• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NatWest Series: ENG v SA v ZIM

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
I agree with Rik.
:O :O :O :O :O
Must say, I'm in agreement too. Must be right.

Our 2 best leg spinners of recent times (last 10-15 years) have been Mike Atherton and Nasser Hussain. Not sure why Nasser finished with it?
Can't remember where I read this.. Nasser finished with it because he grew about six inches in one winter and completely lost control of it - "from bowling Graham Gooch to landing it on top of the neighbouring net". A pain I know all too well ;)

What about Ian Salisbury? Actually, on second thoughts...

And Liam, my career average is 2.36.

Same difference as there is between 40 & 46.73...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ haven't really introduced any new youth players yet so in terms of development England are moving ahead.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Vaughan injurd so Troughton in - won't necessarily weaken the batting that much.

Clarke dropped for Anderson - won't necessarily weaken the batting that much, but the bowling goes up 10fold!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmmm, despite both doing absolutely nothing a few days ago England decide to play Key and McGrath and only bring in Troughton as a late replacement. Sheesh...:duh:

Fletcher is getting on my nerves :!(

Langeveldt

Soutie
SA 76-3.. Jacques Rudolph run out, but sheesh he looks good..

Should be more than enough if England insist on Troughton, Key and McGrath though! :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, seeing as there's no-one else in the squad, I don't see what the problem is - they've selected the best available batsmen!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Well, seeing as there's no-one else in the squad, I don't see what the problem is - they've selected the best available batsmen!
Key, best available batsman? Sorry but I would have been ok if he had been picked as a replacement for Vaughan, but he was set to play anyway despite his dour debut against Zimbabwe.

Rich2001

International Captain
Key, best available batsman? Sorry but I would have been ok if he had been picked as a replacement for Vaughan, but he was set to play anyway despite his dour debut against Zimbabwe.
I don't get where you say he was going to play anyway, who said that?

Basically what's the point in saying Troughton in for Key and Key in for Vaughan... it's easier just to say Troughton for Vaughan is it not :rolleyes:

And iam not going to say your wrong, but a mate of mine from work went up to Notts for that opening game and he felt Key was looking in good touch and was one of the only players to be got out rather than throwing his wicket away.

As for the slow scoring I blieve nearly the whole side had poor S/R's even our most attacking batsman in Flintoff only score his 53 from 89 balls. And for that match he batted in that very tight spell where the spinners were on.

Oh and we are back to the same argument your judging him on his first ever ODI! - Give the guy a break and let him have time settle in, ok his played Tests before, but ODI are a whole new ball game.

What I find rather amusing is Key = 1 Poor game on debut, his rubbish get rid of him he is a poor batsman etc etc

Jim Troughton = 3 inngs with a total score of about 6, oh it's early days the guy needs time to settle, he is a massive talent.. he will get runs soon enough etc etc

In that last comment iam not saying Troughton is undersving of his place, just how the public take to a player and stick with it, Key, Clarke etc could score a couple of double 100's agaisnt Australia and everyone will still hate them :rolleyes: (before the that would never happen starts, it's an EXAMPLE!)

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
For those who question my views on McGrath and Key...I think you've got your answers.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
I don't get where you say he was going to play anyway, who said that?

Basically what's the point in saying Troughton in for Key and Key in for Vaughan... it's easier just to say Troughton for Vaughan is it not :rolleyes:
Ahhh well. Key was set to play today, he was in XI to play today that was shown on Cricinfo, Teletext...

He was set to come in at 4 but after Vaughan withdrew he was pushed up a spot and Troughton was rushed in at what was supposed to be number 4, but is at 6.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik's right on this. Troughton was set to miss out before Vaughan withdrew. Read the CricketWeb match report :)

SA 76-3.. Jacques Rudolph run out, but sheesh he looks good..

Should be more than enough if England insist on Troughton, Key and McGrath though!
Unfortunately for you, we also have Trescothick, Solanki and Flintoff, so we could have had me and Marc batting at 3 and 4 and no difference would it have made. And I can probably field better than Key.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
For those who question my views on McGrath and Key...I think you've got your answers.
One match when the game was up anyway?

Flintoff smashed some quick runs at the end (another fine all round performance from someone who is rapidly challenging to be top all rounder in ODI cirkcet), but I don't think we want to see him bat like that every time he's in at 5.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think we should bring in another Spinner to but pressure on Ashley Giles to produce as he has not got many wickets

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
I think we should bring in another Spinner to but pressure on Ashley Giles to produce as he has not got many wickets
The commentators on the radio were saying he just didn't seem to be trying to get wickets any more, just rush through his overs, but his econ is 5+ an over and if your not taking wickets and not keeping it tight then why bother playing him? That said, who could we bring in? I wish Jason Brown or Graeme Swann would wake up and start bowling well again because we need another spinner, Dawson is just not good enough to even play for Yorkshire and it seems they have realised that and they are playing Andy Gray instead. I wouldn't mind seeing Snape back, he didn't do too badly last time, and since we don't have a speciallist spinner good enough we might as well play someone who might get some runs too.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
One match when the game was up anyway?
Key has 11 runs at 5.5 in the 2 innings he's played, and he's managed to score them at strike rate of 35. Agreed he came in with the match basically won but still, trying a shot like that to your 1st ball is just asking for trouble. McGrath's got 49 runs at 12.25 in 5 games and 4 innings and 33 of them came in his 1st innings. He's got a strike rate of 36 and 1 wicket at 111.00, suddenly Clarke's 27 runs at 9.00 and 3 wickets at 37.66 look...well...bad but not as bad as they should look.

Rich2001

International Captain
Rik said:
Key has 11 runs at 5.5 in the 2 innings he's played, and he's managed to score them at strike rate of 35. Agreed he came in with the match basically won but still, trying a shot like that to your 1st ball is just asking for trouble.
So your telling me that only R.Key is silly enough to go after a juicy full ball about a foot and a half outside your off stump, that is just asking to be punished?

If he left it, he would have no doubt be condemed that he missed out on an easy 4 :rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
So your telling me that only R.Key is silly enough to go after a juicy full ball about a foot and a half outside your off stump, that is just asking to be punished?

If he left it, he would have no doubt be condemed that he missed out on an easy 4 :rolleyes:
Hehe, well it was his 1st ball, and ok I like to get off the mark as quickly as possible but I wouldn't go reaching that far for a ball that wide. To be fair he really didn't need to do that. He snapped and got himself out. McGrath was more unlucky, a good ball, though he got himself squared up.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well well....2 in 2 for Kallis. He's certainly found form. Good for him because he's one of my favourite players.

Ervine 5-0-39-1.....snapped back to reality.

Zimbabwe still in it with Friend batting well.