• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the better ODI batsman?

Who's the better ODI batsman?

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha I knew this would be the comparison when I chose to open this thread.

Too close to call IMO. Viv may just edge it, but you're really splitting hairs.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hence the question... I honestly don't know either. The only thing maybe tipping me one way or another is that Viv compiled his record in a period when scoring was generally lower, apart from him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep, that's what made me perhaps see Viv as edging it.

Possibly can counter with the fact that Sachin has had a greater burden on his shoulders when batting in ODIs, and perhaps argue greater longevity as well.

Matt79

Global Moderator
And opened, although whether that's really a disadvantage what with fielding restrictions, plus Viv batting 3 anyway? Maybe, just maybe, Sachin faced better ODI bowlers (or at least more accomplished?)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
King Viv's ODI record is actually a fair bit better, i just noticed (to my surprise).

Precambrian

Banned
Tendulkar for me, although I know this one is immensely close. Not going by bias, since this is not a thread worthy of it. But the sheer longetivity of Tendulkar, and his consistency and the value added by his bowling all makes Tendulkar a better match-winner than Viv in ODIs. I know Viv chucked a few like Tendulkar, but just the volumes. And since they operated in very different eras and in different conditions, a comparison is actually unfair.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Garner, Richards, Tendulkar would be the first three names I'd jot down in my ODI XI, probably in that order. He had 11 centuries in 187 matches, which is much lower than Tendulkar, but he had a higher S/R than Sachin at a time when no one had that type of S/R. Though he never faced his own fast bowlers, he faced plenty of really good ones, and intimidated them all. In Tests I'd go Sachin, but in ODIs, I'd go Richards. I could see it the other way too, but I think Richards was better.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Viv's ODI bowling record is miiiiiiiles better than Sachin's (even if you choose to allow for conditions they played in).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tendulkar for me, although I know this one is immensely close. Not going by bias, since this is not a thread worthy of it. But the sheer longetivity of Tendulkar, and his consistency and the value added by his bowling all makes Tendulkar a better match-winner than Viv in ODIs. I know Viv chucked a few like Tendulkar, but just the volumes. And since they operated in very different eras and in different conditions, a comparison is actually unfair.
Viv's ODI bowling record is miiiiiiiles better than Sachin's (even if you choose to allow for conditions they played in).
Yeah, Viv was definitely a better ODI bowler than Sachin.

Uppercut

Matchwinner I said. Averages lie in this case. Tendulkar is a partnership breaker. Anyway out of context I suppose.
A partnership breaker who was a lot less likely to break a partnership than Viv. Hard to dig yourself out of this one :p

Forgetting the bowling though, I'd probably punt for Viv out of personal preference.

shankar

International Debutant
King Viv's ODI record is actually a fair bit better, i just noticed (to my surprise).
When considering Tendulkar's ODI record, it needs to be remembered that his ideal position is opening the batting. As an opener he averages nearly 48 with a SR of 88. And if you take his peak period (taking out the last 5 years) his figures are staggering - an average of 50.62 at a SR of 89.8 over 214 innings!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
When considering Tendulkar's ODI record, it needs to be remembered that his ideal position is opening the batting. As an opener he averages nearly 48 with a SR of 88. And if you take his peak period (taking out the last 5 years) his figures are staggering - an average of 50.62 at a SR of 89.8 over 214 innings!
What does Viv's look like if you take out his last few years?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
You're bound to get more statistical outliers in the nascent stages of the evolution of a game than later when the core tactics are more prevalent.

krkode

State Captain
Hard question to answer but for the sake of giving an answer I'd point to longevity, sheer force of burden on his shoulders and over all playing for a weaker team throughout his career, and thus pick Tendulkar.

Really a moot point though considering I've never seen Viv Richards batting (live).