• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The lesser waste of talent: Masakadza vs. Ashraful

The lesser waste of talent

• Total voters

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Mohammed Ashraful vs Hamilton Masakadza

Bothe set records for yungest player to ton up in a test match and both did it against test class opposition but neither seems to have gone very far with the potential. Both average less than 30 in ODIs and Tests. However both are still in their mid 20s so the question is who is more likely not to completely wate his talent as a cricketer

Their career stats for reference

Hamilton Masakadza

Mohammed Ashraful

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, interesting thread. Firstly, i dont think i ever thought much of Masakadza as a minnow nation player. Ashraful has talent no doubt, but i reckon people expect a bit too much from him.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't consider either to be a waste of talent although for different reasons neither have been given a situation where they are going to make the most of their undoubted abilities

Both have youth on their side and there is no reason why they shouldn't make the most of their gifts - what I think would really help them both would be a season or two of county cricket - the ECB should exempt them, and perhaps a couple of others, from overseas status each year in order to help their development

Chubb

International Regular
I'd sooner have Hamilton, because he has a better head on his shoulders. He doesn't throw his wicket away as much as Ashraful does, even though he has less talent. The problem with comparison here is that Ashraful gets the opportunities in tests Hamilton doesn't. Hamilton is a decent bat who could be a very good one, Ashraful is a poor batsman who should be a sublime one and has proven to be so over a lengthy test career. That's the difference.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking County cricket should open up and allow more overseas players to counter the effect of teams depending on Kolpaks from a very small pool of select countries i.e South africa nad West Indies.

If teams like Leicestershire replaced half their Kolpaks with random overseas players from all over the world players like Ashraful and Masakadza would certainly find a place for themselves.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Was thinking County cricket should open up and allow more overseas players to counter the effect of teams depending on Kolpaks from a very small pool of select countries i.e South africa nad West Indies.

If teams like Leicestershire replaced half their Kolpaks with random overseas players from all over the world players like Ashraful and Masakadza would certainly find a place for themselves.
For the record barely any West Indians around through kolpack though there is a bucket full of mediocre Saffies. Don't think weakenig the county game will benefit England so I don't see the reason why they'd do it. Don't really think it's fair on England that they have to harbor all these overseas players and lose places for good young English talent, current situation. Having said that I would like to see more Windians there as we have a short domestic tourney, despite the lengthening and if you took only 5 or 6 of the best players from minnow sides then can't say that would make the county scene a worse place.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
For the record barely any West Indians around through kolpack though there is a bucket full of mediocre Saffies. Don't think weakenig the county game will benefit England so I don't see the reason why they'd do it. Don't really think it's fair on England that they have to harbor all these overseas players and lose places for good young English talent, current situation. Having said that I would like to see more Windians there as we have a short domestic tourney, despite the lengthening and if you took only 5 or 6 of the best players from minnow sides then can't say that would make the county scene a worse place.
That there are so many kolpaks shows that there is enough space for the mythical 'English youngsters@ plus a whole load of more cricketers. So why leave a limiting law that only players from one or two countries qualify whilst there are so many other nations with decent players who could bring one or two new aspects to the way cricket is played at county level.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
That there are so many kolpaks shows that there is enough space for the mythical 'English youngsters@ plus a whole load of more cricketers. So why leave a limiting law that only players from one or two countries qualify whilst there are so many other nations with decent players who could bring one or two new aspects to the way cricket is played at county level.
I understand the situation with South Africa is a joke but I don't think it has to be down to England to nurture minnows talent ant try to make them up to the standard that a lot of county players are already that, as opposed to nurturing young English talent.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand the situation with South Africa is a joke but I don't think it has to be down to England to nurture minnows talent ant try to make them up to the standard that a lot of county players are already that, as opposed to nurturing young English talent.
You say that as though aside from kolpaks the County system would flood with Afghan and and Argentinian cricketers which is not the case. However I do feel that if players like Niall Obrien and William portefrield can make a career with County teams as well as a whole host of South africans who may never be more than domestic journeymen, then there is no reason why the likes of Masakadza, Ashraful, and maybe even Shakib al Hassan, players who despite the weakness of their domestic systems have some international pedigree can't go where they would have a better shot at really testing their skills.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashraful is immensely talented, absolutely ridiculous how low his average is.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hamilton is less talented therefore he is the lesser waste of talent (as they have both been average overall).