• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni Vs KP ; ODIs

Who's the better ODI player?

• Total voters

Precambrian

Banned
Who's the better ODI player?

Dhoni has become an ODI legend with another rescue act today, his umpteenth since he took up captaincy. He rarely looks out of touch in ODIs, and his innings today was a mixture of aggression and deft placements.

Pietersen imho, is a big innings player. When he gets going, he ensures he makes it count. Unfortunately he tends to be bipolar these days far too much for England's liking.

Dhoni for me.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not comparable. If you need 80 more off 80 deliveries, you want Dhoni arriving at the crease. If you need 40 more off 20 deliveries, you want KP arriving at the crease.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not comparable. If you need 80 more off 80 deliveries, you want Dhoni arriving at the crease. If you need 40 more off 20 deliveries, you want KP arriving at the crease.
In that they're both not players currently playing ODIs? :huh:

Uppercut

I explained ^

ODI batsmen play such different roles it's difficult to compare them. In a test, whoever scores more runs is better, simple as that. In an ODI, should the credit go to the guy who bats through with a run-a-ball hundred or the one who hits 60 off 25 balls at the death?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I explained ^

ODI batsmen play such different roles it's difficult to compare them. In a test, whoever scores more runs is better, simple as that. In an ODI, should the credit go to the guy who bats through with a run-a-ball hundred or the one who hits 60 off 25 balls at the death?
If you could have just one in your team, who would it be?

Precambrian

Banned
DWTA. That is particular, in fact very particular criteria. Also, tell me when has Pietersen bailed out England from such a situation? And Dhoni is equally if not more destructive in such a case.

Precambrian

Banned
I explained ^

Again, KP batted for most times at 4, 5 and perhaps 6. Dhoni has a similar record, except that he doesnt bat often at 4. Seems to be fair comparison.

Uppercut

If you could have just one in your team, who would it be?
It depends what my team looks like. If I'm England and i have a lot of people who can bat through and none who can score quickly, I'll take KP. If I'm Bangladesh and my team is full of serial brain-farters, I'll take Dhoni.

Uppercut

DWTA. That is particular, in fact very particular criteria. Also, tell me when has Pietersen bailed out England from such a situation? And Dhoni is equally if not more destructive in such a case.
Well obviously if you think Dhoni's better in all situations then you can easily compare them. But i don't.

Precambrian

Banned
It depends what my team looks like. If I'm England and i have a lot of people who can bat through and none who can score quickly, I'll take KP. If I'm Bangladesh and my team is full of serial brain-farters, I'll take Dhoni.
It is perhaps a disservice to reduce Pietersen to the status of an end overs slogger which he is not. Also note KP's SR is 87 as compared to Dhoni's 91.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd have it the other way around actually, and pick KP because of it. KP is much better at the longer innings than Dhoni, and Dhoni could be more destructive. But longer innings are almost always better, even in ODIs, except when your S/R is really low, which it obviously isn't in either of these cases.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pietersen to me is the better batsman, but despite his awesome ODI record, he's not really making the best of his talent.

Dhoni seems to have more performances under his belt atm.

KP is often carrying his team though, whilst Dhoni, though he leads from the front, still has Sachin, Yuvraj, Gambhir and Sehwag who would all walk into the England ODI team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd have it the other way around actually, and pick KP because of it. KP is much better at the longer innings than Dhoni, and Dhoni could be more destructive. But longer innings are almost always better, even in ODIs, except when your S/R is really low, which it obviously isn't in either of these cases.
Nah, you're stuck in 2006. Dhoni far less likely to give his wicket away nowadays.

Uppercut

You don't. However can you put some justification for such thought? Or is it mere bias?
You don't seriously think I'm pro-England and anti-India? Cos everyone up here thinks the opposite. Damn persecution complexes.

I just think KP's better at slogging than Dhoni. Hardly an insane and controversial opinion.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, you're stuck in 2006. Dhoni far less likely to give his wicket away nowadays.
Well Dhoni has certainly matured as a batsman, I'm definitely not denying that. But KP is still better than Dhoni at the longer innings.

Of course, I stopped watching ODIs and haven't really watched one in like a year, so I'm probably just saying that out of my ass.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well Dhoni has certainly matured as a batsman, I'm definitely not denying that. But KP is still better than Dhoni at the longer innings.

Of course, I stopped watching ODIs and haven't really watched one in like a year, so I'm probably just saying that out of my ass.
KP has had a habit of throwing his wicket away now, whereas Dhoni less so.

Whether that immediately makes Dhoni better is up for debate, but if I wanted 80 from a player I'd probably want Dhoni in. Particularly if the team needed around 120 from 110 balls.

Precambrian

Banned
Interestingly after a good start in 2005, and 06, KP's ODI fortunes have dipped considerably, his average as well as his SR.

Dhoni's on the other hand has remained excellent despite a relatively bad year in 06.