View Poll Results: The lesser waste of talent

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mohammed Ashraful

    3 37.50%
  • Hamilton Masakadza

    3 37.50%
  • Chanderpaul is my spare God!

    2 25.00%
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: The lesser waste of talent: Masakadza vs. Ashraful

  1. #1
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,130

    The lesser waste of talent: Masakadza vs. Ashraful

    Mohammed Ashraful vs Hamilton Masakadza

    Bothe set records for yungest player to ton up in a test match and both did it against test class opposition but neither seems to have gone very far with the potential. Both average less than 30 in ODIs and Tests. However both are still in their mid 20s so the question is who is more likely not to completely wate his talent as a cricketer

    Their career stats for reference

    Hamilton Masakadza

    Mohammed Ashraful
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Hmm, interesting thread. Firstly, i dont think i ever thought much of Masakadza as a minnow nation player. Ashraful has talent no doubt, but i reckon people expect a bit too much from him.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,230
    I don't consider either to be a waste of talent although for different reasons neither have been given a situation where they are going to make the most of their undoubted abilities

    Both have youth on their side and there is no reason why they shouldn't make the most of their gifts - what I think would really help them both would be a season or two of county cricket - the ECB should exempt them, and perhaps a couple of others, from overseas status each year in order to help their development

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,568
    Masakadza is gun. I mean the guy can reverse cover drive Murali and Mendis.


  5. #5
    State Captain Chubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,870
    I'd sooner have Hamilton, because he has a better head on his shoulders. He doesn't throw his wicket away as much as Ashraful does, even though he has less talent. The problem with comparison here is that Ashraful gets the opportunities in tests Hamilton doesn't. Hamilton is a decent bat who could be a very good one, Ashraful is a poor batsman who should be a sublime one and has proven to be so over a lengthy test career. That's the difference.
    Last edited by Chubb; 28-01-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,130
    Was thinking County cricket should open up and allow more overseas players to counter the effect of teams depending on Kolpaks from a very small pool of select countries i.e South africa nad West Indies.

    If teams like Leicestershire replaced half their Kolpaks with random overseas players from all over the world players like Ashraful and Masakadza would certainly find a place for themselves.

  7. #7
    State 12th Man Jigga988's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    Was thinking County cricket should open up and allow more overseas players to counter the effect of teams depending on Kolpaks from a very small pool of select countries i.e South africa nad West Indies.

    If teams like Leicestershire replaced half their Kolpaks with random overseas players from all over the world players like Ashraful and Masakadza would certainly find a place for themselves.
    For the record barely any West Indians around through kolpack though there is a bucket full of mediocre Saffies. Don't think weakenig the county game will benefit England so I don't see the reason why they'd do it. Don't really think it's fair on England that they have to harbor all these overseas players and lose places for good young English talent, current situation. Having said that I would like to see more Windians there as we have a short domestic tourney, despite the lengthening and if you took only 5 or 6 of the best players from minnow sides then can't say that would make the county scene a worse place.
    TRINIS

    We run fast

    We talk fast

    We drive fast

    ...everything else we do slooooooow

  8. #8
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigga988 View Post
    For the record barely any West Indians around through kolpack though there is a bucket full of mediocre Saffies. Don't think weakenig the county game will benefit England so I don't see the reason why they'd do it. Don't really think it's fair on England that they have to harbor all these overseas players and lose places for good young English talent, current situation. Having said that I would like to see more Windians there as we have a short domestic tourney, despite the lengthening and if you took only 5 or 6 of the best players from minnow sides then can't say that would make the county scene a worse place.
    That there are so many kolpaks shows that there is enough space for the mythical 'English youngsters@ plus a whole load of more cricketers. So why leave a limiting law that only players from one or two countries qualify whilst there are so many other nations with decent players who could bring one or two new aspects to the way cricket is played at county level.

  9. #9
    State 12th Man Jigga988's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    That there are so many kolpaks shows that there is enough space for the mythical 'English youngsters@ plus a whole load of more cricketers. So why leave a limiting law that only players from one or two countries qualify whilst there are so many other nations with decent players who could bring one or two new aspects to the way cricket is played at county level.
    I understand the situation with South Africa is a joke but I don't think it has to be down to England to nurture minnows talent ant try to make them up to the standard that a lot of county players are already that, as opposed to nurturing young English talent.

  10. #10
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigga988 View Post
    I understand the situation with South Africa is a joke but I don't think it has to be down to England to nurture minnows talent ant try to make them up to the standard that a lot of county players are already that, as opposed to nurturing young English talent.
    You say that as though aside from kolpaks the County system would flood with Afghan and and Argentinian cricketers which is not the case. However I do feel that if players like Niall Obrien and William portefrield can make a career with County teams as well as a whole host of South africans who may never be more than domestic journeymen, then there is no reason why the likes of Masakadza, Ashraful, and maybe even Shakib al Hassan, players who despite the weakness of their domestic systems have some international pedigree can't go where they would have a better shot at really testing their skills.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,905
    Ashraful is immensely talented, absolutely ridiculous how low his average is.

  12. #12
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,623
    Hamilton is less talented therefore he is the lesser waste of talent (as they have both been average overall).
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •