• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see how the Saffies bounce back next test as I think they've got real problems

Morkel (whose talent I rate very highly) was terrible except for a few unplayables here and there

Ntini looks finished and was completely flattered by his figures

Duminy has been exposed by short pitched bowling and not for the first time

They'll probably stick with the same attack but I'd certainly pick Prince
Looks as good against the short ball as Hughes does...

Kingsmead usually has pace and bounce but the 3rd test is at his home in Newlands and that is slow and low usually. He still showed enough class out there. Kallis is the worry, his looked good for the most part but he hasn’t had a score in yonks. Another brief cameo from Amla also, not good and as for Neil Mac, he can see off a new ball but scoring runs is another question.

pup11

International Coach
To all those who gave me stick for backing McDonald IN THESE CONDITIONS, no apology is necessary

Simply make a small donation to my favourite charity, SDF
I don't think anybody doubted whether McDonald would be capable of doing the kind of job he did in this game with the ball, but still he shouldn't have been picked ahead of Bollinger or McGain, just in hope of strengthening the batting.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Once again, I have to praise Ponting's captaincy. I know no-one else here rates him, but I thought he was superb the entire Test and fully backed his decision to bat again, and not declare second innings.

Must be so good for him to have some good personnel now in his side.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Once again, I have to praise Ponting's captaincy. I know no-one else here rates him, but I thought he was superb the entire Test and fully backed his decision to bat again, and not declare second innings.

*cough*

stephen

Yeah I think Ponting as captain is vastly underrated.

Sure he doesn't have the tactical naus of Taylor, or the gritty aggression of Waugh, but he does know how to inspire his troops. Honestly I think he's the best captain in the current Australian team.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey Johnson must be annoyed with himself and his performance in that match.

96*
4/x
4/y

Couldn't manage a Michelle or a ton. :p
:laugh:

Just doing some thinking and but for those four runs in the first innings, Mitch would have become (I think) only the fifth Aussie EVER to score a century and take eight wickets in the same Test match. Superb performance.

social

Looks as good against the short ball as Hughes does...

Kingsmead usually has pace and bounce but the 3rd test is at his home in Newlands and that is slow and low usually. He still showed enough class out there. Kallis is the worry, his looked good for the most part but he hasn’t had a score in yonks. Another brief cameo from Amla also, not good and as for Neil Mac, he can see off a new ball but scoring runs is another question.
Oz fans can only hope that Hughes' footwork was down to nerves because I'm buggered if I know how he's scored so many runs batting like that

I thought Duminy was terrible in both innings

Mac is what he is - a limited player that makes the most of his ability. Also seems that there arent any openers in the wings

Amla and Kallis are both class players and you'd have to think one would convert at some stage

Unfortunately for SA fans, Kallis got in that zone today where he just blocked virtually everything. McDonald must have been his wet dream - good length met by beautiful block every ball

social

Given the bowling conditions when he elected to bat again and the following morning, let's not forget that the game really should've been all over by this morning at the latest

Son Of Coco

Given the bowling conditions when he elected to bat again and the following morning, let's not forget that the game really should've been all over by this morning at the latest
Possibly, but one of the dangers of hindsight is that you could end up looking at your own arse.

pup11

International Coach

All the brickbats Ponting had to cope in regard to captaincy were on the basis of how he lead his side in India, his tactics on the Indian tour were truly atrocious, and he deserved all the criticism that came his way due to that.

Though his captaincy was pretty much spot on in this game, was very imaginative and pro-active with his field placements and I guess that's easier to do when your bowlers are bowling according to plan, which unlike previous games they definitely were doing.

stephen

All the brickbats Ponting had to cope in regard to captaincy were on the basis of how he lead his side in India, his tactics on the Indian tour were truly atrocious, and he deserved all the criticism that came his way due to that.

Though his captaincy was pretty much spot on in this game, was very imaginative and pro-active with his field placements and I guess that's easier to do when your bowlers are bowling according to plan, which unlike previous games they definitely were doing.
That's the thing I'm most happy about. The Aus bowlers hunted in packs, as all good fast bowling units.

In the absence of Warne, I would be excedingly happy if a new Australian dynasty was founded on the basis of having a pace battery like the WIndies of old, which I believe these players are capable of.

This Aus team certainly looks young and inexperienced, but with time could be the core of a new all time dominant side.

Son Of Coco

That's the thing I'm most happy about. The Aus bowlers hunted in packs, as all good fast bowling units.

In the absence of Warne, I would be excedingly happy if a new Australian dynasty was founded on the basis of having a pace battery like the WIndies of old, which I believe these players are capable of.

This Aus team certainly looks young and inexperienced, but with time could be the core of a new all time dominant side.
Yeah they did really well. I enjoyed the success of the batsmen too, but I always like watching bowlers doing a good job and these guys were exceptional given the number of tests they've played.

pup11

International Coach
When you really only have three strike bowlers to work around with, making such a decision really gets tough, if it won't have been for that, then indeed it would been a very tempting proposition for Ponting.

pasag

RTDAS
Fantastic win, so happy right now. To win the first Test of the series away from home with so much inexperience makes this out and out our best win in the past couple of years.

jondavluc

State Regular

I like Ricky as captain you can tell his players like him and repect him.Personeally I didn't really think he deserved as much criticism as he got over the last couple of months.

I would be very surprised if we win .I'm expecting to lose and to lose big,I will be ecstatic if we draw it.
As for the comment I made before the test.:laugh:I laugh at them at moment but in the end It is not over this series and I would rather stay on the side of caution.I don't want my heart broken like the last perth test:( when I thought we should have won.

Anyways Good test for the boys hopefully we can clinch the series next test.:happy:

pup11

International Coach

I would still like to see McGain or some decent spinner as the part of that dynasty though, the pitch conditions around the world just aren't favourable enough for an all-fast attack to thrive on, and the number of game that they play nowadays also makes that a very unfavourable option.

pasag

RTDAS
Series Result: SA 2-0
Top SA Runscorer: Kallis
Top Aus Runscorer: Hussey
Top SA Wicket-taker: Steyn
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Siddle
Player of the Series: Kallis
Surprise Packet: Siddle
Dropped Player(s): McKenzie
Miscellaneous Event: Ponting to be suspended for poor overrates
(h)

Evermind

International Debutant
Ntini looks finished and was completely flattered by his figures
?! Hell no. He's one of the most underrated bowlers in international cricket I think - always overshadowed by Steyn. He's a crapload better than Morkel, and a better fast bowler than anyone Pakistan ('cept for Gul), India, SL, NZ, England and the Windies have in their ranks.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Disagree.