked. Extremely worries ATM.

pup11

International Coach
Are you sure of this? I thought in the lead up that their was talk that Katich would have to be patient and bide his time as backup batsman. This was until Jaques's injury. Can someone else confirm this?
Yeah i am postive about this, Katich even played ahead of Jaques in the practice match in India which shows Katich had already been confirmed to open ahead of Jaques in the test series.

If i am not wrong, Jaques really never had an injury after that eiher, it was just that his back was bothering him for sometime, and that restricted his strokeplay through the off-side, especially his drives through the cover, and he decided to have a surgery to fix his back once he realised he is out of reckoning.

pup11

International Coach
I do think both McGain and Hauritz should tour.

McGain looks the better bowler, but the reality is he's returning from injury, and more's the point, has never played a test. Hauritz at least has been steady. I'd rather they go over with a solid plan "B" rather than see Cameron White take another emergency trip to the airport to roll his arm over for Australia.
Yeah agree with this, McGain is bowling beautifully atm and he has to be the playing XI there, but Hauritz too needs to be in the squad too, Hauritz' criticism has gone way over the top here, okay the bloke is really not test class, but still he has bowled decently enough.

Went back to FC cricket and picked a 4-fer there too, so he is going alright atm, and in case McGain gets hammered, he should take his place in the team, we all talk about how thin the Aussie spin stocks are atm, but still we write off a bloke like Hauritz as if there are 100 better spin bowlers than him in Australia.

Since Ponting has cleared that they won't pick a reserve opener, i hope the reserve batsman is either David Hussey or Michael Klinger, anyone like Ferguson, White or Voges getting picked instead would be a big joke, but given the recent form of Aussie selectors, i am pretty much ready for that too!!

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
errr Klinger ?
oh right! That guy :-O

However the way you discount Rogers as a candidate is a little stupid, he's certainly not the most glamorous option and therefore isn't getting the time of day in the media that Hughes is, however he has thousands of first class runs all over the world in all conditions. A very simple and reliable technique against the moving ball and a great temperament, plus he has the runs this season to back it up.

The Australian selectors could (and recently have) done plenty worse than picking Chris Rogers.
Agreed to a point - but I'm only discounting Rogers in comparison to Hughes.
1000s of runs at a career average of 49 is strong - but Hughes' 60 first class average already speaks volumes in his favour.
[and I don't think Ponting averaged 60 at first class level before his test selection!]

No doubt the kid will have a rough trot at some stage and his average will drop - but the class he's shown suggests it'd be hugely surprising if he averaged less than 50 at first class level over his career, and that he has what it takes to be over 50 at the test level.

That's rare in openers!

If they don't pick Hughes it's a myopic decision from the selectors.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My spies tell me that there's been a late push for Michael Klinger

Stand by
If he does get picked, it would have to be simultaneously the most unlikely but amazing mid-career performance to get selected that I can remember.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I agree, suspect Klinger might be the reserve batsman due to his versatility and good timing with Hodge injured and Dussey not setting the one day series alight.

I think they'll name -
Ponting
Clarke
Hughes
Katich
Hussey
McDonald
Klinger
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger
Hauritz
McGain

iamdavid

International Debutant
squad is-

Australia Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Phillip Hughes, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Andrew McDonald, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Doug Bollinger, Bryce McGain, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Hauritz, Marcus North.

North the only suprise for me

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Marcus "you don't have to score any runs for your state to be playing for Australia" North is pretty lucky. Sure Ian Chappell wasn't picking the squad?

Top_Cat

Dubbleyoo Tee Eff...?

North is a solid pick, mind. I'm just surprised; all the buzz has been about Klinger. North, for mine, has come out of nowhere.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
North picked on the back of 1 match this season, it would seem. No other real surprises though.

Burgey

Given who's missing through injury, etc., probably the best we could go with, save Jaques who you'd think is unlucky his injury kept him out for so long this year. Klinger for North also would have made sense.